Author Topic: Rear suspension noise  (Read 12789 times)

Offline fuelboss

• Just got here
Re: MK7 GTI Performance rear suspension noise
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2015, 21:49 »
My GTI MK7 has already had a damper change on the rear and it made no difference. That particular  hollow clonking, knocking sound has nothing to do with parcel shelf balls or spare wheel etc as I have removed everything and still the noise remains. Check out youtube and you can read more about my experience and that of others and listen to two recordings of the irritating noise www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1cLNtr75Y You can hear one of my recordings www.the-algarve.co.uk/Recording-in-GTI-041114

The car goes back to dealer last week in March. My car has standard dampers and not DCC.

I just do not understand that so many people have complained and yet few have had the issue cured even after a damper changed. The part number of my replacements are 500 613 029GL and as far as I understand this is still the most up to date part number. Strange that after a couple of years in production  VW are still selling Golfs right at this moment that require a damper change. if the dampers are the main source of the noise then why do we still have a problem in 2015?

I bet there are many with this peculiar noise that just never report it.

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
Re: Rear suspension noise
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2015, 11:29 »
Mine makes the exact sound as your second recording but nowhere near as often and constant as yours. Mine went in to VW and they repositioned the rear gaitors which made it a little better.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline fuelboss

• Just got here
Re: Rear suspension noise
« Reply #32 on: 10 March 2015, 12:15 »
Thanks for the post.

Interesting to read that you have DCC, so that means it is a different dampers altogether from mine, yet you still had an issue! So it appears to be the case that vehicles with and without DCC make the same noise.

It was good to hear of your experience and the issue of gaitors, though you say it is only a little better rather than noise completely gone.This is the first time I have read that gaitors could contribute to this noise. I feel less and less confident in VW's ability to actually identify and rectify this issue. Some owners report that a change of dampers has cured the issue while others say it doesn't.

The sound that you heard from my audio clip was really highlighting my issue as the roads I was travelling over during the recording had many pedestrian crossings and roundabout approaches fitted with raised sections to slow drivers down.

I have read that VW say that it is the valves on the dampers that make the noise. Well in my view I am sure if that were the case that VW could engineer the sound out of the part. I am so dissatisfied with what I listen to on daily basis that I feel I may be doing battle with VW in the next couple of weeks when I return the car to the dealer in England, particularly in view of the fact that the dampers were changed but made no difference. One of my questions to VW will be that if they considered that a change of dampers would rectify the issue then why didn't it.

Thanks again