Author Topic: Plug n play sound system  (Read 1580 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Plug n play sound system
« on: 10 October 2014, 15:28 »
Has anyone got one of these on their Mk7?

I constantly kick myself for not having spec'ed dynaudio, which had I know about the lack of speakers in the basic sound system I would have. Having just door speakers is a bit crap.

It seems like you can buy direct from the dealer the plug n play audio system and it just goes in the spare well (not sure if that means you loose the spare mind you?)

Any experience or thoughts?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Plug n play sound system
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2014, 19:24 »
Where exactly are your speakers and which ones are they, for example mids, tweeters etc,. Without sounding like I am rubbing it in, The dynaudio setup in my car provides 2 ways in the front doors, Tweeters in the front windscreen pillars, 2 ways and Tweeters in the rear doors and Small Sub in the boot within the spare wheel.  I was lead to believe the basic system had the same speaker layout throughout the car (minus the sub and amp). Although I suspect the speakers maybe of a higher grade as well with the Dynaudio setup?   

If you get the Plug & Play system you will have a similar setup to the Dynaudio without the amp.  So the main difference in this case will be the lack of clarity and refinement at higher volumes but at lower volumes there may not be much in it between the basic speaker setup with plug & play and Dynaudio setup.  Personally I am glad I configured the Dynaudio system for my GTI.  However if I had not, I would have installed the Plug & Play system without a second thought.  This would have been the case If I bought the Golf R as you cannot configure Dynaudio in the UK for a Golf R yet. But you can in Germany?   :smiley:

Can anyone confirm this? 

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2014, 07:45 »
You get more than just door speakers if you don't have dynaudio!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2014, 09:41 »
That's what I thought.  I thought it was the same speaker layout minus the sub for the standard speaker setup.  The only difference Dynaudio brings to the table is a Sub, Amp and maybe better speakers which fit in to the existing speaker holes? 

It just wouldn't be productive or practical for VW to have an option which requires custom cutting of the bodywork and door panels to fit speakers.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2014, 10:29 »
Really? I can only find 4 speakers on my car and all the sound sounds like it comes out of the footwells!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2014, 10:37 »
You should have...

2x speakers at the bottom of the front doors.
2x tweeters behind grilles on the a pillar (either side of the windscreen)

and in a 3 door...

2x speakers  + 2x tweeters behind separate grilles in the rear quarter panels.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2014, 11:40 »
I can see the thing on the A pillar, but I thought that looked like a blanking panel, not a speaker lol.

Must just be a bit deaf then, that's what happens when you are old and listen to too much DnB :D

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2014, 13:28 »
The thing on the pillar will be a tweeter so not a lot of sound comes from it only the high notes  :smiley: