Author Topic: How to spec a GTI  (Read 3165 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: How to spec a GTI
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2014, 15:48 »
^ Is oryx really added on top of pure white, making it a 3 coat process and a really thick paint job? Seems over-elaborate to me, rather than just putting Oryx on undercoat like every other paint job, then lacquer on top.

Isn't the fleck just in the lacquer making it still a 2 coat process?
Someone on here posted they have it and bought VW touch up paint and all they got was pure white and a special lacquer in the kit.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline charv94

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2014, 16:45 »
Cheers for all the help,

I think I'm fairly sure on the options then, you've all swayed me to want the keyless go.

So i reckon i will get a Carbon grey, keyless go, discover nav (standard version) gti.

DSG doesn't appeal to me being a young lad wanting to be involved, Performance pack: well, yes i will push the car hard and the pack probably will help me, however its a bit much at £1000 and may affect my insurance costs too, and that 10bhp won't make much difference in my opinion, the jump from 85bhp to 220 will be plenty I'm sure!!!!

It sounds like ill reject any offers from the dealer to protect the paint with a product and just go privately to get it done.

All I've got to hope for now is that the car arrives post march 1st but before my birthday so i will have no choice but to have it early!!

One final question, i don't know if anyone has any experience on this but i have a private plate, which i will want to transfer across to the new car. How will this work and will i have to get it taken off my current car first or can i rely on the dealer doing all the leg work for me?

Cheers gents
Mk7 GTI - CSG - Now Gone

M135i 5dr Auto - Mineral Grey

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2014, 17:01 »
You can rely on the dealer doing the plate change but it will hold up the collection of your new car.Which may or not be a problem to you.
Personally I prefer to put my plate on retention and then do the transfer myself when I get the car as I can then run around in the new car while this is taking place.
Its £25 dearer putting it on retention then transferring but at least you are in control

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/overview
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2014, 17:14 »
^ Is oryx really added on top of pure white, making it a 3 coat process and a really thick paint job? Seems over-elaborate to me, rather than just putting Oryx on undercoat like every other paint job, then lacquer on top.

Isn't the fleck just in the lacquer making it still a 2 coat process?
Someone on here posted they have it and bought VW touch up paint and all they got was pure white and a special lacquer in the kit.
It was I who bought the touch spray of Oryx White.  It comes as 3 cans. Pure White, Pearlescent Laquer and another can which escapes me as to what it was right now.  I was surprised  to see a can of Pure White in the set when I bought it. 

On another note I find Dynaudio makes a big difference to the whole premium feel of the interior environment of the car.  I have looked on VW Germany today to see if the Golf R can actually be specced with it and it seems in Germany it can be configured as an option.  So why is it that the Golf R in this country cannot be configured with Dynaudio?  This however lends itself to this thread, if you are the kind of person who loves to heavily configure your car, the GTI has many more options than the R in the UK.