Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16834 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #160 on: 13 April 2022, 21:00 »
18 months ago I’d have called anyone speccing a heated ‘wheel rude names.
If my mk8 spontaneously combusted tomorrow due to engine sponge issues the heated ‘wheel would be the thing I’d miss most.
On any morning that’s less than 10°C you’d bless every penny of that £150, once experienced you’d not want to be without it (Ed40 excepted as the fluffy ‘wheel never felt chilly to hold)
« Last Edit: 13 April 2022, 23:35 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #161 on: 14 April 2022, 08:55 »
18 months ago I’d have called anyone speccing a heated ‘wheel rude names.
If my mk8 spontaneously combusted tomorrow due to engine sponge issues the heated ‘wheel would be the thing I’d miss most.
On any morning that’s less than 10°C you’d bless every penny of that £150, once experienced you’d not want to be without it (Ed40 excepted as the fluffy ‘wheel never felt chilly to hold)

Go to the gym most days, and just through a winter and its never something even thought to, and tested out the theory at 6.45 this morning at 7 degree and a little cold but hands soon warm up, and when come out of gym actually quite thankful for the coolness of the wheel so in the camp of not convinced aside from obviously the coldest of mornings.

Its only a £150 option however so will still mull it today to see if curiosity gets better of me  :smiley:

EDIT: Curiosity got better of me, order updated! (It goes to BMW today) at £150 it makes no real dent in anything and so will tell you next winter how blessed I feel on one of those cold starts :smiley: Might be a car keep in 3 years also, as this my last company car and will need a car, so if do and one day resale its desirable option for any prospective purchaser over a car without (amazing how we justify spending money on cars so easily  :laugh:)

Best option selected was the heated windscreen for the TCR, even on a 7 degree morning, there is some sticky cold dew on the screen that within a minute the heated screen has dispersed to give a clear screen.

Those early morning starts where head to gym, in winter, 10 mins was usually spent clearing screen before could even head off, but its now a press of button, wait a minute or so, and you are off, now thats the best £350 spent on an option list.

Always been spot on with options, and looking back at all of them, the only option think that regretted was the upgrade of the stereo system on an Audi, it was nice, but when changed like for like the next time around, the standard system was pretty good, so it felt like a lot of money was spent on some fancy speaker plates.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2022, 09:41 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #162 on: 14 April 2022, 13:57 »
Hope you've test driven the 128ti.... I was less than impressed with the bits that count.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #163 on: 14 April 2022, 16:13 »
Hope you've test driven the 128ti.... I was less than impressed with the bits that count.

Yes, managed to get an hour in a grey one a few months back and a black one, this last weekend, again for an hour, and so obviously could not soak test it and really open it up, but personally really liked it, the cabin felt like a step up from my TCR and really liked the media and driver display and how navigate.

It was genuinely lively in sport, makes some nice noises (though did not hear any pops or overrun that get on TCR) but softened steering and throttle nicely when took it down to comfort, though obviously not with the suspension which is firm but would say not as much as the current A S Line we have on S Line suspension, and did not feel onerous at all, which have decent comparison as tend to drive around the TCR in Sport Suspension most of the time, moving between D and S when in town.

Not sure what tyres your test drive was trod with, but apparently the Bridgestone do not give the best ride, but the £0 option P Zero greatly improve, and this weekend car did have them on (as checked) though not sure if the grey 128 Ti test drove previously did?

Other considerations are that GTI and R were not available to me this time around, even without options, and keeping the TCR, so at £3000 lease cost less than TCR 3 years ago with all options would want, the 128 Ti was ticking all the boxes.

So, i really liked it, even the subjective marmite bits in style, I like also, so quite excited to get it and have a change of experience after being in MK 7 cars for last 9 years (GTD/R/TCR) 

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #164 on: 22 April 2022, 10:35 »
Exonian, just want your first thoughts, thinking on this, given you have owned a CS 40

Have received quote from lease company and we about £2-3000 what budgeted to pay, with caveat that quote is 6 months early and with less miles than a re-quote in 6 months, so hoping that gap closes when car hits 3 years and with more mileage. (quote is better than VW forecourts)

If the gap does close as hope then my plan to keep the TCR is still the main option, but feel need a plan B and been looking at Club Sport 40, which know means a drop from some of the MK 7.5 features, but having lived with R for 3 Years, its still the drive and looks (the feeling of driving something a slither different from rest) that is most important, so that aspect does not deter.

Have always like the CS 40, notice immediately that front end when see one, and really like the rear spoiler and overall, it just works for me with the 265 BHP giving it that little bit of extra edge enjoy now in the TCR.

Have seen a few in and around the price prepared to pay and at mileage limit set, with of course a FSH a prerequisite, and as need would not be urgent, would be patient on getting the right one.

Based on all that, do you think the CS 40 would be a good plan B, and have its own merits, or would you think that I should get the best price can for the TCR and just stretch to that best price, given long term merits? Just want to understand how the CS 40 is truly felt about.

My real outsider if get disillusioned is a clean ED35 but its Plan Z at the mo, 

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #165 on: 24 April 2022, 14:27 »
Excuse the late reply Hertsman, I’ve been away visiting the folks.

I was having a good ol’ think about this today whilst removing from my bonnet dozens of gnats who obviously didn’t have the benefit we did at larval stage of watching Darth Vader’s Bristolian alter ego explaining the perils of crossing busy roads.

Personally I’d try and persevere with the TCR purchase. You know every detail of your car’s history, every mark on it and every mile it’s been driven. Plus it’s a pretty special car with a great spec.

Having had the misfortune to happen upon a large group of very excited railway enthusiasts yesterday who were waiting a double engined train (standing right in the way of where I wanted to eat my chips in peace and quiet) it reminded me of how geeky car enthusiasts get too, so I’ll skip all the anoraky details here as it’s not my scene. Suffice to say both Ed40 and TCR have a significant amount of unique parts which have quite a bearing on the ownership experience to give the cars a slightly different feel as well as look.

An immaculate Ed40 would be a great plan B if you were going to keep it a low mileage semi-occasional use car. They’re a few years old now so personally I’d want one as cosseted and low mileage as possible to ensure things like the original dampers, springs and brakes still feel fairly fresh and tight for the authentic Clubsport feel. From new they feel pretty light on their feet (wheels?) and any sag or wear will detract from this.
There will be some concours condition examples around which will unfortunately attract very high asking prices, but to my eyes originality is everything with cars like these. Others will disagree and will have enjoyed and modified theirs which is fine but… well, I know what I’d prefer as a buyer!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #166 on: 27 April 2022, 16:16 »
Excuse the late reply Hertsman, I’ve been away visiting the folks.

I was having a good ol’ think about this today whilst removing from my bonnet dozens of gnats who obviously didn’t have the benefit we did at larval stage of watching Darth Vader’s Bristolian alter ego explaining the perils of crossing busy roads.

Personally I’d try and persevere with the TCR purchase. You know every detail of your car’s history, every mark on it and every mile it’s been driven. Plus it’s a pretty special car with a great spec.

Having had the misfortune to happen upon a large group of very excited railway enthusiasts yesterday who were waiting a double engined train (standing right in the way of where I wanted to eat my chips in peace and quiet) it reminded me of how geeky car enthusiasts get too, so I’ll skip all the anoraky details here as it’s not my scene. Suffice to say both Ed40 and TCR have a significant amount of unique parts which have quite a bearing on the ownership experience to give the cars a slightly different feel as well as look.

An immaculate Ed40 would be a great plan B if you were going to keep it a low mileage semi-occasional use car. They’re a few years old now so personally I’d want one as cosseted and low mileage as possible to ensure things like the original dampers, springs and brakes still feel fairly fresh and tight for the authentic Clubsport feel. From new they feel pretty light on their feet (wheels?) and any sag or wear will detract from this.
There will be some concours condition examples around which will unfortunately attract very high asking prices, but to my eyes originality is everything with cars like these. Others will disagree and will have enjoyed and modified theirs which is fine but… well, I know what I’d prefer as a buyer!

Haha, love that, the legend that was David Prowse, great memories :smiley:

The response provided is why sought your opinion as knew it would be informed and candid and so thought provoking to aspects not really considered, like the elements of uniqueness of the TCT, not just in aesthetics but in parts also (IE: brakes)

The element that have considered is being the only driver of the car, so every second of its ownership is accounted for and factors such as always using premium fuel (even if there is debate to actual benefit) even though a lease, shows to myself that cared for it even when know there is possibility it goes back in 3 years. However, maybe had not given linear ownership enough weight of consideration until read your insight into the Plan B option of maybe going for a ClubSport, as all seem very viable considerations and purchasing a ClubSport would have to be a forensic task to find the right one.

Between this post, even toyed with looking at a really clean R 65/66 plate, or a Mini John Cooper Works, 17/18 plate, just to trim the ££ down a little, but as the 128Ti will definitely be my last company car, think come to firm conclusion that by going little cheaper now, all be doing is pushing the problem 3 years down the line, when would just have to pay more for the company car replacement and would i be able to get something like as much? 

So, think wife and I have finally agreed, that we pay whatever have to eventually pay to keep the TCR, it likely has a bit of a nurtured and gentler life than normal for next 3 years as the 128Ti does the main work, and the TCR picks up the mantel 3 years from now, with the company car being replaced with something more fitting of a second car then (maybe then, the aforementioned R or JCW MY16-18) or even keeping the 128Ti if car prices have truly come back to some normality. (Have no real idea how will feel about that car long term, my first BMW, and with optioned heated steering wheel, thats entirely your fault  :grin:)

But that decision is a long way ahead, so we can park that completely,

You cannot say keeping the TCR is an investment as prices are inflated and so there will be a natural drop at some point, but with a good story of one driver, low mileage, FSH (as will keep to its full service regime) and the car being what it is, you hope if there was any real need to sale, the price would hold reasonably well above anything else could secure and that offsets the feeling of stretching beyond the normal have now. 

Its been a really difficult decision, options have usually been clear, change company car every 3 years and run a second car thats ours of lower value to fill the gap when we go separate ways, but as this last company car and when looking at where cars are going as well as prices, letting go the TCR always seemed not best thing to do.

Only time will tell if the eye on future planning has worked out, and will let you know in 3 years how feel about it? Hopefully feel very good that still have a then 6 year old TCR to enjoy :)

Thanks again Exonian, valuable comments to assist me closing out the decision.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #167 on: 27 April 2022, 19:31 »
It’s a good process to go through, weighing up all options and looking at it from different angles.
For car people it’s often not a straightforward thing to decide on a next purchase as there are so many options that appeal at least in part which can cloud what might otherwise be a nailed on choice.

With everything having the same level of inflated price right now any savings on a cheaper option might not actually be savings.

“We are living in strange times” was always an overused term but right now it’s rarely been more true!
From a zombie apocalypse virus straight to the potential of WW III within a few years slotted in amongst a worldwide drive to reduce emissions and general pollution resulting in a genuine revolution in motor vehicles (and likely all transport in time). What next? Will Elon Musk turn out to be a real life Bond villain after all?  :whistle:
I think trying to predict car values and market demand beyond a few months has never been more difficult.

If you liked the 128 then the JCW is more of the same in a smaller package. Hewn from solid feel, standard BMW plastics (good quality), torquey engine and super sharp steering.
In other words maybe the 128 will scratch two itches at once - and keep your palms warm to boot  :laugh:

A difficult decision for you maybe, but you went about it the right way and I agree, although there are many very good cars out there which would be nice to own, there are very few that jump out as being perfect with all boxes ticked.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline 245PS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #168 on: 28 April 2022, 09:50 »
Have always like the CS 40,

Me too. I nearly bought one at the start of Covid, but I couldn't test drive one and essentially therefore I didn't bother. Also, I had previously test driven a GTI PP, and found it very underwhelming. So I ended up with an RS3.

I change my cars frequently, and in the 18-24 months prior to that I had an M3, an SQ5, and an X3 m40d. After I the RS3 I bought an S7, and now I have the ED40. My point being, I've driven a fair few cars in the last few years, and some very nice cars at that, but I LOVE my ED40. I love the look, I love the seats, the steering wheel, the wheels, and I love that it's an exclusive version of an already iconic car. And it's in a different league to the GTI PP, in my opinion. Perhaps I drove a crap one, or perhaps I didn't drive it hard enough, I don't know.

I have also considered a TCR, but I couldn't get past the seats. I didn't want leather, and I just couldn't cope with the standard TCR seats. Perhaps that was because in the back of my mind all I really wanted was the CS buckets? Maybe. Probably. They're awesome.

So yeah not really sure what I trying to say really, just sharing how impressed I am with the CS ED40 I guess. I've not driven or even been in a TCR. Personally I don't think they are anywhere near as special as an ED40, although I won't argue that on paper they may be the better car. But then so is an RS3, and if I had my time again I wouldn't have bought it over the ED40.

That's all folks. :o)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #169 on: 28 April 2022, 09:56 »
I’m having a dilemma about my next car..

My GTi is just over 4 years old and on 63k miles. Pre invasion, I’d chosen the spec on a mk8 CS but now that needs tweaking as HK is no longer available and I have to decide whether I can “live” with the standard system for 4 years. Also, lead times are horrendous - I’m seeing anywhere from 12-18 months being quoted currently.

So do I order a new CS, knowing it’s not my desired spec, the lead time will be long and the possibility of a discount ( a process I enjoy getting ) slim. Or do I go mk8 GTi which will be cheaper but perhaps no easier to get. Having only driven one mk8, the lack of backlighting on the heating controls might be unacceptable …

The alternatives are looking for a used version but they are at a premium in both price and availability or finding an alternative make.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? The budget is c£40-43k . It is a company car so personal taxation will be a factor..

I’d be checking availability and lead times of alternative makes. There are likely to be a limited number of vehicles of other makes in stock at some dealers.

If you’re preference is the Golf, then there’s a brand new in-stock Golf GTI currently being advertised on Auto Trader and it had the HK sound system. It’s just above your budget price due to the options that car has. Link;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204204840331?sort=relevance&make=Volkswagen&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1501&postcode=nr13ns&aggregatedTrim=GTI&year-from=2022&model=Golf&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=1
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl