Author Topic: Car wouldn't start [NEW RELAY QUESTION]  (Read 19093 times)

Offline houston

• I live here
Re: Car wouldn't start
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2010, 13:18 »
i had the same prob more or less on my old 306, the drain plug underneath had become blocked with leaves (do you park underneath trees?) so it just filled like a little pool, check to see if theres any drain points underneath your white box

was it raining last time it wouldnt start?

does sound like an elec prob tho, do you have a spare key that you can try next time it doesnt start so you can rule out the immobilser?

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2010, 13:52 »
...do you have a spare key that you can try next time it doesnt start so you can rule out the immobilser?

Immobiliser would throw up a warning on the computer though wouldn't it?

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2010, 13:53 »
as above, sounds like the drain holes and pipes for the bulk head are blocked, this is causing water build up. this is turn could mean getting water inside the car and under the carpets.

Damage wise may be worth replacing the relays but as for the curcuit board i would dry it for a while with a hair dryer and apply some wd40 to prevent rusting of the terminals and leave to evaporate. then put the relays in.

Im not sure where the drainage holes/pipes run on the car but if you take the scuttle panel off around the wipers then you will see them hopefully. Water will get in as there is no water tight seal, but it normally drains straight out.

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

Offline houston

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2010, 14:32 »
...do you have a spare key that you can try next time it doesnt start so you can rule out the immobilser?

unsure how much the vag logs, i know pugs aint that advanced tho, thats why i spent ££££s before findin the ecu had lost the code

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2010, 14:37 »

unsure how much the vag logs, i know pugs aint that advanced tho, thats why i spent ££££s before findin the ecu had lost the code

I know in mine if the immobiliser kicks, the screen on the display area on the clocks (where it shows mpg, avg speed etc..) beeps and shows "immob" or something. Mine did this when the battery in my key was starting to run low. So i am pretty sure you can rule the immobiliser out (unless it is faulting further down the line?)

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
  • The black Money PIT - TDi ARG MONSTER! lol
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2010, 15:03 »
i had the same prob more or less on my old 306, the drain plug underneath had become blocked with leaves (do you park underneath trees?) so it just filled like a little pool, check to see if theres any drain points underneath your white box

was it raining last time it wouldnt start?

does sound like an elec prob tho, do you have a spare key that you can try next time it doesnt start so you can rule out the immobilser?

i had this problem with my Clio French CRAP :evil: lol flooded the relays under the bonnet next to the engine fueses.

was so bad ended up changing it. hope dont have to with this.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2010, 15:06 by godsANGER »

Repairs Since 12/09 = £1860.00  *  Follow me on INSTAGRAM = w_all_ace
! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2010, 15:39 »
as above, sounds like the drain holes and pipes for the bulk head are blocked, this is causing water build up. this is turn could mean getting water inside the car and under the carpets.

Damage wise may be worth replacing the relays but as for the curcuit board i would dry it for a while with a hair dryer and apply some wd40 to prevent rusting of the terminals and leave to evaporate. then put the relays in.

Im not sure where the drainage holes/pipes run on the car but if you take the scuttle panel off around the wipers then you will see them hopefully. Water will get in as there is no water tight seal, but it normally drains straight out.

How much are the relays?

The drain holes were half blocked which didn't help.

! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2010, 21:05 »
I am at the end of my tether now , finished work today and the car wouldn't start again, i getting FOOKED off with it now don't know if or when it wont start.

Any ideas ? really need some

got the guy from my garage coming to my work tomorrow to get it on the scanner to see if anything comes up, probably start 1st time like last time . .. .

! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2010, 21:48 »
I am at the end of my tether now , finished work today and the car wouldn't start again, i getting FOOKED off with it now don't know if or when it wont start.

got the guy from my garage coming to my work tomorrow to get it on the scanner to see if anything comes up, probably start 1st time like last time . .. .

Fuel pump relay  :undecided:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2010, 21:55 »

Fuel pump relay  :undecided:

How to fix it ? replace it.?.

and is it in the relay box under the wiper ?

! thePOORmansBUILD !