Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2810283 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2060 on: 14 April 2015, 09:01 »
There is a dodgy side street place in burton ive noticed that will actually buy your tyres off you. If you pick up your new car and SLOWLY drive to a place like this you could convince them to sell them new and just swap them for something else they have, worth a shot anyway

:grin: :grin:

Yes of course the first thing I'll do is drive my brand new R to a dodgy side street in Burton.  I'll go via Coventry, the R theft capital of the UK  :grin:

I must point out that the majority of side streets in burton look dodgy to me, but they may be perfectly fine  :smiley:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2061 on: 14 April 2015, 09:23 »
There is a dodgy side street place in burton ive noticed that will actually buy your tyres off you. If you pick up your new car and SLOWLY drive to a place like this you could convince them to sell them new and just swap them for something else they have, worth a shot anyway

:grin: :grin:

Yes of course the first thing I'll do is drive my brand new R to a dodgy side street in Burton.  I'll go via Coventry, the R theft capital of the UK  :grin:

I must point out that the majority of side streets in burton look dodgy to me, but they may be perfectly fine  :smiley:

Canterbury has one or two of it's own, though the city likes to think it doesn't   :whistle:

Now Margate, that's a different story.  Last time I was there walking back to a car park, I took a wrong turn and came upon a drugs raid in full swing.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2062 on: 14 April 2015, 10:10 »
Had my windscreen replaced a few weeks ago and lo and behold it seems to have cured the infuriating buzzing noise I've had from the sound aktuator since owing the car. I wish I had known this a year ago as my attitude towards driving the car has improved considerably.

Craig, I had an annoying buzzing noise like that too which only appeared intermittently and only at certain revs. I traced it to the scuttle panel (the plastic panel underneath the wipers). If you lift the bonnet you'll see that panel is held down with a few simple clips. One of them seemed to have worked loose. I pushed it back in and never heard the buzz again. The windscreen fitters would have had that panel off your car and probably solved the noise in the process of re-fitting it.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2063 on: 14 April 2015, 11:36 »
Joe that makes complete sense. That's probably what has happened. The car has been in and out of the dealers a number of times due to the noise and the so called experts couldn't resolve it. You get the Autoglass guy out to fit s new window and hey presto!!  :grin: :grin:

Offline charv94

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2064 on: 14 April 2015, 11:46 »
In relation to the tyres. I've got the s001 things on my gti. They haven't really let me down once. No significant slip or any tramping as of yet. On the loan car with dsg however fitted with the same rubber. They seem to slip a lot more. No tramping but can spin in 3rd.

No idea why, the courtesy car has 5000 miles on so might be that but from reports on this forum they are terrible from the get go.
I can't say I'm that horrified with them. Maybe you guys built up such a bad image in my mind they are performing better than I expected.
Mk7 GTI - CSG - Now Gone

M135i 5dr Auto - Mineral Grey

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2065 on: 14 April 2015, 12:02 »
The s001's are perfectly fine for everyday driving. Unless your flooring it everywhere you go then you are unlikely to have any issues. VW are not going to supply you with tyres that are dangerous to use. A lot of scaremongering going on in this forum about these tyres.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2066 on: 14 April 2015, 12:06 »
In relation to the tyres. I've got the s001 things on my gti. They haven't really let me down once. No significant slip or any tramping as of yet. On the loan car with dsg however fitted with the same rubber. They seem to slip a lot more. No tramping but can spin in 3rd.

No idea why, the courtesy car has 5000 miles on so might be that but from reports on this forum they are terrible from the get go.
I can't say I'm that horrified with them. Maybe you guys built up such a bad image in my mind they are performing better than I expected.

Maybe.  Expect the very worst and anything better will seem ok   :laugh:

I think people should decide for themselves regardless of what others say.  I've always said I'll give the Bridgestones a chance, especially on an R with the 4WD, and I will.  However I had them on a previous DSG GTI and the slippage and tyre spinning was woeful. 

By contrast I've not suffered any such problem with the Conti 5p's which have been excellent, even if they're not the most hard wearing tyre.  I'll take a shorter tyre lifespan with better performance over long wearing poor performance any day of the week.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2067 on: 14 April 2015, 12:45 »
The s001's are perfectly fine for everyday driving. Unless your flooring it everywhere you go then you are unlikely to have any issues. VW are not going to supply you with tyres that are dangerous to use. A lot of scaremongering going on in this forum about these tyres.

On the move you can rein it in a bit knowing these tyres aren't great in the wet (sensible driving), it's the tramping that gets me, trying to get away at a gap on a busy roundabout and sitting there with your nose out, thumping the tarmac, or having to use the extreme caution of a 40ps Fiat Panda to crawl away (and missing out on gaps other cars can take that look less able on paper), all because of VW's tyre choices.

Look on ebay.de and see people selling their Prets/Cadiz/Nogaros/Austins for something aftermarket, they're almost entirely shod with Conti 5 (mostly) or Michelin PS3. To me that implies VW don't put crap tyres on for their domestic market, but they do for us. The Germans (and to a similar extent, the Finns) are the fussiest market in the EU for many consumer items - they won't put up with tyres that compromise the abilities of the car, but we will (generally) sit there and take it.

You can make do with Bridgestones, but you really shouldn't have to on a £26K-32K car.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline charv94

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2068 on: 14 April 2015, 12:55 »
I genuinely haven't reined it in. I've pushed for gaps. I even raced an s3 from the lights, his was full car mine was just me and he did creep away. Not as much as I expected. But more importantly it's not yet tramped.

Scaremongering was very big since I even looked at tyre prices. My advice for be to check them out for yourself before even contemplating anything
Mk7 GTI - CSG - Now Gone

M135i 5dr Auto - Mineral Grey

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2069 on: 14 April 2015, 13:00 »

Agreed. I recently changed the front 2 and put on Continentals this time. Do I notice a massive difference? No, I can't say that I do. I switched to Contintentals based on reviews I read here and elsewhere but in all honesty the difference is fairly marginal - to me at least, and I don't drive like Miss Daisy.

The 2 I replaced were near the end of their life so they were tramping and spinning a bit in the wet towards the end. But they were fine for most of the time I had them.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.