Author Topic: Autocar test - Merc v BMW v GTI  (Read 8452 times)

mjh_056

Re: Autocar test - Merc v BMW v GTI
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2013, 19:29 »
Pretty pointless having the GTI in that test - was always going to get p!ssed on by the other two in a straight line - nearly 2 secs off the pace, would be like testing a GTI against diesel civic - what's the point??

The R will give them a run for their money but still won't beat the Merc in a straight line.

I do quite like the Merc even though the cabin is a little funky. The 135i is a lovely car though, sat inside one a few weekends ago and the cabin oozes class - worth the cash IMO.

I went to all the marque dealers many times before settling on firstly the Audi and then the GTD and I really wanted to have something else wow me and was disappointed - Think the BMW is a very subjective style I certainly do not get it and am very MEH on it and that is across all the ranges, the curves and grills and everything really - maybe that is just me.

Mercedes 1, I liked a lot when saw it in photos and went eagerly to the showroom and ended up really disliking it due to the interior and claustrophobic feel and letterbox views

So it was Audi all the way until the MK7 GTI and GTD came into view.

The R will be a lot closer than GTI but think this review has already served to demonstrate how complete a performance car the MK7 is. "In isolation it is a real peach as a hot hatch"

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2013, 20:06 »
Surely the RS3 is a closer match in cost and capability to the Merc!  Having the GTI there and not panning it is a big deal really. :laugh:

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2013, 20:21 »
I'm pleasantly surprised with the result... I was under the impression that the M-lite was gonna win hands down.

The Golf did surprisingly well considering the company it was in

GTi Performance 179bhp/ton vs M135i 219bhp/ton vs A45AMG 228bhp/ton...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Running Man

« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2013, 20:59 »
Surely the RS3 is a closer match in cost and capability to the Merc!  Having the GTI there and not panning it is a big deal really. :laugh:

Cars on sale now.

Offline OF1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2013, 08:18 »
Not really a fair test is it. These are the flagship A Class and 1 Series against the GTI. Should be the R they're compared to when it gets released.
Currently Driving: Mini Cooper SD | Chilli Red | Black Roof | Often mistaken for my girlfriend's car..

Cancelled Order: Golf GTD Manual 3 Door | Pure White | Leather | Dynaudio | Reversing Camera | Service Pack

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2013, 13:35 »
Not really a fair test is it. These are the flagship A Class and 1 Series against the GTI. Should be the R they're compared to when it gets released.

I agree it was a little "unfair" to include the GTi in this particular 'Shootout' (we all knew which would be the quickest based on the stats).....but I suppose what the Editor was trying to do was select three of the "latest" & most talked about hot hatches on the current market and pitch them head to head, to see whether or not you could get the same level of thrill & driver enjoyment from a car that costs £10k less (with the BMW providing the benchmark, sitting somewhere in between).

And the answer is a resounding "Yes!"  The GTi truly is a great 'drivers' car...
« Last Edit: 26 June 2013, 13:37 by Gung-Ho »
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 June 2013, 13:35 »
Really quite a pointless review. It should just have been a straight shoot out between the Merc and the Beemer. What's the point of seeing if the Golf can keep up with the merc, I mean c'mon 230bhp vs 350bhp  :huh:.  You don't need a rocket scientist to work out the result of that test. 

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #17 on: 26 June 2013, 14:28 »
Really quite a pointless review. It should just have been a straight shoot out between the Merc and the Beemer. What's the point of seeing if the Golf can keep up with the merc, I mean c'mon 230bhp vs 350bhp  :huh:.  You don't need a rocket scientist to work out the result of that test.

It kinda reminds me of Moneyball (Who has seen it/read it?  If you haven't go do so now!  Awesome look at management and at statistics, let alone the underdog and pioneer aspects of the story.)

$40million vs $110million
Oakland A's vs NY Yankees

The point, one of the points, of that story is that its not just about what you can do, it is also about doing it efficiently.  --- EDIT: sh!t forgot about spoilers, so removed this bit --- Arguably the same applies here:

£40k vs £28k
A45 AMG vs GTI Performance

Is the AMG worth the extra money, or does the Golf offer more bang for its buck?  Another example would be the way horse power is thrown around by cars like the VXR and Megan 265.  Horse power alone is no use, its how you get it on the road that matters.  Statistics are not helpful if they are not properly understood.

Then again I tend to agree with you, this isn't how road tests should really be done.  Few people are going to choose between an A45 and a GTI, it will be RS3 vs A45 and Focus ST vs GTI (or whatever).  Hypothetically they could have decided the A45 is overpriced and then made a case against it with the GTI as an example of better value, but an open ended road test?  Bit silly really.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2013, 14:34 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 26 June 2013, 14:55 »
Just to let you all know the "Mega-hatch mega-test" is also nicely written up in this weeks Autocar (26th June). Nice read & some great pics too  :cool:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 26 June 2013, 16:40 »
Unfair comparison as the Merc and BMW are in a higher performance league.
The A45 AMG is the best but at quite a price hike.
The M135i seems good value for money but has suspect steering and body control.
The Mk7 GTI is the slow coach but a well sorted car.

Audi S3 should really be compared with the A45 AMG and BMW M135i.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP