Author Topic: Insurance quotes for the R  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: Insurance quotes for the R
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2015, 19:48 »
As you have full no claims you are in the happy position of being able to simply ditch the current insurers without loss of discount if they play greedy on the change premium....

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2015, 20:02 »
As you have full no claims you are in the happy position of being able to simply ditch the current insurers without loss of discount if they play greedy on the change premium....
Too true, but also allows me to negotiate should they try :whistle:
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2015, 09:54 »
Thank you so much for the replies, I was asking as I am about to ring my current insurer to enquire what difference I would pay when the changeover takes place. Currently I pay £245 per year, on a Mark 6 GTI with full no claims discount, legal cover and business insurance included which I thought was really good, and the cheapest I could find (tesco if you were wondering).

I don't understand your concern... If it is worrying you, why didn't you do the research before you ordered the car? Even if it is twice as much, its only an extra £250 per year or ~£21 month... Is it really that significant?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2015, 10:21 »
So what quote have you got from the usual comparison sites - you must do that before you speak to your existing insurer. Its usually cheaper to switch in this situation so long as you have full no claims.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2015, 12:42 »
Thank you so much for the replies, I was asking as I am about to ring my current insurer to enquire what difference I would pay when the changeover takes place. Currently I pay £245 per year, on a Mark 6 GTI with full no claims discount, legal cover and business insurance included which I thought was really good, and the cheapest I could find (tesco if you were wondering).

I don't understand your concern... If it is worrying you, why didn't you do the research before you ordered the car? Even if it is twice as much, its only an extra £250 per year or ~£21 month... Is it really that significant?

Depending upon the situation it could be. If someone is at the limit they can or will pay for a car and running it, a likely £25 a month (they always want interest if you pay in installments) extra expense might be the straw that broke the Camel's back. In all likelihood though, swapping a MK6 GTI for a MK7 GTI or R will almost certainly result in a premium reduction due to the standard fit of ACC.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2015, 13:28 »
Depending upon the situation it could be. If someone is at the limit they can or will pay for a car and running it, a likely £25 a month (they always want interest if you pay in installments) extra expense might be the straw that broke the Camel's back. In all likelihood though, swapping a MK6 GTI for a MK7 GTI or R will almost certainly result in a premium reduction due to the standard fit of ACC.

Exactly my point, if it is that tight... you can't afford to run the car... There's little point in buying a car you can't afford to drive...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2015, 20:26 »

Exactly my point, if it is that tight... you can't afford to run the car... There's little point in buying a car you can't afford to drive...

Not worried just curious. Before I researched I thought I would gain opinion from people who have already purchased or quoted.

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Gingernick

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2015, 11:31 »
as already said by one poster...the PP equipped gti is the fastest car I have had and also the cheapest to insure..I still dont understand it..I pay the princely sum of 207 of the queens pounds (150 quid excess, safeguarded no claims)

but then I am middle aged with no points and a no claims dating back to the late 80's

but its still hilarious I can have such a capable car for next to nowt to insure
3dr Gti, manual, tornado red, performance pack, dynaudio. gone now

5dr GTi, manual, red, Performance pack, dynaudio
going

5dr Gti, Manual, performance pack , indium grey (for a change!)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2015, 20:28 »
as already said by one poster...the PP equipped gti is the fastest car I have had and also the cheapest to insure..I still dont understand it..I pay the princely sum of 207 of the queens pounds (150 quid excess, safeguarded no claims)

but then I am middle aged with no points and a no claims dating back to the late 80's

but its still hilarious I can have such a capable car for next to nowt to insure

Long may the safety gadgets continue.......