Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 427091 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« Reply #2770 on: 28 January 2013, 08:23 »
Think it's about time we got to see this car in motion.  :wink:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2771 on: 28 January 2013, 08:55 »
Think it's about time we got to see this car in motion.  :wink:

Ben did a video when he was behind me once but dunno what happened to that

Next stop is Nick from Carbona house for some remapping

And also a updated fuel pump

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
« Reply #2772 on: 28 January 2013, 22:02 »
seen you driving it today on leeds road, noticed the numberplate..  :drool: looked lethal and it was going pretty (fast)

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2773 on: 29 January 2013, 10:38 »
Taking the gf to work, she works at the white rosé centre :-)

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Gavv8

« Reply #2774 on: 09 February 2013, 23:01 »
Yeah, still the sweetest mk3 of them all.. :cool:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2775 on: 09 February 2013, 23:06 »
Thanks mate, means lots to me does that :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline hotgolf1

• Just got here
« Reply #2776 on: 03 April 2013, 22:26 »
here is the Hotgolf Lightened and balanced flywheels next to the regular ABF one, he has machined this to suit Turbo car, which is a lot different to how he would do N/A types

Uh huh.

He took the weight off the flywheel in a different way to which he would for an NA engine?

You probably need to get some explanation on that, because grams and kilos are the same whether they're being driven by an NA motor, or a turbo motor.  :grin:

And the weight that's taken off is around the outside of the flywheel, last time I checked.

So you're out there wasting the competition on private strips yet can't make it to Inters and there's no photos or video of the car in motion?

Here's the solution.

http://www.rwyb.co.uk/dates.php

Look - there are dates all the way through til October.

Yes, I machined this flywheel different to that of a N/A engine, in that I didn't make it as light as I usually would.  I also didn't take as much weight from the outer edge where I might add, it would make more difference due to the centrifugal forces.
Grams and kilos are just a unit of weight but take them from different places and it's going to make things react differently. Taking weight off closer to the centre will have less effect than taking it off the outer edge. For example, I can remove 1kg from 2 flywheels to make them weigh the same, but the characteristics of each flywheel would be totally different.
A normally asperated 16v revving to 9k would use a light flywheel to help rev up due to the lack of low down torque( peaky cams), where as a torquey turbo engine peaking at 6500 doesn't need a super lightweight flywheel.

There'll be talk of non-revving 2.1 diesel cranks and loss of torque when using lightened flywheels next ;)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2777 on: 03 April 2013, 23:37 »
I still don't think Dear Brad has turned up at a drag strip or track day and shown how he can waste the competition.

Is there any footage of it yet, or is it all just hollow chat?

Or do we still have that to look forward to?

Obviously no one's holding their breath, or they'd be dead by now.

And no there won't be any talk about non-revving cranks or loss of torque due to lightened flywheels, but thanks for rocking up 9months later to explain how you machine flywheels differently, that's interesting, although I'm curious to know just how much difference it makes, as most of the weight is in the outside of the flywheel and I know my lightened flywheel doesn't have much of that left.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline hotgolf1

• Just got here
« Reply #2778 on: 04 April 2013, 07:41 »
Morning D/H,
Please don't think I've jumped on here 9 months later to stir a hornets nest, but just to put forward my reasons for what I've done.
I'm actually more than willing to sit down over a few pints in May when I come down for my Stag weekend. I can bring a pair of flywheels in different guises for you to look at and also bring my jig so you can see the difference removing weight fro different areas makes. If you can't wait my bro lives on Leeson Rd Ventnor and I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to talk you through the principles of inertia,dynamics and centrafugal forces on given rotational masses at different speeds. (he can send me to sleep on this so be fore-warned lol)
Mass can be removed from several areas of a flywheel, and there's alot that can be removed from within the area between the dowels and the casting numbers. Yes, more weight can be removed farther out to better effect but if you want to retain inertia but lose rotation mass you can remove from different area to gain the desired affect.
I'm not machining any differently to anyone else, I just remove from different areas, or amounts depending on the application.
My own 02a weights less than 4.75kg as it's hitting 8400rpm on a 2.1 16v, but I'd recommend 5.5-5.7ish for a turbo application. Horses for courses as they say.

I'm not going to say 'I've been doing this for 18 years ' blah blah blah, but I have gained experience from both asking questions and doing it myself through trail and error and gained enough recognition whist doing it. I have never had one go bang as I err on the side of caution but I have made errors, like machining straight through a dual mass flywheel internal spring! Lesson learnt lol

As for you Brad, get to some rolling road days and show it off mun ;)

« Last Edit: 04 April 2013, 08:49 by hotgolf1 »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2779 on: 04 April 2013, 12:58 »
Cheers Martin, top work by this man folks..  did a excellent job rebuilding my gearbox and fitting my Wavetrack Limited Slip diff and also the different FD, and Flywheel modification

I dont get much time on here recently due to my club events that are taking most of my life up right now, that combined with actually having a life outsife of this forum and the few Numptys that spoil it

The car was never made to be a Track car or drag strip car, however i know what damage it can do/has done..

It is currently used every day as my daily driver.
granted wont be the best on a track compaired to stuff like Evos etc, but TBH if i was to make a track car id most probabably not be chooing a ancient VW Golf  :grin:

In a straight line it easily out powers cars such as Impretza STI''s, Evos, Audi R8, remapped VXR astras, 535d,etc, maybe hard for some to believe a old 8v 5 door boat can do this but I'm not that arsed if you do or don't, it all adds to the fun :laugh:

The car was built to show what myself and Ben can do, and thats all.

Next up is a new MAF and then custom mapping

Love it or hate it, the car is a beast, and was built to a high standard.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2013, 13:06 by F17BAD »

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/