Author Topic: Coolant usage?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Glen

• Here all the time
Coolant usage?
« on: 04 August 2003, 00:01 »
My 8 valve seems to be using a little bit of coolant, now i read the manual and it says it shouldnt use any but in 2,500 miles its dropped from max to just under the minimum level, there doesnt seem to be any leaks as i would see the red staining (right?) so as the car has done 78K i wondered if it was just an aging problem, anybody got any ideas?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:Coolant usage?
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2003, 23:59 »
I've seen some worrying posts in the past about using radweld. I have used it in the past without any problems, but I have seen some posts where people have blamed it for clogging up coolant lines etc.
More recently I have been spending time and money on trying to eliminate all leaks..........I sometimes think I am fighting a losing battle. It was fine all the while I was using water and normal ethylene glycol antifreeze. Now that I'm using this red cap inhibiter/antifreeze, my coolant system seems to be developing leaks all over the place.............water pump, head gasket, heater matrix etc. I guess this stuff lowers the viscocity somewhat, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm getting there, but slowly and with some expense.  :(

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2003, 16:18 »
That's the stuff, I'm not the only one then.

All my leaks appear,  :-\,  to be sorted now. The head gasket was a worry..........it just seemed to be coming out of the side between the head and the block, not much, but enough to worry me. I check tightened the cylinder head bolts, they seemed OK, but it does appear to have stopped now, for no apparent reason. Saying that, I haven't run the car since so I think I better take it out for a spin this week before  I take on the journey to Whitenoise in Norwich.........quite a trek for me.

Offline Glen

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2003, 23:55 »
Blimey a leak epedemic, I cant see any though on my car but i guess there could be one so ill just keep an eye on it