Author Topic: Breakdown cover/roadside assistance.  (Read 3369 times)

physio

Breakdown cover/roadside assistance.
« on: 29 September 2014, 14:52 »
hi guys
MY golf  GTi  is 1 year old on Friday
I have never had a  membership card or anything else regarding VW roadside recovery
so  now the  free 12 months cover is up  will they contact me  to see if I want to renew it ?
Orr has anybody  any recommendations as which service to use
 thanks

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
Re: road side assistance
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2014, 15:03 »
Mine is 11 months old and theyve been contacting me for the past month for a renewal - 2-3 letters
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2014, 15:31 »
They haven't asked me, and I'm almost a month expired. You never really see it mentioned now, but VW have some "mobility guarantee", meaning that if the car breaks down in warranty for anything that is attributed to warranty (ie not accident, running out of fuel, putting the wrong fuel in or puncture) they're obliged to get VW assistance to recover you FOC, Europe-wide. I wonder whether they've sneakily withdrawn it. With Seat you get 2 years breakdown cover, with Skids and Audi it's 3 years, we're definitely short-changed by VAG as VW drivers.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

physio

« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2014, 15:42 »
I will give them a call and see what they say then post it on this page

physio

« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2014, 15:52 »
just rung them 
my car is on their system  ,she   did not know why I had not been contacted
its £99 for one year or £150 for 2 yrs  full cover  home assist etc
its the car that's covered
they do not send membership cards out

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2014, 18:18 »
^ makes sense, they've switched from RAC to AA recently the RAC, but seem to be sticking with the RAC rules of the car being covered (as a normal AA member you are covered, even as a passenger, not the car).

It's pricey cover but it's pretty much top tier level of cover you can expect from a breakdown firm.

Offline Nobby VW

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2014, 20:43 »
Out of interest, I'm pretty sure if you purchased a Service Plan with your new car, Roadside assistance is
provided as part of that package for the duration of cover. Not sure if it can be purchased retrospectively.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2014, 20:50 »
Out of interest, I'm pretty sure if you purchased a Service Plan with your new car, Roadside assistance is
provided as part of that package for the duration of cover. Not sure if it can be purchased retrospectively.

Never heard of that as a selling point, i'd have thought they'd be telling us all if that is the case - my last 3 VWs have had a service pack with them. I do know that with the VW "mobility guarantee", you had to keep your car serviced by a VW franchised workshop to get it.

Offline ChrisUK01

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2014, 22:21 »
At the end of the 12th months I would hunt around for a better deal I used to have RAC for under 100 and it covered me for *any* car I drove.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2014, 22:56 »
Do you maybe have a bank account that offers road side assistance?
Our Lloyds bank account offers free AA cover which I didn't have a clue about until the Mrs mentioned it.
I think a few banks offer something similar?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14