Author Topic: Looking after new paint and old paint  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
Looking after new paint and old paint
« on: 22 April 2009, 08:27 »
In the next 3 weeks my car is going into to have everything except the boot and roof sprayed practically. I obviously want to keep this paint tip top, and wouldnt mind getting into a little bit of detailing myself.

How should i keep it looking awesome?

I currently have a meguirs wash mit, and the NXT??? Shampoo stuff. Meguirs Water Magnet towel thingy

About 1million microfibre clothes.

And some pretty crap polish stuff.

Want to get into this claying, and some good wax polish i presume? Maybe one of these lamb wool mitts if they are better than what i have?

Suggestions anyone?

I also want to get my roof which isnt being sprayed up to tip top condition?

Cheers

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Looking after new paint and old paint
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2009, 09:27 »
if you're having everything else sprayed why don't you get the roof done at the same time otherwise it'll be a mismatch?  :huh:

new paint... needs time to harden - 90 days - do not wax or seal or polish your new paint during this period

your new paint will not need claying during this period

imo the best thing that you can do is a regular Two Bucket Wash - twice weekly... to keep the paint clean and fresh and preferably swirl free... for details on a TBW see sticky thread above. make sure your new lambswool mitt that you will be purchasing is uber clean all the time.

once your paint has hardened after 90 days then clay, polish, seal and lots of hard wax  :cool: