Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2783137 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9250 on: 24 February 2019, 22:11 »
Not wanting to be a killjoy but you do realise your supposed to put the spacesaver on the rear and not the front?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9251 on: 24 February 2019, 23:03 »
Not wanting to be a killjoy but you do realise your supposed to put the spacesaver on the rear and not the front?
Agreed it’s not going to be great for the LSD on the front axle as it will induce wheelspin so I would be putting it on the front axle too if that’s where the puncture was. Sod taking 2 wheels off on the side of the road !
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9252 on: 25 February 2019, 08:18 »
The manual says nothing about having to put it on the rear, nor does the VW website.

It’s just a temporary wheel to get you home at a limited speed, not to drive around on normally.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9253 on: 25 February 2019, 08:36 »
The driver of the Focus wants kicking in the nuts for that number plate.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9254 on: 25 February 2019, 08:51 »
Can’t it be repaired? The screw is well within the area of the tread where repairs are permitted. Some years ago, I picked up a screw in a similar part of the tread and the tyre place I took it to was able to to plug it from the inside.
It might be, but I'm not a massive fan of repairing due to the types of journey I do where I am at high speed and/or loaded up. If it can be done safely then I'll ask to swap the wheel with a rear so the repaired tyre is on the back.

:smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9255 on: 25 February 2019, 08:55 »
If it's repaired properly it shouldn't make any difference where it goes on the car but it will have less force and pressure applied to it just rotating on the rear (same reason a spacesaver goes on the rear :whistle:)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9256 on: 25 February 2019, 09:06 »
a spacesaver goes on the rear :whistle:)
From the manual:
SOLD March 2021

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9257 on: 25 February 2019, 10:00 »
Yes and?? Just because it apparently doesn't say in a generic manual then that's the law! You've just stated you wouldn't put a repaired tyre on the front yet you think it's acceptable to put a spacesaver on the front. I know which I'd rather do but everyone's different.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9258 on: 25 February 2019, 10:11 »
Guess it depends how far you've got to go. Round the corner would be ok, but any further and you'd change it round and have it on the rear for sure. Steering and traction on a spaceaver can't be too good. 
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9259 on: 25 February 2019, 10:39 »
Definitely agree with that Jim.