Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2781786 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9260 on: 25 February 2019, 10:53 »
Yes and?? Just because it apparently doesn't say in a generic manual then that's the law! You've just stated you wouldn't put a repaired tyre on the front yet you think it's acceptable to put a spacesaver on the front. I know which I'd rather do but everyone's different.
I'm not going to get into a debate with you, you said I was supposed to put the space saver on the rear not the front, but that's simply not true.

A space saver is a short distance journey remedy to get you home and/or to a garage, which is what I did. As per the advice (and being sensible!), I did not drive the car hard or with any vigour when on the space saver, I coasted and drove conservativly 5-10 miles to get home and then to the garage this morning which is a mile away.

I mentioned what you said to the tyre garage and they said it's absolutely fine, no need to have it on the rear. The space saver in the Golf is an 18" wheel with appropriate profile to match my 19", so there's no imbalance.

Anyway, I now have a new tyre fitted and all's well with the world.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2019, 10:56 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9261 on: 25 February 2019, 12:08 »
Fitted R rear lights, would've preferred to wash my car first but not enough time to do both so please excuse the muck...

Standard:

Comparison:

Finished:

I'm very pleased with the end result, I think the original lights looked a bit fussy. Will keep the old ones though for possible refitting when I sell my car.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9262 on: 25 February 2019, 12:13 »
Agreed, they do look good - never realised there was 2 different versions to be honest!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #9263 on: 25 February 2019, 12:20 »
A nice subtle change Watts
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9264 on: 25 February 2019, 13:14 »
That looks very good Watts, much better. The original cherry red gets lost on a red car, nice definition with the darker rears.

Now wash it.  :tongue:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9265 on: 25 February 2019, 13:34 »
Yes and?? Just because it apparently doesn't say in a generic manual then that's the law! You've just stated you wouldn't put a repaired tyre on the front yet you think it's acceptable to put a spacesaver on the front. I know which I'd rather do but everyone's different.
I'm not going to get into a debate with you, you said I was supposed to put the space saver on the rear not the front, but that's simply not true.

A space saver is a short distance journey remedy to get you home and/or to a garage, which is what I did. As per the advice (and being sensible!), I did not drive the car hard or with any vigour when on the space saver, I coasted and drove conservativly 5-10 miles to get home and then to the garage this morning which is a mile away.

I mentioned what you said to the tyre garage and they said it's absolutely fine, no need to have it on the rear. The space saver in the Golf is an 18" wheel with appropriate profile to match my 19", so there's no imbalance.

Would they not repair it? Seems a waste to bin it for just a puncture?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9266 on: 25 February 2019, 13:53 »

Would they not repair it? Seems a waste to bin it for just a puncture?

Some people are funny. A good repair will have no issues, especially not on a car like the Golf. Probably wouldn't get a tyre on my Ducati repaired though...  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9267 on: 25 February 2019, 14:22 »
Agreed, they do look good - never realised there was 2 different versions to be honest!  :smiley:

A nice subtle change Watts

Thanks chaps :smiley:

That looks very good Watts, much better. The original cherry red gets lost on a red car, nice definition with the darker rears.

Now wash it.  :tongue:

Thanks :smiley: Work has been in the way of washing, honest, possibly on Saturday, although I do have an event to go to so possibly not :whistle: :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9268 on: 25 February 2019, 15:18 »
Looking good there Watts, a much better contrast.
I’ve just been sat behind a red FL GTD for half an hour or more in traffic and the new tails don’t look as good as the pre-FL darkened ones.
The car colour makes a difference as to whether the dark tails make much of an improvement or not. On the red it definitely does.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #9269 on: 25 February 2019, 17:38 »
R had it's first service at Bath VW. Seem like a good outfit, asked that they didn't wash it... and they didn't  :grin:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints