Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 382942 times)

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #2270 on: 18 July 2014, 16:59 »
Glad to hear it.I wish that I knew you could get decent discounts from orange wheels etc.. when I got mine 3 years ago,£30,000 for an ex demo,it's a cracking car but I could have had a new one for less.
I can't wait when the time comes after a test drive at dealers to confront them with a big discount quote to see if they can beat it.
An R for me next also.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2014, 18:22 by AndyG »
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2271 on: 18 July 2014, 20:56 »
Just had a chat with a dealer about a Mk7 R and I was very very pleased with the figures! Time for some serious decision making  :evil:

Obbzi, did you happen to ask the dealer about Dynaudio availability?  Last I heard it had shifted to BW45.  Looking to order next spring (possibly earlier) and hoping it's available by then.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #2272 on: 18 July 2014, 23:59 »
Just had a chat with a dealer about a Mk7 R and I was very very pleased with the figures! Time for some serious decision making  :evil:

Obbzi, did you happen to ask the dealer about Dynaudio availability?  Last I heard it had shifted to BW45.  Looking to order next spring (possibly earlier) and hoping it's available by then.

They never mentioned about the Dynaudio, I only wanted a few things (leather, DSG, upgraded sat nav) but the car they have has all sorts, very very high spec car  :cool:

I still need to shop around and I think I am coming round to the idea of the PCP (lease thing or what ever it is called)

Was wondering if many people on here buy their cars that way now?
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2273 on: 19 July 2014, 09:00 »

I still need to shop around and I think I am coming round to the idea of the PCP (lease thing or what ever it is called)

When I bought my Passat, the salesman told me it was most unusual for someone to hand over a debit card, take the keys and drive off. Most of their sales are PCP financed. Whilst they may be affordable in terms of low deposits and monthly payments, they are ultimately more expensive. You pay the money back at a slower rate, therefore more of the debt is outstanding which interest is charged on.

Having been in the trade, I am also aware how easy it is for the salesman to sell add on such as Lifeshine, Gap, wheel and tyre insurance etc. "It's only and extra £x a month Sir." Many, many unsavy customers will be caught up in the whole excitement of ordering a new car, that they don't look at the bigger picture.

I'm not saying that people on here are that gullible, but it does pay to do your sums carefully and make sure that you get the absolute best deal for you.

What I don't like about PCPs is the amount of outstanding money still owing at the end of the term. You are forced to make a decision about what to do with the car. If you want to keep it, you have a considerable amount of money to find. Hand it back, that leaves you with nothing to show for three years of monthly payments, or roll it over into a new car, meaning you have to borrow yet more money and will be back in the same position in another 3 years time.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2274 on: 19 July 2014, 09:21 »
Well put, thats what most people with new cars are doing now. After 3 years they hand it back and start again.
So basically they pay more or less the same out every month for life for cars and get a new one every ~3 years.
Which if it was a house would be classed as renting... :grin:
Were as 10 years ago or more there was a bit of status and it probably got the neighbours chin wagging of someone having a new car, if you weren't a rep its completely meaningless now.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2275 on: 19 July 2014, 10:17 »
Agree that with PCP being such a common financing route now, the 'status symbol' era is long gone.  Not sure I'd consider an R a status symbol anyway, such is its understated look, apart from those 'in the know', most think it's a normal golf  :grin:

I still don't like the idea of essentially renting a car, which, as said, is what PCP really is.  Apart from all the points dubber and snoopy rightly make, I don't think I would care about the car as much as I do with outright ownership.  That matters to me and is why I always have and will again pay cash.

However, penty in the mk7 section have done PCP, so worth getting their opinions and advice.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #2276 on: 19 July 2014, 13:12 »

When I bought my Passat, the salesman told me it was most unusual for someone to hand over a debit card, take the keys and drive off. Most of their sales are PCP financed. Whilst they may be affordable in terms of low deposits and monthly payments, they are ultimately more expensive. You pay the money back at a slower rate, therefore more of the debt is outstanding which interest is charged on.

Having been in the trade, I am also aware how easy it is for the salesman to sell add on such as Lifeshine, Gap, wheel and tyre insurance etc. "It's only and extra £x a month Sir." Many, many unsavy customers will be caught up in the whole excitement of ordering a new car, that they don't look at the bigger picture.

I'm not saying that people on here are that gullible, but it does pay to do your sums carefully and make sure that you get the absolute best deal for you.

What I don't like about PCPs is the amount of outstanding money still owing at the end of the term. You are forced to make a decision about what to do with the car. If you want to keep it, you have a considerable amount of money to find. Hand it back, that leaves you with nothing to show for three years of monthly payments, or roll it over into a new car, meaning you have to borrow yet more money and will be back in the same position in another 3 years time.

I've bought my last two cars on PCP. I get car allowance from work which covers the monthly payments. I just had to save up for a deposit. I know it's not the most financially savvy way of buying a car, but at the end of he day it makes a nice car affordable for most.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2277 on: 19 July 2014, 15:05 »
I was just adding up figures the other day and posted this same table in the Mk7 section on how it is actually cheaper to finance an R on a PCP than a GTI at present.
No wonder there are so many of them going around.

Deposit £5000

OTR  £26,330    £29,900   £25,765

Term      GTI         R         GTD
x18       £482      £376      £406
x24       £382      £310      £326
x30       £360      £322      £318
x36       £338      £316      £298
x42       £322      £318      £295
x48       £307      £310      £282
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

MonkeyP

« Reply #2278 on: 20 July 2014, 11:33 »
Obbzi, regarding figures on an R,what discounts are you being offered.10% at least I hope.

The car I am interested in is a very high spec car, more than I wanted and the discount was way over 10%  :shocked:

Which dealer has offered you that.

Just found an ex demo with 15% off but was half a day too late to buy it.  :angry:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2279 on: 20 July 2014, 12:40 »
Is that 15% off the list price of a new one tho'?

Ex demos are still used cars, and considering that the VAT is wiped out the second the a car is registered, I'd be after a better deal than that. I think 15% off the ex VAT list price would be more like it. The dealer would still have a fair chunk left, and could make a bit more on the finance commission (if someone were to pay that way) and other add on's that they like to hide in the deal. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.