Author Topic: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?  (Read 17700 times)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?
« on: 14 April 2013, 10:27 »
Is it crazy to choose the GTD over the GTI when you only do 5-6000 miles per year? The payments are a decent bit lower on PCP along with road tax and possibly a little better on fuel, but the GTI will be a bit more fun with the petrol turbo. Just seems a little wrong when doing such a low mileage? Any thoughts?
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2013, 10:42 »
Well there's insurance as well. Some of our younger members might not be able to afford the insurance premiums on a GTI ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2013, 10:44 »
Yes it makes no sense. Diesels don't like low miles / short journeys either, where the car doesn't even warm up.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2013, 10:45 »
I only do about 6k a year in my GTI so i've gone for another one, if cost is a concern for you then definately the GTD is a fantastic compromise but if you can afford the GTI and don't do lots of miles then yes i'd say buying the GTD is a little crazy! :lipsrsealed:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2013, 10:45 »
Well there's insurance as well. Some of our younger members might not be able to afford the insurance premiums on a GTI ?

I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference?

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2013, 10:46 »
Yes it makes no sense. Diesels don't like low miles / short journeys either, where the car doesn't even warm up.

You're right, that's a good point. I never thought about DPF issues etc. I realise MPG on short/cold journeys is no better in diesel than petrol.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2013, 10:47 »
It's entirely up to you.

Personally I prefer the more relaxed drive of a diesel and the better fuel economy, even tho' with such a low mileage that doesn't really factor. On paper and round the track at anything above 8 tenths, the GTI will be faster, but on the road, the few meters the GTI will have pulled away, will be reeled in at the next set of lights.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2013, 10:48 »

I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference?

My heart wants the GTI, but it's stretching my monthly budget the wrong side of comfortable.  :huh:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2013, 10:49 »
My heart wants the GTI, but it's stretching my monthly budget the wrong side of comfortable.  :huh:

Why not wait a bit and save up then?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2013, 10:50 »
It's entirely up to you.

Personally I prefer the more relaxed drive of a diesel and the better fuel economy, even tho' with such a low mileage that doesn't really factor. On paper and round the track at anything above 8 tenths, the GTI will be faster, but on the road, the few meters the GTI will have pulled away, will be reeled in at the next set of lights.

I'm not sure a hot hatch should feel relaxed. Speedwise I agree, on the road in general there isn't much difference, but the feel and the drive is very different.