Author Topic: Checklist for the GTI  (Read 12253 times)

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
Checklist for the GTI
« on: 01 October 2013, 16:05 »
Afternoon Gents,

Since I have now started going slightly mad waiting for this damn car, I decided to make a checklist for when it does finally arrive as I have a feeling i might miss something. I basically used a checklist someone on this forum made for the MK6 (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163067.0) I've condensed it down slightly, made alterations that apply to the MK7 and personalised it for my order.

Feel free to use it if you want and change it for your situation. However, I still feel like I've missed something. anybody got anything else that they think can be added?

Any feedback much appreciated :D

List below:

A.   Things to check before pickup:
1.   Confirm price (check dynaudio has been added and service plan is £199 down from £249)
2.   Check main insurance and GAP insurance
3.   Make sure that you get to choose the number plate
4.   Make sure the old car is part ex'd and V5C is signed
5.   Take CD(s) and 30-pin to lightening converter when collecting
6.   Ask for stickers to be removed from rear window

B.   Items to be delivered:
1.   3 door car
2.   Manual
3.   Deep Black Pearl paint (NOT FLAT BLACK)
4.   Performance pack (GTI logo on brake calipers)
5.   Two keys (make sure they have GTI engraved plastic pieces and both open and start the car)
6.   English manuals
7.   V5C Document and 12 Month Tax (both will be posted out later but you should get a letter to say the tax is in the post)
8.   iPod lead
9.   Locking wheel nut and tools in the boot
10.  Service plan (ask about service intervals)
11.  Full Tank of Fuel
12.  Dynaudio (Sub in the spare wheel and marking on tweeters located in the pillars)
13.  Set of mats

C.   Quality control:
1.   Check delivery mileage and reset if dealership hasn't already (hold mileage reset button for 30 seconds)
2.   Check the oil, water and other fluids and that they are not left at shipping levels
3.   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle
4.   Make sure dealer has filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
5.   Check panel alignment
6.   Test full, half beam, indicators, fog lights, hazard warning and interior lights
7.   Test rear lights and make sure all 4 sections are working
8.   Check tyres for damage, pressures and the spare in the boot
9.   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10.  Check the bolt caps and centre badges have been fitted on the wheels
« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 16:33 by GTI_Redpath »
MK7 Golf GTI Performance, 3 Door, Manual, DBP, Dynaudio, Service Pack

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Checklist for the GTI
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2013, 16:08 »
V5C and Tax arrive in the post after a few days.  Not sure from your list if you meant that, or if it meant you expected to pick them up from the dealer.  They should give you a letter indicating the tax disc is on its way though, should any coppers doubt your integrity.

Good list though!

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2013, 16:12 »
V5C and Tax arrive in the post after a few days.  Not sure from your list if you meant that, or if it meant you expected to pick them up from the dealer.  They should give you a letter indicating the tax disc is on its way though, should any coppers doubt your integrity.

Good list though!

I didnt realise that about the V5 and the tax, i'll alter the original post

Thanks, I'll be honest i nicked most of this from the mk6 list  :laugh:

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2013, 16:13 »
No security code with the radio either nowadays AFAIK.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2013, 16:15 »
No security code with the radio either nowadays AFAIK.

I'll take that out, thanks

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2013, 16:39 »
Maybe just the way your list reads, but you won't get a plastic security tag with each key, and the GTI tag/engraving is a screw on addition to the normal key, there aren't 2 key variants. If the GTI bits didn't come with the car for whatever reason then you could have them added later without putting off car collection.

No need to remind about 7 day insurance being taken out on your behalf - you must ring VW insurance to activate it before the dealer can get the car taxed, and you dealer will ring you to ask you to do this when the car arrives or at least by the day of expected pick up so that they can tax it. Choosing your plate is a dealer discretion thing - don't expect it if you haven't asked for it, some just don't (like mine).

You won't get a USB lead unless you made prior arrangements to pay for one or the dealer put one in at your request, same for full tank of fuel (you'll get about 4 gallons as standard).

I wouldn't worry too much about checking correct operation of all equipment, just the safety related ones (lights, oil, water, brake fluid), anything that doesn't work is covered by the warranty. Damage checks are far more important (unless you want the handover period to last a few hours).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2013, 16:50 »
Maybe just the way your list reads, but you won't get a plastic security tag with each key, and the GTI tag/engraving is a screw on addition to the normal key, there aren't 2 key variants. If the GTI bits didn't come with the car for whatever reason then you could have them added later without putting off car collection.

No need to remind about 7 day insurance being taken out on your behalf - you must ring VW insurance to activate it before the dealer can get the car taxed, and you dealer will ring you to ask you to do this when the car arrives or at least by the day of expected pick up so that they can tax it. Choosing your plate is a dealer discretion thing - don't expect it if you haven't asked for it, some just don't (like mine).

You won't get a USB lead unless you made prior arrangements to pay for one or the dealer put one in at your request, same for full tank of fuel (you'll get about 4 gallons as standard).

I wouldn't worry too much about checking correct operation of all equipment, just the safety related ones (lights, oil, water, brake fluid), anything that doesn't work is covered by the warranty. Damage checks are far more important (unless you want the handover period to last a few hours).

the GTI plastic pieces is what i meant in my list. just my horrendous grasp of forming a sentence letting me down there.  :laugh: only added that point because someone posted on here that they hadn't got those with their keys. The choosing the plate and the full tank are personal points i have asked for. the operational checks i did think was slight overkill so will probably remove them. thanks for the feed back on that, very thorough :D

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2013, 17:02 »

the GTI plastic pieces is what i meant in my list. just my horrendous grasp of forming a sentence letting me down there. :whistle: only added that point because someone posted on here that they hadn't got those with their keys. The choosing the plate and the full tank are personal points i have asked for. the operational checks i did think was slight overkill so will probably remove them. thanks for the feed back on that, very thorough :D

Offline allycat45

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2013, 17:04 »
That's a great list Redpath. Many thanks.

I have been thinking of trying to make one today as I expect to collect this week (ooohh excited  :drool:). I have not been so organised as you, but using the search term "things to check" came across the following threads which might help add to your list:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256425.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256035.0

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/11437-what-check-when-picking.html

And don't forget to take your sunglasses  :cool:

And your reading glasses if you are getting old like me with my once perfect 20:20 vision now fading for reading anything smaller than a Motorway road sign  :sad:
« Last Edit: 01 October 2013, 17:10 by allycat45 »
Arrived: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Carbon Steel Grey, Service Plan, Winter Pack, Side Airbag, DCC (or ACC - the Adaptive Chassis thing, ok?), Park Assist, Rear View Camera

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2013, 17:13 »
That's a great list Redpath. Many thanks.

I have been thinking of trying to make one today as I expect to collect this week (ooohh excited  :drool:). I have not been so organised as you, but using the search term "things to check" came across the following threads which might help add to your list:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256425.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256035.0

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/11437-what-check-when-picking.html

And don't forget to take your sunglasses  :cool:

And your reading glasses if you are getting old like me with my once perfect 20:20 vision now fading for reading anything smaller than a Motorway road sign  :sad:

thanks for that, added a few more :D