Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 438635 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: LL's MK3 20VT
« Reply #1690 on: 15 November 2010, 10:15 »
I would check and see if you have another problem, mine was as low on the front end and I had loads of clearance.

The GTi and non GTi models had different ARB's though didn't they?

I didn't have a problem before, but now I have gone that little bit lower the ARB and steering arm touch.

Yes different I believe, might better to bin the anti roll bar I know it is not the greatest idea in the worl but loads better than trying to mount it underneath.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1691 on: 15 November 2010, 10:53 »
Mmmm, was thinking of binning it. It seems to be as simple as putting the drop links under the wishbone and your done. If it proves to be difficult or starts fouling other stuff, I'll bin it for sure :D

The Mk3 non-GTi ARB's are the same as the Mk2 GTi ARB's I think, so maybe an aftermarket Mk2 GTi one will fit. Is the only difference in the Mk2/3 GTi ARB's the thickness (just for reference really)?

We'll see, don't really care as long as I can get it aligned and it stays aligned!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1692 on: 15 November 2010, 10:57 »
If you fit it underneath you stand a chance of ripping it off.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1693 on: 15 November 2010, 11:01 »

Yeah, I'll have to see how low it sits compared everything else.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1694 on: 15 November 2010, 11:12 »

Yeah, I'll have to see how low it sits compared everything else.

One last thing, an anti roll works by pushing down on the wishbones thus stopping roll, not going to do much mounted underneath.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1695 on: 17 November 2010, 09:38 »
Its mounted underneath now, so will see it goes. Gotta to be better than having none there at all. The drop links don't sit too low, if anything the sump sits lower, so shouldn't have problems with them grounding out.

Fitted my rear engine spacers, so the rear of the engine is now 30mm higher.

Hammer and dolly kit + heat gun will be out this week for some serious arch work :evil: Then either this weekend or next, its off to tyre place to get it aligned.

Going to set the gap in the plugs today to 0.024" and see if that makes things better.

:)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #1696 on: 17 November 2010, 09:43 »
A lot of tweaking going on since i last looked.....  Its like a never ending project (which is good in some ways)..... not sure about the ARB, you'll have to post how it drives with it setup like that???.....

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1697 on: 17 November 2010, 11:13 »
A lot of tweaking going on since i last looked.....  Its like a never ending project (which is good in some ways)..... not sure about the ARB, you'll have to post how it drives with it setup like that???.....

Yer mate, it is like a never ending project. Now don't get me wrong, its fun but its starting to get old :D Nothing is EVER easy!

Will post up what it's like. Its staying like that, cause the other alternatives are remove it (CBA!) or raise the car and put it like it was (NOT happening!).

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #1698 on: 17 November 2010, 11:28 »

Yer mate, it is like a never ending project. Now don't get me wrong, its fun but its starting to get old :D Nothing is EVER easy!

Will post up what it's like. Its staying like that, cause the other alternatives are remove it (CBA!) or raise the car and put it like it was (NOT happening!).

It's OK, I can see mine being the same.... technically i think getting on the road is only going to be the start of it!...

well as long as you're happy with it all the leave it.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1699 on: 17 November 2010, 12:47 »
I keep taking two steps back and one forward. I try making something better and always end up causing more problems, then (finally) it comes out better than before.

I can't wait to get to the point where the list begins to get smaller. Now the list seems to go down, then fills right back up again :D

If it wasn't my daily, it would be easier, cheaper, etc; so I might start using the work van more often.