Author Topic: Today my detailing spirit died.  (Read 3290 times)

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
Re: Today my detailing spirit died.
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2011, 23:05 »
I used a dodo juice waffle polishing pad and then a dodo juice waffle finishing pad with dodo juice lime prime.

I clayed the car first with dodo juice clay and born slippery.

Its a black car so I didnt expect amazing results first time but I got basically zero results.

I got the same as I do doing it by hand.

I have meguiars ultimate compound there, I was thinking of giving that a try?

I also have a meguiars cutting pad.

Any suggestions?
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2011, 23:15 »
you loser whats up ?

Loser? A bit harsh!

I had a nitemare detailing my car thats all. I expected better results from the DA polisher and I was quite pissed off after spending a full day doing all thats involved and no light scratches or swirls had been removed.

But ill go back to the drawing board and have another go after Ive learn't abit more about how to get the best results.

were you working in sets? how much polish were you using? rushing the job?

it is possible with a DA but you need goot technique and patience... if you are only doing your car then I would suggest learning good technique instead of rushing out and getting a rotary

suggest you aim to complete the job panel by panel... don't try and do the whole car in one go.. do your wash clay etc on the whole car... then polish just the bonnet for example... apply your glaze, sealant and/or wax and then you can come back to another panel when you're ready

manage your expectations... turning a sows ear into a silk purse takes time and dedication  :wink:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2011, 23:24 »
I used a dodo juice waffle polishing pad and then a dodo juice waffle finishing pad with dodo juice lime prime.

Its a black car so I didnt expect amazing results first time but I got basically zero results.

Any suggestions?

from the sounds of things you have been polishing and not cutting... you need to step up to something with a bit more bite. VW/German paint is very hard so it'll take some abuse  :laugh:

try something like this...

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/3m-perfect-it-iii-250ml-polish-sample-kit.php?cPath=27

using 3M pads and polishes I have achieved some stunning results

start with a medium compound and light cutting pad, then if that isn't working step up to the same on a cutting pad... then if that isn't working step up to a heavier cutting polish on a cutting pad

remember a heavier cutting polish will still leave light swirls/holograms which you need to work out with finishing polishes/pads

you will then end up with something like this...

Volvo C70 by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2011, 23:45 »
Guy.. not all VW paint is hard  :shocked:

try the ones with no top coat :wink: like mine.. marks by just looking at it. i have to be very carefull by the ways in which i clean it, y'know like pat dry bla bla bla

iv done my full car, removed every single swirl and mark, with ZERO hologramming (im sure you know this is a big issue on black cars), i managed to remove all marks with a orange polishing pad and megs 83

tried the same on bens flash red mk3 and the same sort of marks would not shift, rock hard paint as you say. I jumped to a Yellow Hex pad and megs speed cut 95 which did the trick in no time. i couldnt be arsed to do all that with a DA.

but i always work panel at a time as you mention above, this is sound advice

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2011, 23:45 »
also consider menzerna which are very effective on german paints
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2011, 09:06 »

Any suggestions?

from the sounds of things you have been polishing and not cutting... you need to step up to something with a bit more bite. VW/German paint is very hard so it'll take some abuse  :laugh:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/3m-perfect-it-iii-250ml-polish-sample-kit.php?cPath=27

start with a medium compound and light cutting pad, then if that isn't working step up to the same on a cutting pad... then if that isn't working step up to a heavier cutting polish on a cutting pad

remember a heavier cutting polish will still leave light swirls/holograms which you need to work out with finishing polishes/pads

Ok so ill order some of this but what 3M pads do I need?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2011, 10:05 »

Any suggestions?

Ok so ill order some of this but what 3M pads do I need?

green, yellow and blue

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2011, 10:57 »
Right thats them ordered. I HOPE they work cause this is getting bloody expensive!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice guys. Im very grateful  :smiley:

Just so that this doesn't turn out yet another waste of money could you run through what I should be doing, the procedure I should follow with the products and pads Ive just ordered.

I have the 3M perfect iii and the 3M yellow blue and green pads.

Do I use the 3 in different stages or just as I need them depending on the scratches/swirls?
« Last Edit: 02 April 2011, 19:24 by JDM82 »