Author Topic: Need advice on best Mk1 to get  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Need advice on best Mk1 to get
« on: 26 February 2003, 15:50 »
Hi everone, I ready to buy a MK1 Golf GTI (not a cab), I used to have a D reg Mk2 which I loved!

But first I need some expert advice i need to know -

What is the best year to buy?

What is better or more reliable, the 1.6 or 1.8, 5 speed or 4 speed.

Any problems with specific models etc

Any info would be a great help!

Thanks

deef
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

mo3000

Re: Need advice on best Mk1 to get
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2003, 20:55 »
Good choice.

Best year to get is probably the latest you can, Y or A plate.

All of these are 1.8 5-speed,  the main benifit being that parts can still be found this engine. The earlier 1.6 Engine is getting quite hard to get bits for if you want the genuine stuff anyway, and the fact that the 1.8 has got a fair bit more torque.

The main problems with the Mk 1 are rust and abuse. Even the newest one are pushing twenty, so bare that in mind. Especially around the back suspension mounts, above the fuel pump, spare wheel well, inner front of the rear wheel arch by the sill....... basically the whole back end. is a problem area. Drivers footwell, inner wings and clutch cable duct in the bulkhead being the main ones at the front.

Its also worth bearing in mind that any interior trim is also virtually impossible to buy new, unless you upgrade to the later Cabrio items. But thankfully genuine switchgear can still be supplied from VW.

With any luck you should find a good one, but expect to pay good money for a clean original example as they are getting a bit thin on the ground, anything upto ?3500 for something in truely excellent condition, and down south even more, thats why i sell most of my ex-steeds down there if i get the chance.

They are still bloody good cars, and are quite capable of Taking the piss out of much more powerful machinery.

Thats why i have had 5 of them.

Good luck.

PS: Don't get a white one, please.

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2003, 21:20 »
Thanks Mo3000, Just the sort of info I was after!

Why not a white one?

I have always wanted a MK1, as I like to tinker as I did with my Mk2, but the dreaded blue smoke started to appear and as it was my only car at the time I needed something to go back and forth to work in, other wise I would of had a go at stripping and replacing the engine!

Ideally I would love to pick one up that has had all the upgrades, i.e electric window, remote c/l etc already done, but I am not after a redicoulslly 'Max Power type', Just a good original one with the upgraded creature comforts!

I am in South Wales, any clubs or so I could go looking for down here?

And where would be the best place to look for a nice one, gti owners club (if one exists)  one I guess would be the best place as you know it is more or less bean looked after!

I have a Clio 172 at the moment, great car, great fun, but loosing money and the insurance is a bit steep, So I want to sell it and get a MK1 gti for my pride and joy and a run around for work!

Deef!

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2003, 22:58 »
Good write-up mo3000 - nice one  :)

Deef, Jeffers is currently selling his silver campaign Golf. It's the one in the Practical Classics feature:

http://www.golfgti.co.uk/viewfeature.asp?featureID=17

Check out his site for more info:

http://www.clubgtioxford.co.uk/

cheers,

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2003, 10:32 »
Thanks, Jeffs car is perfect, I have contacted him!

I have a few more questions-

What years was the mk1 in production? was 1983 it's last year?

Are there any changes in th engine, i.e when i had the Mk2 it could not be modified much because it had a something tronic engine? or something like that, can't remember now! - Is there any thing like this to look out for in a mk1?

Thanks again

deef

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2003, 12:01 »
1983 on an A reg was it's last year for a mk1 GTI, started in '79 I think.

Bosch K-Jetronic is the injection system on mk1's, early mk2 8v and all mk2 16v's. The mk2 8v swapped to the Bosch Digifant system in (guess) 87-ish.

To do the equivalent of 'chipping' the K-Jetronic system you need a K-Star set up. Some details here:

http://www.auto-amd.com/kstar.asp

I think Jeff already has that on his car. ?:)

(remind myself to start a GTI brokering business - could make some nice commission ?:P )

jv

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2003, 14:35 »
Thanks jv! Digifant  & K-Jetronic  That's what they wrere :)

The cost of these is quite alot, so it would be a shrew move by me (or anyone else) to buy one with the kstar already fitted!

btw - Here is your reminder to start your own  GTI brokering business :) LoL

If there is anything else you think i should look out for let me know.

Thanks

deef

mo3000

« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2003, 20:26 »
 Although a k-star is a good idea, The old K-jetronic responds well to old school tuning mods like ported heads, cams, Audi throttle bodies and warm up regulators..... etc, etc.
  I might upset afew people by saying this, but K&N filters and Big exhaust rarely gain power, normally the opposite.  The Genuine Mk1 Exhaust is very effecient, and most after market ones make a big deal of how it looks and sounds, rather than how well it gets rid of spent gases. You also look a twit riding around in a Mk1 with a DTM back box, lit washer jets, Front & rear splitter and a sun strip.

If I have just offended some Mk1 owners out there... f**k em', Give your Mk1 a good home, and go back to polishing turds like the Vauxhall Nova/Corsa, Or as is done nowadays, a bloody Saxo. twits. ;D

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2003, 20:49 »
Totally agree Mo3000! I want to keep the original look, but as I said with a few modern creature comforts like eletrci windows, C/L, cat1 system etc. The reason for the k-star upgrade is for unleaded purpose only really!

Yeah those saxo drivers (and bleeding BMW's) always try to race me in my 172 :) I don't like to race much (don't see the point), So I just up the revs to a mere 5000 and they are soon gone! L0L

The problem with buying a car which has had alot of engine mods is when something goes wrong, it's even more difficult to figure out how to fix it! And garages would probablly take me for a ride!

Cheers

deef

mo3000

« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2003, 21:01 »
 You don't need a K-star for unleaded on the 8V GTI. On 16V's you don't either, so long as you use decent petrol (read, not supermarket stuff) like Shell Optimax or similar.  Since your looking for an original Mk1, you won't get a 16V Anyway.

I'm just waiting for some clown to say you need a K- star, I've done 125,000 miles in a E plate 16V since 4 star went the way of all things and it still gives 138bhp, as it should, from the flywheel. without any problems or valve wear. ;)