Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2823139 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2940 on: 12 September 2015, 22:41 »
You seem to have the extra plastic engine cover which came on the early GTIs....it was that there before?

That's it, added the lower trim cover.

I noticed this penny pinching tactic when I went to take a look at my R when it arrived. Two can play at that game !! I took it off my GTI and fitted it to my R when I got it home  :whistle:
I wish I'd had thought of that when I swapped.

Me and the golf decided to start building a true track car today. Saxo style!! :smiley:

That looks like fun!
I'm guessing it's a VTS not a VTR?
I had the use of a VTS back in about 1998 for a couple months. It felt a bit crap next to my VR6 I had at the time and had no torque at all. Put your foot down in top gear coming out of a 50mph motorway restriction and nothing happened!
Aside from that it was great fun.

When I gave it back I got an early Ibiza TDI and that was a bit crap too.
Quite quick when tuned though.

Anyway, what can you do to tune the Saxo? Or will you just rely on light weight and sharp handling?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2941 on: 12 September 2015, 22:54 »
She's a VTR actually but that block you can see is a VTS from a c2 which is supposed to be more torquey than the Saxo one. And not much really, you can mess around with the cams and the usually naturally aspirated things like exhaust and manifolds and we probably won't see more than 140 out of her but she's going to weigh about 50oz by the time I'm finished :)
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2942 on: 12 September 2015, 23:14 »
Decent Golf, a Saxo track car..... wtf is a pensioners CR-V doing in your drive?  :whistle: :D :P

[I'll deny I ever drove on of them things....]
« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 23:25 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2943 on: 12 September 2015, 23:17 »
I thought that looked a bit top heavy for a VTR engine.  :grin:
What's the biggest PSA engine you can squeeze in one of those?

Even with around 140 it should be great fun. A proper lightweight old skool hot hatch and nice and revvy too so perfect for track days.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2944 on: 13 September 2015, 07:34 »
Decent Golf, a Saxo track car..... wtf is a pensioners CR-V doing in your drive?  :whistle: :D :P

[I'll deny I ever drove on of them things....]

Thankfully it's not mine but we will need something to tow it with so it will come in handy!

Ex, I hear you can "easily" drop a gti6 in it but there are also some other crazy experiments out there like rwd vtec powered ones! Given that it's shell is like tin foil I think I'll be ok for any more power tho lol

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2945 on: 13 September 2015, 11:01 »
Less is more sometimes, could get a bit messy when chassis limits fight a losing battle with power!
Still, a 2.0 in one of those would certainly get the adrenaline going  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2946 on: 13 September 2015, 16:18 »
Took mine to the Metrocentre today - stop-start error message on dash when stopped at a roundabout on the way home.  :undecided:

I'm going to need a list for tomorrow (car back at Pulman).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2947 on: 13 September 2015, 21:42 »
Washed today and used my new clay mitt, very impressed how it took Tarmac spots straight off. Kinda destroyed the film on my headlights but never mind lol I'll get some more from fleabay!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2948 on: 14 September 2015, 21:45 »
Swapped my R for a courtesy Skoda Rapid 77kW 1.2TSI (104/105ps?). It is surprisingly nippy for the size of car that is is (has a boot you could live in, and a full size spare). I'm definitely getting a better car every time im back for warranty work. New ACC sensor and boot/body loom and rubber boot. They'll hopefully check out the EPC fault (turbo actuator failed), the ACC additional fault (system disconnect) and stop-start error.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2949 on: 15 September 2015, 18:21 »
Got a phonecall to say my R was ready, so I go down there to collect after work.

I enquire about work done with the EPC light (turbo actuator failure) in addition to the planned warranty work. Surprise - no mention. After enquiry to the technician that worked on my car and stating I saw the nature of the codes thrown up they claim that VCDS dabbling has cleared the code (seriously doubtful).

Luckily enough I had the readouts emailed to me by Chris (mcmaddy) so I passed them on to the tech. They've agreed to keep my car another day to look at recalling the codes.