Author Topic: Wax, is it dead?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline SI74

• I live here
Wax, is it dead?
« on: 27 October 2014, 21:49 »
This is going to be a bit deep but been thinking about this a lot over the last lot of weeks,  to me there's far more sealants coming onto the market the last lot of months than waxes almost as if company's are focused in on this, so is wax as we know it dead and soon to be a thing of the past or is it the fact you can buy in sealants and bottle them as your own meaning it's financially better to sell them.

I love a wax but with all the sealants round now is the market big enough for both?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wax, is it dead?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2014, 22:17 »
This is going to be a bit deep but been thinking about this a lot over the last lot of weeks,  to me there's far more sealants coming onto the market the last lot of months than waxes almost as if company's are focused in on this, so is wax as we know it dead and soon to be a thing of the past or is it the fact you can buy in sealants and bottle them as your own meaning it's financially better to sell them.

I love a wax but with all the sealants round now is the market big enough for both?

Continuing advances in coating technology means there will always be new stuff coming onto the market, products offering increased durability, longevity and improved hydrophobic qualities.. and so on.  These are a very attractive proposition to those who are time limited looking for easy to use, once/twice a year applications.  Maximum impact for minimal effort.

In terms of wax, I think there will be continued focus on further developing hybrid waxes, but imo, there will always be a market for traditional wax, especially 'bespoke' premium waxes.  It may be the mid range waxes that take the hit.

Ultimately, more consumer choice. 

I don't think wax is dead at all. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2014, 22:39 »
Keep in mind that as far as I am aware, no polishes, waxes, sealants etc have been independently scientifically tested, so any manufacturers claims have to be treated with caution.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2014, 22:42 »
Keep in mind that as far as I am aware, no polishes, waxes, sealants etc have been independently scientifically tested, so any manufacturers claims have to be treated with caution.

Agreed.  Manufacturers almost always overstate the capabilities of their products.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2014, 22:49 »
Or say there the manufacturer when it's bought in.

Nice reply there Booth11 some good points.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2014, 11:43 »
I agree with Booth. More and more people are looking for short lived, rapid results and perhaps are happier to apply little and often. Personally I like going through the whole traditional detail 2-3 times per year. I also like looking at the longevity. The Beetle got treated when we first got it and its still going strong.

Glad to see other people are looking at detailing even in the sh!te weather.

Long live Wax!!! :grin:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2014, 12:18 »
Both have their place, but you didn't mention coatings !
 :wink:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2014, 12:38 »
Long live Wax!!! :grin:

Amen to that Neil  :cool:

Imo sealants are always better with the addition of wax as the LSP.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2014, 12:40 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual