Author Topic: Funny engine noise?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Funny engine noise?
« on: 16 June 2004, 21:31 »
Does anyone remember the problem I had with my engine noise? It was that metallic noise and a few people suggested it may be the cam chain amonst other suggestions.

Anyway, I am the first to slag off supermarket fuel. But, after today Safeway fuel has seemed to have sorted the problem out in my engine. I have always put in Optimax before, as soon as I change the noise goes??????

Just thought I'd share that, maybe value fuel is not as bad as we think???????????

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re:Funny engine noise?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2004, 21:39 »
Dont be telling me that martz, I've just started using optimax  :(
......now officially dubless.

vwsystems

« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2004, 01:07 »
metalic noise could be pinking!

if it comes and goes its more likely to be that........

if it were mechanical fault it would always be there!
but as your saying when you fill with different petrol the problem goes...... that must be the answer....

it may be because not many people buy optimax due to high petrol prices and so my bro has read that the octane in petrol drops if it isnt used..... ie stored!

so to make a vw pink it must be below the 95 octane as that of supermarket petrol.........

the gti has on later 87 digifant onwards a knock sensor which allows lower octane fuel to used without any damage as the ecu and knock sensor listens for pinking and if its detected to advances or retard ignition timming acordingly!

this is also why when setting the timming it doesnt have to be BANG ON as long as its close it retards and advances it automaticly...........

on S2 rs turbos ford used the knock sensor thing because of the turbos boost! and pinking!

vwsystems

« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2004, 01:12 »
i always use supermarket fuel......and to yet i have found no difference.........

although i do some times get better mpg out of some garages........ ie tesco , esso , safeway, morrisons....... i aint been there for a while........ damn speed ramps.....

Offline H114yrh

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2004, 20:35 »
maybee you tappits are worn??