Author Topic: Newbie needs help  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Misterp

• I live here
Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2014, 16:57 »
Now finished. But took forever. When I clayed it there wasn't much contamination surprisingly. Bloody english weather meant I had to rush. Hopefully i did ok. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks :wink: for the help guys. Is it wise to get rid of the dual foam applicator after use.

Depends what you used it to apply?  If it was any decon stuff then, yes.  If used to apply sealant then just wash it.

Used it to apply all in one polish.

It should be fine in washing machine (not with clothes obviously).  Or hand wash and rinse.

Thought as much. Thanks for all the help.

So this is what I started with

admittedly, I have been too busy on weekends to even try and the days when I have been free it's been raining.

And after the hours of slaving away in the cold this is they end product.

Looking at it it can do with a machine polish but that is not summat I will do as I don't have the tools so I will have to pay someone to do that.  :wink:

Just finished the inside. I must say the autofinesse products are good  but not too happy with the Gtechniq shampoo But that is nearly finished so I will replace it with something else.

I also need some good glass cleaner and trim restorer.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2014, 17:01 by Misterp »
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2014, 18:56 »

Looking at it it can do with a machine polish but that is not summat I will do as I don't have the tools so I will have to pay someone to do that.  :wink:

Just finished the inside. I must say the autofinesse products are good  but not too happy with the Gtechniq shampoo But that is nearly finished so I will replace it with something else.

I also need some good glass cleaner and trim restorer.

What a transformation!  Looks stunning, great job  :cool: 

A really good reliable shampoo is Dodo Juice Born to be Mild, PH neutral.  Autoglym Fast Glass is great, Auto Finesse Crystal glass does a reasonable job.  Trim restorer, for exterior - Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel is quite good and doubles up as a decent tyre dressing too. 

Machine polishing is a little daunting at first and requires an initial capital outlay, but with a DA, once you get the hang of it (plenty of youtube vids to help) it's pretty easy and very satisfying, if a bit time consuming.  Or you can just pay a professional  :wink:
« Last Edit: 07 December 2014, 18:58 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2014, 19:27 »
Looking really good :)

Another vote for Born To Be Mild from me, it's a really great shampoo!!!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2014, 19:50 »
Thanks guys. The Mrs was a bit miffed that I spent my first free Saturday in ages with the car. She came out this morning and said wow. So that shut her up.  :laugh:

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2014, 11:05 »
Fantastic results Misterp, and the sealant should make future washes a touch easier!

What did you do on the inside? I've been meaning to get some Gtechniq smart fabric but haven't got round to it yet.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2014, 12:18 »
Also nice to get that sort of reaction from the other half  :tongue:

Did you put any sealant/wax on the wheels? Pays to take care of that diamond cut finish in particular  :smiley:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2014, 15:06 »
I used Gtechniq on the rims and the body as I have some to get through before I use the free auto finesse tough coat. I sealed all the rims bar one as it is due in for a refurb next week and the guys at detail my ride will be sorting it for me.

More annoying, car was in at Vw today for a light issue and they have washed it. Wtf not to happy hope they haven'tessedy efforts up.

I used the Dr leather wipes ony seats. I wasn't best impressed with the gtechniq leather cleaner.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 15:07 by Misterp »

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2014, 15:31 »
The C2v3? Good stuff, I use C5 on mine and it's excellent.

Would hate to think of the dealer washing my car, did you tell them not to wash it?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2014, 18:26 »
The dealer washed your car  :sick:  You have to spell it out to them, big sign in prominent position gets the message across as well as verbal instruction.

Gtechniq L1 is good for protecting leather, but is a leather guard as opposed to a cleaner so a once/twice a year application only.  For weekly cleaning I like Dodo Juice supernatural leather cleaner.  Don't rate the Auto Finesse leather cleaner at all, leave a sticky residue even after buffing off.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2014, 18:30 »
The dealer washed your car  :sick:  You have to spell it out to them, big sign in prominent position gets the message across as well as verbal instruction.

Gtechniq L1 is good for protecting leather, but is a leather guard as opposed to a cleaner so a once/twice a year application only.  For weekly cleaning I like Dodo Juice supernatural leather cleaner.  Don't rate the Auto Finesse leather cleaner at all, leave a sticky residue even after buffing off.

It's my naievety really. I wasn't expecting them to do it considering the fault for which it went into the dealership (bend lighting fault)

You live and learn. I will be spelling it out in the future. I used the Dr learher wipes. I was very impressed. I will probably seal the leather seats with the g techniq.