Author Topic: Fishy Smell!  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
Fishy Smell!
« on: 10 March 2014, 06:26 »
Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light pls?

Drove from Kent to Manchester last night upon getting out my GTD there was a really strong smell of fish! I'd also noticed a white cloud of smoke out the back when I accelerated out of a 50mph zone on the M'Way back up to 70mph.

My first thought is coolant leak.........

I'll check fluid levels first thing today as I didn't fancy checking the car at 10pm last night in an open car park. What oil and coolant should be used if required?
GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
Re: Fishy Smell!
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2014, 06:33 »
Only thing I ever came across on a car that smells like fish is gearbox oil.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2014, 07:32 »
Vapourising coolant can have a vaguely fishy smell, as you've already alluded to. I suppose a check of all fluid levels revealed nothing. Have you been running your diesel on cod liver oil?  :whistle:

If in doubt about what to use, go see your dealership, the parts department aren't much dearer than Halfrauds (if any) for the higher end stuff.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2014, 17:09 »
Yes I often drop in tank of cold lover oil!!!!

Called the dealer and they said it was the DPF doing its thing , however coolant was seriously low when I checked it so topped it up and left Manchester for Cardiff last night.

Happy to report when I arrived there was no fishy whiff and when the coolant had cooled it was still at the level I had topped it up - so I'd say the tech had diagnosed it correctly as it being the DPF.

Not looking forward to smelling that again!!
GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!