Author Topic: 31 Weeks lead time for an R  (Read 47213 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
31 Weeks lead time for an R
« on: 09 November 2014, 10:07 »
All this talk of people looking at moving to an R got me thinking too. So yesterday I popped over to my dealers for "a chat"   :wink:
Turns out if you factory ordered now and spec Dynaudio as it is now available  to order (but not being accepted by the factory for another 2 weeks) you are looking at a 31 week wait for your car!!
Not sure what to do now. We did have a look on the system and there are a few cars already in the system but nearly all of them are Christmas tree specs that would be mental money
I self funded my current Gti and I now plan to start paying myself back so wondered if I could get the money my car owes me back and then pay what I would of payed myself into a pcp on a Golf R.
Turns out I could but the long lead time would put a massive spanner in the works as Dynaudio is non negotiable.
What to do ????
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 31 Weeks lead time for an R
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2014, 10:18 »
Depends how desperate you are for two extra tail-pipes and a bit of extra traction and how badly you want to pay VWFS interest payments?
It seems your mind is already made up so the best thing you can do is keep bugging dealers for when cancelled orders come up as I'm sure there will be more than one or two. Register with brokers etc and they'll email you when cars become available in your price range for 'immediate delivery'.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2014, 13:38 »
Depends how desperate you are for two extra tail-pipes and a bit of extra traction and how badly you want to pay VWFS interest payments?
It seems your mind is already made up so the best thing you can do is keep bugging dealers for when cancelled orders come up as I'm sure there will be more than one or two. Register with brokers etc and they'll email you when cars become available in your price range for 'immediate delivery'.

I'm sure there'll be a few too. I know of one lad on the R forum who is on the verge of canclling his order because the dealer/VWFS couldn't or wouldn't lock in the old GFV and he's looking at £97 a month more than he thought he was. I doubt he'll be the only one if there really is no way to secure the old deal.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2014, 13:55 »
I can well imagine! There will be a few very disappointed buyers out there who may need a change of underwear once they see how much the figures have changed. A real shame for those buyers too but at the end of the day that bubble was always going to burst and the ones who got in early and secured the bargain deals will be happy!
It's a bit of a double edged sword for a buyer - a 31 week wait is a huge pain in the derriere, especially if you have costs that will be incurred in the meantime (tyres, services, maintenance etc) but then again when there is that sort of supply and demand situation it's only going to be good for resale prices. Swings and roundabouts.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2014, 14:08 »
Exonian: Having to wait that long for an R does seem to imply that supply and demand shouldn't see poor to average residuals, so i'm really not sure why the GFV took such a caning.

Are they trying to disuade the leasers from offering terms that eclipse VWs own?

Are they trying to change their business model so people do see a sizeable p/x equity in their R come trade-in time to keep them loyal to the brand?

Or are they really not that confident that the R will hold it's value well at all?

Bigger GFV cuts help the iconic GTI out a lot in terms of monthly costs - the R is back costing a significant amount more than the GTI on PCP again. Are they trying to protect the GTI brand from looking like the non-value for money option?

I could only think the third option could be true if they really are looking to a flooded market either by leasers or their own doing in making a car that is heaped with Journo praise, but without a demand that significantly outstrips supply.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2014, 14:14 »

While I agree with what you say about VWFS I try to take a more simplistic approach. I have a set amount monthly I am willing to pay. As long as I get back into my account what I put in 6 months ago and don't touch it, apart from not actually owning the car it should have enough in it to use as a deposit and start all over again in three years time.... Or am I missing something??
Never been down the PCP route so any advice welcomed I have always arranged a personal loan in the past and have changed my car every three years for the last 20 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Feel free to save me from myself if I have missed something  :smiley:

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2014, 14:29 »
@Monkeyhanger: I think VW panicked when they saw the lease deal order numbers explode exponentially and I don't think it was just the GTI that suffered sales drops - I'd hazard a guess that it was sporty models across the whole VAG brand. So yes, they're trying to restore their ordered Germanic hierarchy of models and protect the iconic GTI in particular not wanting a pile of engines and bumpers left on the shelves for years and I'd also look at the Scirocco and Audi cousins too. Something had to give. And yes, by limiting supply now by having a big waiting list will help support the resale values and prop up the GFV figures providing equity so that punters won't just be walking away at the end of the term.
They (VW) have succeeded in getting the R brand on the map in the UK (going from its very poor mk6 sales) and slipped up slightly with the unforeseen rush for orders on the back of the internet offers going viral. VW are just taking a deep breath!

@JB: As I said above, there's no perfect way of doing it and I was assuming you paid cash from your first post. If indeed you have a bank loan and wish to repay it and take a PCP then why indeed not! The only difference is that you have HP on the car instead of having a loan against you as a person. If you've got itchy feet and can afford it then you can do a lot worse than 'invest' in an R!!! I'd be tempted! I'm just sat back watching the market settle a bit at the moment; deals come and deals go so when the moment is right for you...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2014, 14:58 »

@JB: As I said above, there's no perfect way of doing it and I was assuming you paid cash from your first post. If indeed you have a bank loan and wish to repay it and take a PCP then why indeed not! The only difference is that you have HP on the car instead of having a loan against you as a person. If you've got itchy feet and can afford it then you can do a lot worse than 'invest' in an R!!! I'd be tempted! I'm just sat back watching the market settle a bit at the moment; deals come and deals go so when the moment is right for you...

Exonian:
I used my old Scirocco that was already mine as part payment then used my own money to fund the rest for my current GTI. As it stands I can all but get back my own money that I paid the balance on my GTI and put that back in the bank then use the px from the GTI against a 3dr Lapis Blue DSG R with Pretoria's, Dynaudio, Keyless, Discover Nav and rear camera for the same amount per month that I was planning to pay myself back for my GTI over three years. To me it seems a bit of a no brainer and too simple and that's whats worrying me  :shocked: Surely it can't be that easy can it??
It now all hinges on a call from my dealer to let me know if an unattached car they have "found" in the system is not too far down the line and can be doctored to add a couple of the extra options I want without the long wait.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2014, 15:03 »
The only thing missing there is the balloon payment at the end which won't leave you with much cash!!  :grin:

Nice spec R btw.
I doubt I'd bother with keyless personally but it's not a bad thing to have and the R is quite 'vocal' so Dynaudio might get a bit 'lost' and both options will be sought after when you sell it used (despite not getting much actual ££ back on them)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2014, 15:15 »
The only thing missing there is the balloon payment at the end which won't leave you with much cash!!  :grin:

Nice spec R btw.
I doubt I'd bother with keyless personally but it's not a bad thing to have and the R is quite 'vocal' so Dynaudio might get a bit 'lost' and both options will be sought after when you sell it used (despite not getting much actual ££ back on them)

The balloon payment you mention only applies if you want to keep it though doesn't it ??  :laugh: