Author Topic: Oh deer  (Read 4612 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: Oh deer
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2024, 11:54 »
Incidentally, living in Scotland and using the A9 in particular, deer incidents are my constant dread.
No matter how you drive, they are and extra risk. 
Those thoughts have encouraged me to slow down, especially evening/night many times.
I have had a few very close encounters but never a hit.
PS : you don’t want to hit a fully grown red deer!!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2024, 14:27 »
I hope I'm wrong but it might be more expensive than you think, if the rad is bent its likely everything in front is bent too (AC condenser, Intercooler) even small Muntjacs make a big impact.

Hopefully you'll get off lightly but lots of cars that hit a Deer have more damage than initial inspection, so many parts link and connect its crazy once you start taking them apart. 

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2024, 15:00 »
I hope I'm wrong but it might be more expensive than you think, if the rad is bent its likely everything in front is bent too (AC condenser, Intercooler) even small Muntjacs make a big impact.

Hopefully you'll get off lightly but lots of cars that hit a Deer have more damage than initial inspection, so many parts link and connect its crazy once you start taking them apart.

Yes, I can vouch for a small muntjac causing quite a lot of damage.

A few years ago, my brother had one jump out of a hedgerow on a country road into the front nearside corner of his car; new front bumper, new front wing and a repair to the front nearside door required. My brother’s a named driver on my policy so I had to declare the incident to my insurance company as well and my premium went up at the next renewal. How much of that increase was due normal rating / claim inflation and how much was due to my brother’s incident with the muntjac, I’ll never know……… :whistle:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2024, 09:48 »
Catching up with thread, without protected bonus, insurance is just the solution of last resort I think.
Take hold of the situation and manage it yourself.
If you report to your insurer it is difficult to reverse and you lose control of the repair costs and more importantly the cost of insurance for some time to come.
Happy to give you more advice any time you need.
Yeah currently trying to do this, in the process of getting the car recovered back to my house so I can then get someone to come out to give me a quote on the repairs. Thankfully I'm able to get it recovered back to my house for free so saved some money there.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2024, 13:50 »
Managed to get hold of some additional images - what do we think?

Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2024, 17:13 »
TBH looking at that, you'll be all for paying for it until you get an estimate, and then i think it'll be the insurance route.

Looks like a front bumper and all the associated grilles, front splitter, an air con rad and a coolant rad at the least.

Soon starts to add up.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2024, 17:54 »
TBH looking at that, you'll be all for paying for it until you get an estimate, and then i think it'll be the insurance route.

Looks like a front bumper and all the associated grilles, front splitter, an air con rad and a coolant rad at the least.

Soon starts to add up.
Yeah sadly that's my feeling, I've been going over it in my head as many different ways as I can and honestly I think the easiest thing to do is just to go down the insurance route. Car is getting recovered back to my house tomorrow so I can do a more thorough inspection and go from there. Bloody annoying.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2024, 18:28 »
Trouble is you want it putting back to exactly how it was prior, you don't want to be cutting corners here and there trying to save a few ££.

It looks a really, really nice example and you want it returned to how it was.

You've paid enough insurance over the years, time to have something in return.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2024, 18:30 »
I hit a pheasant at 60mph on the A1 a few years back in my last GTi and it cost me near to £1500 to repair. The bumper itself wasn't damaged but if it had it would have been even more. Air con radiator was pushed back into the radiator and my Acc bracket snapped off completely. Front cross member needed replacing along with all the plastic lower bumper trims. It soon adds up unfortunately.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2024, 19:10 »
Have to agree that's an insurance job unfortunately. Although maybe SRGTD can way in a bit more here, what are the odds of the car getting categorised with the recent hit to the car market?

Also I'd definitely check the headlights, think they're £1,200 a pop so any cracks would make a bit impact to self repair cost.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/