Author Topic: My GTD told me when to take a break!  (Read 3645 times)

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
My GTD told me when to take a break!
« on: 06 October 2014, 02:58 »
Well not me exactly, but my sister.....

She borrowed my car for a weekend to travel to Bristol. She said that a notification on the MFD appeared suggesting she took a break, not once but twice!

Well that's news to me... I've done the exact same journey as she did and have never had that pop up on the display, I'm intrigued now! Does anyone have any more info on this feature?

Ta
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: My GTD told me when to take a break!
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2014, 07:36 »
It's in the manual!  :angry:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2014, 07:37 »
There are some monitoring devices that can supposedly detect fatigue. Not the usual camera detection that watches the eyes, but a number of factors considered. I forget the things that are monitored now, but have read them somewhere (probably drifting about a little within a lane will be the primary one. I'm sure someone will be along shortly having read the manual and can tell you more!  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2014, 08:27 »
From the MK7 self study manual........

Task
Between 5% and 25% of all accidents are due to fatigue. Tiredness at the wheel causes more serious accidents
than other causes of accidents.
The Driver Alert System (DAS) is a convenience function which supports the driver by acting as a preventative function for detecting driver fatigue.

Function

The driver's alertness is identified by analysing the way the driver is steering the vehicle. If the system identifies that the driver is about to fall asleep, then an acoustic warning is issued along with a text prompt in the multifunction display of the dash panel insert, telling the driver to take a break.

Along with the way the vehicle is being steered, data about the driving situation (vehicle speed, accelerator pedal use,  indicating, time of day, duration of journey, etc.) and the buttons pushed by the driver on the set-up and convenience  functions (air conditioning system, telephone use, etc.) are registered and transmitted via the CAN bus to the diagnostic
interface for data bus, where they are analysed. The sensors required for the system are part of the ESC system, with the software integrated in the gateway.

Display
When driver fatigue is detected, a message appears in the dash panel insert for 5 seconds and a “gong” sounds. If
the driver does not take a break within the next 15 minutes, the message and gong are repeated. After this repetition, there is no further message.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2014, 08:28 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2014, 21:53 »
I had the message come on to the MFD during a 200miles drive for the first time and was also suprised. It seems that the car monitors how often do you have do to corrections to the steering especially during a night drive and pops up the coffee break message. For me particularly it showed up because I was changing lanes to often due to the traffic conditions.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2014, 22:11 »
It's in the manual!  :angry:

First place I looked but couldn't find it

Thanks for the replies chaps
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R