Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791724 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13220 on: 23 November 2023, 16:20 »
Looks interesting Will. Not got any chips etc on my wheels so might look further and at£20 reasonable if it works.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2023, 16:26 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline jharar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13221 on: 24 November 2023, 22:10 »
Not done today but a few weeks ago as I mentioned earlier - a set of 18" Pretoria wheels on my GTI. I'm very pleased with them and they're a great improvement over the stock 18" wheels.

I also have an Oettinger spoiler and TCR rear silencer awaiting fitment. I'll update when those are done  :smiley:

I thought Original Pretoria wheels only came in 19's.
Never knew VW did 18's as well.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13222 on: 24 November 2023, 23:34 »
Flat battery when I tried to start the car after sorting those stupid vents. The battery has been slowly going down for some time so a replacement was on the cards.
Mine is a stop start so the battery works out and nearly double than the basic model, a cool £174 Varta 70aph followed by 1/2 hr to fit it myself and it was off the have the codes reset. But not the £89 and 1/2hr quoted by VW dealers but 10mins and a 20 note to a friend in the trade followed by a 120mile test run.

Re the vents, if you have a Golf or any of its derivatives you have a problem waiting to be sorted, don't think you will escape it because you wont, none of you will. As for the rust caused by the inescapable ingress of water into the seams,  checkout the video online of a Mk7 stripped down to its bare shell, the rot is clear and obvious.
I suppose its what we should expect for a car made in latin America.

Another problem noted during the strip down of the rear bumper, the offside corner was 3/4" lower than the other. Quick check revealed the shocker had a small leak. So a pair of Bilstein B4s and springs on order.

Mine from new in Oct 2016 37k miles.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13223 on: 25 November 2023, 06:13 »
Flat battery when I tried to start the car after sorting those stupid vents. The battery has been slowly going down for some time so a replacement was on the cards.
Mine is a stop start so the battery works out and nearly double than the basic model, a cool £174 Varta 70aph followed by 1/2 hr to fit it myself and it was off the have the codes reset. But not the £89 and 1/2hr quoted by VW dealers but 10mins and a 20 note to a friend in the trade followed by a 120mile test run.

Re the vents, if you have a Golf or any of its derivatives you have a problem waiting to be sorted, don't think you will escape it because you wont, none of you will. As for the rust caused by the inescapable ingress of water into the seams,  checkout the video online of a Mk7 stripped down to its bare shell, the rot is clear and obvious.

Another problem noted during the strip down of the rear bumper, the offside corner was 3/4" lower than the other. Quick check revealed the shocker had a small leak. So a pair of Bilstein B4s and springs on order.

Mine was manufactured in Wolfsburg, along with virtually all of the UK GTI’s.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13224 on: 25 November 2023, 09:06 »

Mine was manufactured in Wolfsburg, along with virtually all of the UK GTI’s.

Yes, both performance and non-performance versions of the Golf for the UK market are built VW’s Wolfsburg plant in Germany and have been for many years.

@Mike J; From what I’ve read on the Golfmk7.com forum over the years (predominantly North American members on that forum), the ownership experience in terms of build quality and reliability of mk7 / mk7.5 Golfs built at VW’s Latin America plant in Pueblo, Mexico is pretty much the same as that of owners of German built mk7 / mk7.5 Golfs.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #13225 on: 25 November 2023, 11:45 »
Winter wheels and winter mats installed this morning as the temps are plummeting

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #13226 on: 25 November 2023, 12:33 »

A leaking damper will not affect ride height, that is determined by the spring.

Did you code the new battery in??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13227 on: 12 December 2023, 18:58 »
Rear pads done today at a reputable local independent.

Should be good for another 30k miles
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline ProtoCulture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13228 on: 14 December 2023, 20:19 »
Did a few things recently...

Revo ECU ad TCU Tune, Eibach springs, VBT discs and Racingline pads. Spacers are coming too.

The tune is great, really brings the car alive.

It was badly in need of new discs all round and the front pads were nearly done, so went with a VBT hooked discs and Racingline pads combo from Awesome GTI that I had my eye on and was reduced by £110 in the Black Friday sales, and figured I might as well get it lowered at the same time so also picked up an Eibach Pro spring kit. :D

In the new year it'll have an oil change along with diff and gearbox fluid changes and braided lines and new brake fluid. Then I'll be done for a while. Depending on how it handles I might do the anti roll bars in the summer.

Pictures:

2016 Tornado Red GTI PP, DSG, 19" Santiago's, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist & Camera.
Mods: Revo Stage 1 ECU & TCU remap. Racingline R600 with Inlet pipe, turbo elbow and muffler delete. Clubsport S backbox. Eibach lowering springs. VBT Hooked discs and Racingline RP700 pads.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13229 on: 15 December 2023, 19:47 »
Great upgrades PC.

Always like a bit of J hook on discs, And although I don't have red its the best colour imo.  :wink: