Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 427066 times)

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
Re: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« Reply #1470 on: 27 June 2011, 23:07 »
Why don't you raise the engine a touch too for extra safety?

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #1471 on: 27 June 2011, 23:16 »
cant mate no room for that or the engine will touch the underside of the bonnet.. i think the sump would be ok standard tbh, im just thinking for the extra peace of mind the shallow sump will give the car enough.. either that or get a metal plate welded on  :undecided:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1472 on: 27 June 2011, 23:34 »
cant mate no room for that or the engine will touch the underside of the bonnet.. i think the sump would be ok standard tbh, im just thinking for the extra peace of mind the shallow sump will give the car enough.. either that or get a metal plate welded on  :undecided:

Get a sump guard, I am still not keen on the shallow sump as you end up running a lot less oil and on a engine like that to me it needs all the oil it can get.

:smiley:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #1473 on: 27 June 2011, 23:37 »

Get a sump guard, I am still not keen on the shallow sump as you end up running a lot less oil and on a engine like that to me it needs all the oil it can get.

:smiley:

Yeah i think same as you... i think a nice fat bit of metal would give me peace of mind... maybe source a new standard sump and have some modifications done  :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #1474 on: 28 June 2011, 00:03 »
What about a dry sump? Or a shallow sump and just put a big oil cooler in for that extra oil.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #1475 on: 28 June 2011, 09:04 »
ill have to have a think about it, might just modify a genuine sump with some protection  :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #1476 on: 28 June 2011, 10:08 »
I wouldn't dry sump it. Big oil cooler would work nicely though

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #1477 on: 28 June 2011, 10:32 »
decisions decisions

Going to replace Timing belt and the water pump first anyhow. Hit 40k miles and i have no record of the pump been changed and these are notorious for failing, im sure yesterday i started to hear the pump making noises (or am i been paranoid  :laugh:).
Either way im getting it replaced so may aswell do timing belt at same time (Audi state 120k to change it)

Genuine kit is 95 quid plus vat for the timing belt kit and 33 quid for the water pump (exchange) but im gonna source one else where because Audi only supply items with  the crap plastic impeller now and this is where the problems lie

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Misky

• Here all the time
  • MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!
« Reply #1478 on: 28 June 2011, 10:34 »
If you mod a standard sump by adding a plate/gaurd, you are increasing the depth, therefore you are also increasing the likelyhood of it hitting more.

I would use a shallow sump & a mocal oil cooler in a discrete place. to keep that fresh OEM look.  :cool:
MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #1479 on: 28 June 2011, 10:35 »
If its like the VW water pump then its been revised with a stronger plastic and design

When I had the water pump done on the golf I asked if it was metal or plastic and got told the above  :smiley: