Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16436 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2021, 15:20 »
Would like an RS3 but the bean counters say no, but do have to decide on direction for my change in March, which is ridiculously not that far away (where this year go?!) and my solid plans of keeping the TCR after its lease is now highly likely out of the window given how excessively it will cost opposed to what it would have cost me to keep prior to the chip and supply chain issues. 

Given the price hikes on the Golf, and the options that would like on any MK 8 to make it desirable, and my actual favouring of the present TCR over the new MK 8, plus that am into 9th year of GTI/R ownership, really cannot see myself selecting another,

So what next? Having had a limited test drive in a BMW 128 ti at weekend in black, and that there is not many must have options, happy to have pretty much out of the box with a few of lesser options, so its likely to be a Misano Blue as stay on company lease for another cycle given the 128ti is likely to reduce my present monthlies being a £36-37k car opposed others that will likely be in excess

Ride was my biggest concern but though it is firm it did not feel anymore than my TCR and was much livelier than expected also, and really like the cabin experience, better than remembered from last time sat in a 1 Series (which never ever considered when rear wheel drive) 

Feel like giving up a little prestige with the TCR but does not feel the gap thought it would be, think will be quite content with the BMW.

Has anybody else moved to the new F40 BMW I series and more so the 128ti?

Still time to be tempted to something else, the TCR itself was a last minute change after dabbling with an A35 and another Golf R, but BMW is very much front runner given the overall package.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2021, 15:57 »
I have two comments Hertsman...

1) BMW like everyone have all sorts of supply problems - from options you can't order to delivery dates that aren't truthful or reliable. Just bear that in mind (with any OEM!) probably for all of 2022...

2) I hated the 128ti. Somewhere on here you'll find my review of it. The main issue is seat comfort and ride comfort. Both were simply terrible. Rest of the car was pretty good but poor comfort kinda ruins the rest of the car. Its not something the Mk7/7.5 ever suffered from. It is something other marques have all over the place though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2021, 18:22 »
Check out the M135i Hertsman.
The seats are better and the ride at least as comfortable.
It’s a fun drive as it feels more FWD than AWD and similar to the 128 the engine is a high torque output unit that goes well with the proper automatic that has better judged change points than DSG when you’re not driving flat out.
The interior is in a different league and the shell feels better braced making it feel quite luxurious for such a lively thing.
My only demerit is the steering feels a bit too sharp after many years of VW steering.

On balance I still prefer my Clubsport mk8 but that’s a deep rooted personal thing.

In your shoes I’d be looking closely at the Cupra Born
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2021, 19:05 »
Wow! Love that colour  :cool:
Bargain too  :shocked:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2021, 22:12 »
A small green car for 50k? You could buy a 2 bed terrace in accrington for that much.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2021, 07:50 »
Would like an RS3 but the bean counters say no, but do have to decide on direction for my change in March, which is ridiculously not that far away (where this year go?!) and my solid plans of keeping the TCR after its lease is now highly likely out of the window given how excessively it will cost opposed to what it would have cost me to keep prior to the chip and supply chain issues. 

Given the price hikes on the Golf, and the options that would like on any MK 8 to make it desirable, and my actual favouring of the present TCR over the new MK 8, plus that am into 9th year of GTI/R ownership, really cannot see myself selecting another,

So what next? Having had a limited test drive in a BMW 128 ti at weekend in black, and that there is not many must have options, happy to have pretty much out of the box with a few of lesser options, so its likely to be a Misano Blue as stay on company lease for another cycle given the 128ti is likely to reduce my present monthlies being a £36-37k car opposed others that will likely be in excess

Ride was my biggest concern but though it is firm it did not feel anymore than my TCR and was much livelier than expected also, and really like the cabin experience, better than remembered from last time sat in a 1 Series (which never ever considered when rear wheel drive) 

Feel like giving up a little prestige with the TCR but does not feel the gap thought it would be, think will be quite content with the BMW.

Has anybody else moved to the new F40 BMW I series and more so the 128ti?

Still time to be tempted to something else, the TCR itself was a last minute change after dabbling with an A35 and another Golf R, but BMW is very much front runner given the overall package.

I was going to suggest taking a look at an A35 - in the right configuration, they're a good place to be. One of my neighbours bought a Hyundai i30N in black and it looks really good - most are in blue that doesn't do the car any favours. Not sat in it so can't comment on interior quality but could be your left field choice?
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2021, 08:08 »
I have sat in an i30n. A reasonable cabin and instruments and controls seem intuitive.  Needs a bit of chrome such as handles to break up the black plastic interior particularly on the  doors. Not quite as good as the mk7. Seats adjusted well for fit and the ability to lengthen the seat base to support the knees was a nice touch but not road tested for comfort. Would seriously consider it as an alternative to the mk8. Its got a handbtake as well for when playing in the snow!  :wink:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 November 2021, 10:41 »
I didn't actually test drive the i30n in the end.

It's worth a look though I think.

The fuel economy is apparently its weakest thing though.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2021, 11:17 »
I spent an hour with an i30n not long after they came out. Thought the cabin quality was lacking compared to a Golf and the ride was harsh even in comfort mode, though I've heard they've softened it up a bit in later models. On the plus side it was really well equipped for the price, looks good, and the pops and bangs from the exhaust were quite addictive.

Fuel economy is indeed pretty poor. AutoTopNL managed to drain a quarter of a tank in less than 15 minutes on the Autobahn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJnbCRn7gQ.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.