Author Topic: VCDS Wiki - Help needed :) - Advice wanted!  (Read 12532 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
VCDS Wiki - Help needed :) - Advice wanted!
« on: 20 January 2014, 21:33 »
Hi All,  i've been lurking in the VCDS pages for a while, and was starting to get frustrated a bit with joining it all together, and was a bit bored :) - so i have created a very basic wiki page to try and keep track of them.

Now i could have waited a bit longer, but i think the site is usable! (Will soon find out!).  Lots of tidying up to do, and lots of functionality to add.  My aim is to add as much info about the VCDS/Rosstech/VAG-COM stuff as i can.

Specifically it holds coding/adaptation records, but i will expand to hold more.
yes there is a forum, but i don't want to take a way from here in any respect, and therefore mainly to be used to collect support and help from people :)

I have only added 3 or 4 of the current posts as an example, but wanted the site to be tested, so left loads for other people to upload! (HINT HINT!) :)

Each link has a credit/weblink etc post, so linking back to either the forum or profile picture where required :)

Very much hoping this post doesnt go against any forum rules? (Once my link exchange is up, and i get time to sort domain names out, i will link back through :) ) - anyway seen other peoples web links here, hehe :)

Without further ado - the unbranded  - un-doimain-named link is: - http://vcds.greg-roberts.com/

Please feel free to swear at me, hate it :) - but at least be productive when critical :)

So much more to add - and well, getting tired and need a ciggy :)  (And yes, image upload isnt working on the vcds entry page, but that'll soon be figured out, if the registration form works!) :P

VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: VCDS Wiki - Help needed :) - Advice wanted!
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2014, 21:48 »
Super idea this fella. Tip my cap for the effort involved.

Shame it couldn't be integrated into the forum somehow (mods)??
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2014, 21:50 »
Hi - I started something similar over on http://golf7vcds.moonfruit.com a few weeks ago, after giving up on the idea of a wikipage - which is what I was trying to do in the first place!

More than happy to help out and transfer the contact over (along with references) to your wiki, it's not something that one person can tackle alone and a wiki is definitely more appropriate for the task at hand!

I presume you're needing to approve registrations such that only certain members can modify/ add tweaks? Don't want random untested things being added!

Good work.

Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2014, 21:53 »
Super idea this fella. Tip my cap for the effort involved.

Shame it couldn't be integrated into the forum somehow (mods)??

Hehe already thought of that, and well, will speak to the mods, but will see the interest, if they can utilize openid or similar, theres no reason why the accounts here won't work there and visa versa. :)

Thank you ! :)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2014, 21:56 »
Hi - I started something similar over on http://golf7vcds.moonfruit.com a few weeks ago, after giving up on the idea of a wikipage - which is what I was trying to do in the first place!

More than happy to help out and transfer the contact over (along with references) to your wiki, it's not something that one person can tackle alone and a wiki is definitely more appropriate for the task at hand!

I presume you're needing to approve registrations such that only certain members can modify/ add tweaks? Don't want random untested things being added!

Good work.

Hey Jive, i'm so sorry, i didn't see your post! Really not wanting to tread on toes etc - but more then happy to work with you on it :)  And will always need help, so happy to hand over the keys to bits! :)

Good question, spent most of tonight getting this done, so permissions may be a bit out, need to check it myself later :) - at the moment the forum is normal, and you have to be registered to post, (Email registration authentication on register).

Will be interesting to see who can edit what :P - permissions are a pain, but should be easy to fix if i got it wrong :)

What i think should work well, is the filter / search tool.  In theory when you browse them, it splits them into categories, but i can customize it quite extensively.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2014, 21:58 »
Here is a quick screeny of the sorted / filter etc... - (Bit of css tidying up needed, but hopefully viewable ) :)

The below shot means i need to do some work sorting out spaces / new lines etc...

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2014, 22:02 »

Good work.

Forgot to add, just seen yours! I like it!
As soon as i get the image upload working (few ajax/CSS3 issues), images and uploads will be needed :) - also, as mentioned earlier, any help etc would be great! :) - Ideas as well, lots of ideas!!

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2014, 22:03 »
Wow wow this looks wicked  :laugh:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2014, 22:09 »
Wow wow this looks wicked  :laugh:

Thankyou!!!
(I better go add a bugs section hehe!)

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2014, 22:27 »

Good work.

Hey Jive, i'm so sorry, i didn't see your post! Really not wanting to tread on toes etc - but more then happy to work with you on it :)  And will always need help, so happy to hand over the keys to bits! :)

Good question, spent most of tonight getting this done, so permissions may be a bit out, need to check it myself later :) - at the moment the forum is normal, and you have to be registered to post, (Email registration authentication on register).

Will be interesting to see who can edit what :P - permissions are a pain, but should be easy to fix if i got it wrong :)

What i think should work well, is the filter / search tool.  In theory when you browse them, it splits them into categories, but i can customize it quite extensively.

No problem at all, the more the merrier. I was only grabbing all the info I could, clarifying where necessary, and then pooling this in one central location, no fancy search tool! I'll happily dedicate some time to helping you out when I can.

If you're interested, I even went so far as buying golf7vcds.co.uk, it's parked at the minute as I didn't get around to finding hosting service, can use this if you want?

Will email tomorrow to begin helping you out.
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep