Author Topic: The dreaded diamond cut alloy scuff marks  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: The dreaded diamond cut alloy scuff marks
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2015, 14:20 »
As suggested, I'd try polishing them first.  Hard to tell but if they are smooth when you run your fingernail across them, then it suggests that it may just be the laquer coat that's damaged.  Have you got a DA and small polishing pads?  If so make sure you masking tape up any vulnerable edges.  Failing that polish by hand.  Worth a try  :smiley:   

Unfortunately it's a commom complaint. I've given up with mine and just suffer the scratches, kerb marks which require a full refurb  :sad:

Ha, there would be nothing but bare metal left if i had a DA! Ill try some good old hand polishing, maybe invest in a DA in the future, can I use the DA on my windscreen too? Its something ive been thinking about tbh

Haha yeah you'd have to go gently, othrewise they will need a refurb  :wink:

Polishing windscreens - I've never done it for fear of messing up but you can use a polisher on a windscreen.  You have to be VERY careful though as if you are too aggressive you can create a hollow in the glass which is known as the fish eye effect.  You can only imagine if that was in your line of vision!!  Machine polishing can also create unwanted micro marring known as hologramming (or buffer trails) but this is more prevalent on paintwork, but again any defect introduced onto the glass could have a very adverse effect.  I wouldn't risk it myself.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2015, 14:24 »
right, message received and understood, leave it to the experts you pig-handed fool :grin:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2015, 14:32 »
right, message received and understood, leave it to the experts you pig-handed fool :grin:

:grin:  :grin:

If it's any consolation, where windscreens are concerned, I consider myself to be a pig-handed fool too, so you're not alone  :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2015, 14:35 »

:grin:  :grin:

If it's any consolation, where windscreens are concerned, I consider myself to be a pig-handed fool too, so you're not alone  :wink:

Well i was driving down the m1 today and you know when the suns at that right height so you can see every mark in the windscreen possible, its pitted to feck, like really bad. I did 100k in the leon and it wasnt as bad, and that was a lot of motorway driving so potential chips galore imo, ive done 17k in the golf, mostly on A roads at the max but a lot of B roads. Im hoping it just needs a good clean but I have my doubts.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2015, 15:07 »
The faces aren't diamond cut its just round the outside edge of the rim.

:huh: 

I would say the face is diamond cut.

http://www.lepsons.com/diamond-cutting/
I'm sure it's only the outer edge on VW's but the link to lepsons for the BMW ones are. Could be wrong though
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2015, 15:20 »
The faces aren't diamond cut its just round the outside edge of the rim.

:huh: 

I would say the face is diamond cut.

http://www.lepsons.com/diamond-cutting/
I'm sure it's only the outer edge on VW's but the link to lepsons for the BMW ones are. Could be wrong though

I'm pretty sure it's the whole (silver) face that they run the diamond cutting tip over.  Different alloys of course, but I had my Glendales assessed for refub some time ago (would have been Lepsons doing the work - still to be done!).  They way it was explained it was the entire silver area (very shiny with fine lines from the machining) that was the diamond cut part.  I don't think all diamond cut wheels can be refurbed, it depends on the profile of the face of the wheel.   
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2015, 16:53 »
Graham

Bring your car to mine and we'll have a go with the DA, my bros did this on his gti and they cam up a treat. I'd run some 205 & 105 Meguairs over them, and then seal them.

Cheers

Neil

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2015, 17:01 »
Graham

Bring your car to mine and we'll have a go with the DA, my bros did this on his gti and they cam up a treat. I'd run some 205 & 105 Meguairs over them, and then seal them.

Cheers

Neil

Epic suggestion! Did you have a date in mind? I am in that there london all week unfortunately but I am free all weekend.

How many beers is this going to cost me? :smiley: I have some supagard alloy wheel protector knocking around in the garage, will this suffice?

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2015, 17:12 »
Weekend suits me mate, no beers needed but thanks for the offer. I'll pm you my number.

I have everything here mate, so just turn up.

Neil

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2015, 17:21 »
Weekend suits me mate, no beers needed but thanks for the offer. I'll pm you my number.

I have everything here mate, so just turn up.

Neil

True legend Neil, I shall text you Thur/Fri to confirm a date. Also, you guys sell wash mitts as my meguire ones are well past their best and I am in the market for a couple?