Author Topic: Coolant flush  (Read 3099 times)

Offline aminorthreat1

• GTI forum regular
Coolant flush
« on: 22 January 2010, 18:56 »
Right, im aware that VW's require a certain type of anti-freeze, my 97 mk3 gti ABF currently has a pink coolant solution in it, which im guessing contains the G12 antifreeze. i've just bought the car and the anti-freeze is about to drop below the minimum. So, since the coolant hasn't been changed in a long time i was planning on flushing the entire system, the only replacement anti-freeze i could get my hands on is made by Comma, its the super longlife red anti freeze and claims to be VW/audi/skoda approved (its silicate free with organic acid technology, so from what i gather its prety much the same as g12) . any one used this stuff? im just a little paranoid as everything i have read about VW coolant changes all have ONLY USE VW G12 in big bold letters at the start.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Re: Coolant flush
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2010, 10:58 »
The comma will be fine to use.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline 95gti8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2010, 22:21 »
Would any make of antifreeze/coolant not be fine?

I need to do the coolant pipe on mine and just bought a gallon of Red something or other from local motorfactors. Is there a reason why I shouldn't use this?? :shocked:

Offline aminorthreat1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2010, 17:40 »
have a read of that: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/antifreeze.htm
Just bare in mind that you cant mix g12/g11 antifreeze with other kinds as it forms a thick sludge. check the anti freeze to see if its VW approved

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2010, 19:32 »
g11 is blue and g12 is red....use the comma red and you'll be fine (it is vw approved)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline 95gti8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2010, 11:16 »
It's platinum red stuff I got, said compatible with Vw or something (list other manufacturers on back too) so guessing that's ticketyboo