Author Topic: schrick manifold?  (Read 10777 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: schrick manifold?
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2011, 16:07 »
mmm my fav to.  :rolleyes:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2011, 16:12 »
wow cheers wherry! so it's a no brainer to get the manifold if you want more hp. Thanks for that!

If you buy that looking for BHP, you will have wasted your money.
You get midrange torque...bit peak power.
You may find 5BHP max up top...but 30-50 lb-ft midrange is possible.

Wayne I don't really want to go down that route so I guess 220 will have to be enough. I've looked into it and the cost went over £5000 on just a few items lol so I'm staying NA

Entirely possible with headwork and bolt ons.

Out of interest do you know what he did to get that figure?

My old engine is now in a mates Mk3 track car, making 220+ BHP and 200+ lb-ft.
It’s a 2.9 VR6, big valve fully re-worked head (+3mm in, +2mm ex), titanium retainers, lightweight lifters, Schrick 268 cams, Schrick VSR, ported 2.9 TB, ported exhaust manifolds and downpipes (standard, but ported), ARP bolts…mapped by Stealth, and revving to 7500 RPM, with a light flywheel, VR6  O2A ‘box, Quaife diff and 3.67 FD.
I’d hate to add up the cost of that lot…but I doubt there is much change from £6000.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2011, 16:32 »
wow cheers wherry! so it's a no brainer to get the manifold if you want more hp. Thanks for that!

If you buy that looking for BHP, you will have wasted your money.
You get midrange torque...bit peak power.
You may find 5BHP max up top...but 30-50 lb-ft midrange is possible.

Wayne I don't really want to go down that route so I guess 220 will have to be enough. I've looked into it and the cost went over £5000 on just a few items lol so I'm staying NA

Entirely possible with headwork and bolt ons.

Out of interest do you know what he did to get that figure?

My old engine is now in a mates Mk3 track car, making 220+ BHP and 200+ lb-ft.
It’s a 2.9 VR6, big valve fully re-worked head (+3mm in, +2mm ex), titanium retainers, lightweight lifters, Schrick 268 cams, Schrick VSR, ported 2.9 TB, ported exhaust manifolds and downpipes (standard, but ported), ARP bolts…mapped by Stealth, and revving to 7500 RPM, with a light flywheel, VR6  O2A ‘box, Quaife diff and 3.67 FD.
I’d hate to add up the cost of that lot…but I doubt there is much change from £6000.

Cheers for all that. So you think the manifold ain't worth it? surely your engine would have made more with it?
for £6000 and 220bhp I would rather get a 1.8t engine but I just love the sound of the vr. So maybe just a standard rebuild is it then lol

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2011, 16:41 »
Holy Jesus how much is that manifold!?!?!?!

For that money I'd rather buy a supercharger or a turbo and whack it on low boost! And for little more I suspect you could upgrade a few parts and run more boost.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2011, 16:44 »
Cheers for all that. So you think the manifold ain't worth it? surely your engine would have made more with it?

Another mate fitted one to his Corrado...picked up a few BHP top end...but a huge torque gain midrange.
You don't buy a VSR for top end power...you buy it for mid range..and from that point of view, it's worth every penny.
It really is brilliant...

Add 268 cams, and you get gains everywhere...lots of top end, lots of midrange.
Win, win.

A 220 BHP VR6 will murder a 220 BHP 1.8T all day long...it's more linear for a start, easier to drive on, and won't heat soak like a mo-fo...so at the end of the day, it'll still be making 220 BHP where the 1.8T will be down near 180 after 1 hours worth of thrashing.

I watched my mates VR6 keep up with a Porsche 996 C4S from 40 to about 140 MPH...I know because it was my 996, I was driving, and I was gobsmacked. OK his Mk3 is very light...but hell, that engine is MENTAL. It pulls ike a freight train...and sounds incredible.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2011, 16:45 »
Holy Jesus how much is that manifold!?!?!?!

For that money I'd rather buy a supercharger or a turbo and whack it on low boost! And for little more I suspect you could upgrade a few parts and run more boost.

You could...but it's not as nice to drive...and any form of FI adds heat, which the VR6 has enough of!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2011, 16:47 »
Very true, but value is definitely not included when buying this manifold I think. £1200 is a lot! That'll get you a P&P head and cams, possibly more too!

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2011, 18:04 »
cheers ess three  :smiley: you are helping me with my decisions a lot.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2011, 18:19 »

That's a pretty engine bay  :drool: It's making me want a VR6 rado  :undecided:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3