Author Topic: New to this section  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: New to this section
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2022, 17:21 »
The aircon service: If they run low on lubricant in the gas they can damage the pump.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2022, 11:59 »
The aircon service: If they run low on lubricant in the gas, they can damage the pump.

Car was just serviced, August at 57000 miles (presently 58,800 miles) with next service August 2023, likely 62,000 miles

The DSG change was at 51,000 miles, so is there a year-based recommendation as imagine it would have no more than 80,000 in next ten years based on use profile.

Air Con was 5 years ago, so definitely have that done at next service and oil change and likely have plugs and brake done also to really bring it up to everything up to date. 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2022, 18:49 »
Just spotted this thread and wow!  :cool:
What a great example of a mk6 and with Glendales too which are one of my all time favourite VW wheel designs.
Having had two mk6 GTI’s I’m a big fan of them, one being one of the first batch on an 09 in standard spec which I had fun retrofitting loads of parts to, and the second being an 11 plate with a huge spec as I’d run out of steam retrofitting things!

That’ll be a fantastic second car to keep in tip top condition which will give you heaps of pleasure.

My first mk6 had halogen lights to which I uprated the bulbs as I do a lot of nighttime driving and the second had factory xenons. I toyed with retrofitting xenons to my first but it had too early a control module and in the end I couldn’t be bothered with the expense and hassle of swapping the lot out. Honest opinion from me is the halogens were actually preferable as the xenons had too sharp a light cut off point on dipped beam meaning the area close to the car was super-illuminated and the area beyond was pitch black. The halogens had a more progressive light cut off which seemed more natural. I’m speaking from the experience of commuting 700 miles a week in darkness for three or four months during one of the darkest wettest winters in my 50 odd years (2012). The LED lights on the latest Golfs are so much better than the xenons but… the mk6 xenons do look so cool!
The relative simplicity (compared to the very latest Golfs) and solidity will stand them the test of time well.

A very good choice Hertsman and I look forward to reading continuing updates.

How does the older DSG feel after a few years with the 7 speed?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2022, 10:24 »
Just spotted this thread and wow!  :cool:
What a great example of a mk6 and with Glendales too which are one of my all time favourite VW wheel designs.
Having had two mk6 GTI’s I’m a big fan of them, one being one of the first batch on an 09 in standard spec which I had fun retrofitting loads of parts to, and the second being an 11 plate with a huge spec as I’d run out of steam retrofitting things!

That’ll be a fantastic second car to keep in tip top condition which will give you heaps of pleasure.

My first mk6 had halogen lights to which I uprated the bulbs as I do a lot of nighttime driving and the second had factory xenons. I toyed with retrofitting xenons to my first but it had too early a control module and in the end I couldn’t be bothered with the expense and hassle of swapping the lot out. Honest opinion from me is the halogens were actually preferable as the xenons had too sharp a light cut off point on dipped beam meaning the area close to the car was super-illuminated and the area beyond was pitch black. The halogens had a more progressive light cut off which seemed more natural. I’m speaking from the experience of commuting 700 miles a week in darkness for three or four months during one of the darkest wettest winters in my 50 odd years (2012). The LED lights on the latest Golfs are so much better than the xenons but… the mk6 xenons do look so cool!
The relative simplicity (compared to the very latest Golfs) and solidity will stand them the test of time well.

A very good choice Hertsman and I look forward to reading continuing updates.

How does the older DSG feel after a few years with the 7 speed?

Good Morning Sir

Decided not going to do any retrofitting, going to keep it just as is, and though Bi-Xenon look great and likely add something, the use profile and the effort and expense are just not worth it, and if it was such a must, I would have held out for next one up, but this car was so clean could not pass on it.

Having been out at night a few times already, the headlights are perfectly efficient, do not obviously give that Arc of light and magic tricks of the TCR, but they light the road perfectly well, and Carista added a little magic with cornering lights functionality via the fog lights, and work really, really well in the dark side street close to me.

Not investigated the bulbs, maybe the previous owner was well ahead of the game and has the best halogen in there, but is there any recommendation to what make and type of bulbs across the Main, Side, DRL and Fog, should be looking at for most optimised experience.

It might be a marmite thing, but do intend to put a gloss black wrap on the roof, think it will work really well with Glendale as the wheels.

Completely passed on the MK 6 model, never drove one, was over the fence in A3 Quattro, so from all the comments saw about the transformation of the MQB platform for the MK 7 series, was expecting a good element of stepping back in time, and that's just not happened, in fact there is elements prefer, such as the solid feel, you definitely notice to that as step from the TCR into the MK 6 GTI.

Not sure if this DSG is the 6 speed carried into my 63 plate GTD and 66 plate R, but all can say is that not count the 6 and 7 really and it just goes up and down as smoothly as the TCR seems to, great pull, smooth changes, and when in S, would say it was better profiled than the GTD and the R, which always hung onto the gears too long, this DSG holds on to gears just right in S. The TCR is perfect, the DSG 7 speed gearbox is sweet in its changes.

The amount of pull surprised me, expected a chasm to the TCR, but on normal roads, in bursts? its a comparable pull through to speed limit (or feels not far off)

Maybe part of the solid feel and new tyres, and adds to the solid, but its super smooth on the road, and another big surprise was expecting ride to be firm on the Glendale, and it maybe new tyres that help, but none of it, would say about normal setting on the TCR,.

The one big difference to the TCR is lightness and feel, the TCR has tons of it, whereas feel the MK 6 feels like the R, that weightiness.

The RNS510 would say is no worse than the 63, 66 GTD and R which both had the standard system and the GTD the low resolution screen, and its only the TCR that is a quantum leap beyond. Nav is decent and has latest maps and can bluetooth BBC Sounds and Deezer readily.

In summary, been a really pleasant surprise, and its a really enjoyable experience, to point wife has been driving off in TCR as asked her to leave me the MK 6 GTI to drive, which is obviously due to the new to us factor, but think it will endure.

As you can see the TCR after 9 months of we keeping/we not, is definitely going, we have saved £16000 stretch by profiling the second car usage to this MK 6 GTI, and head won over the heart, but the MK 6 is compensating way more than thought and looking forward to a run out to Caffeine and Machine to put it among the older cars there

the 128Ti arrives Dec 6th, so have some newness there also, with all the bells and whistles, and be interesting to see how BMW 'GTI' stacks up in comparison.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2022, 10:28 »
The Glendales do look nice but they are too reminiscent of the rotors which Audi used on so many of their models at one point. For me, the Monzas are iconic and suit the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI the best.

I agree about the Mk6 xenons, they look very cool and are rare but the actual beam isn't very good. My previous A3 8P with halogens provided better visibility.

Also agree about the relative simplicity of the Mk6 vs later models and the solidity. I've spent a fair bit of time inside the mk7 and mk8 and VW definitely cheapened out the interior build quality.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2022, 11:30 »
The Glendales do look nice but they are too reminiscent of the rotors which Audi used on so many of their models at one point. For me, the Monzas are iconic and suit the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI the best.

I agree about the Mk6 xenons, they look very cool and are rare but the actual beam isn't very good. My previous A3 8P with halogens provided better visibility.

Also agree about the relative simplicity of the Mk6 vs later models and the solidity. I've spent a fair bit of time inside the mk7 and mk8 and VW definitely cheapened out the interior build quality.

Never drove the MK 6 was was in 8P Quattro at that time, and from memory think my 07 headlights were not that good, and escapes me if there was a shy, something was upgraded, but the 2010 A3 Quattro never ever had you thinking to the lights as anything but competent.

This MK 6 GTI feels same, feels perfectly lit up and not as if peering into the dark. The TCR lights are ridiculous, with the brightness and automation, so they do show the leap that has been made.

There is a story behind the Glendale, as there was no MK 7 GTD in country when ordered in 2013, so wandered a few VW forecourts looking to see what bought, and in the showroom that day under lights was a Candy White MK 6 GTI on Glendale and it really had the wow factor and that obviously stuck with me  :smiley:

You are talking to Mr Signature, the R had to be Lapiz Blue and the TCR had to be just like it was shown at Worthsee, and the 128Ti that getting is completely signature, so totally get the Monza, and its just slight preference this time around, likely influenced by that showroom visit in 2013

You hear the narrative, so many say the same, but when not seen for self you still wonder if its some nostalgia talking, but but no doubt about it, the MK 6 was much more solidly built than MK 7 which is my experience and from all state on MK 8, its still slowly going the way of reduction in premium, though did see a performance pack MK 8 R (parked away miles from anyone else in car park  :grin:) and really grown on me in that guise.

When exchange a good car, basically on a whim, there is a period of doubt to if done right thing going back 18 months more to older car with higher mileage, but could not be happier, was always meh on wifes Audi A1 Black Edition, its steering quite sterile and though 185BHP, lot of twin turbo work to get it moving, whereas the GTI brings smile factor, looking completely past my TCR at the moment  :grin:
« Last Edit: 23 February 2023, 15:15 by Hertsman »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2022, 15:43 »
The 128 will remind you of how Golfs were rather than how Golfs have become with its solidity so will be a good partner to the mk6, an inspired choice of bedfellows.
At least with choosing the BMW above a current generation Golf you actually got a build date too, aside from 1.5 Taigos and T-Rocs VW don’t seem to be supplying much.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2022, 10:33 »
The 128 will remind you of how Golfs were rather than how Golfs have become with its solidity so will be a good partner to the mk6, an inspired choice of bedfellows.
At least with choosing the BMW above a current generation Golf you actually got a build date too, aside from 1.5 Taigos and T-Rocs VW don’t seem to be supplying much.

There are folk on the BabyBMW Forum who have still not received their 128Ti dating back till March 2021, but they hang on as deals they got were too good not to.

However, BMW have obviously restarted production of 128Ti and they are starting to come through now.

Ordered mine in April with an October 10th delivery date, that was moved to 6th December, and have just confirmed with BMW genius, that my  128Ti has gone into production, with a 28th delivery date to UK, and so that meets the 6th Dec delivery date to me.

So, personally had a couple of months additional wait, minor compared to others, and offset as was allowed to continue running the TCR till new car arrives.

Only went for a small amount of options, only the Parking Plus system was tech, so again personally unaffected, but adaptive headlights have been dropped off folks orders and not expected to return till way into next year, and the Hardon Karmon and HUD think have been sketchy in who receives and who does not.

With the new platform coming next year, this might end up being a limited run on the 128Ti, as doubt there be more than 2500 by time this model is done. They are also changing the media set up when new 1 series arrives late next year, to which the BMW is known to be one of its strengths, and from what understand from those who already have on higher models, its a step back

Definitely looking forward to some time in the BMW cabin, no doubt be saying they just a gimmick, but repeatedly playing with them ambient lights and remember you convinced me to order the heated steering wheel, so will see what all fuss is about  :smiley:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2022, 14:10 »
Come 6th December that heated steering wheel will become a heavenly experience every time the outside temperature drops into single figures!
I did see that the heated ‘wheel and matrix lights were removed from a lot of MINI and BMW vehicles either as standard or options so fingers crossed your car will arrive with everything you ordered. Nice warm toasty fingers at that 😁

The BMW interior doesn’t feel gimmicky, just intuitive and super-solid. It genuinely feels like a much more expensive car inside and the interior solidity is more than just a feeling when you see the amount of chassis bracing BMW have added. Much more like older mk4 - mk6 Golfs and earlier generation Audi A3’s than the current crop of smaller cars from VW group.

I wasn’t aware that the F40 1er was being replaced so soon. That’s a surprise to me as the car was only launched in 2019. I appreciate the MINI chassis it’s based on has been around a good while but the 1’er still looks fresh and the chassis is a good one. I’ll have to pop over to the F40 forum and read up on that a bit, I’ve not visited there for a couple years for obvious reasons. Having been pretty settled with my Clubsport I’ve really cut back on forum use generally for quite some time.

The 128 will be something nice to look forward to and then the mk6 can have a bit of a rest over the winter maybe to protect it from the salt.
And apologies mk6’ers for dragging this away from the subject.
Here’s a pic of my second mk6 as compensation  :laugh:

Not as pretty as a Candy White 3 door on Glendales which to my eyes is the perfect combo, but still a smart looking car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2022, 14:13 »

Not investigated the bulbs, maybe the previous owner was well ahead of the game and has the best halogen in there, but is there any recommendation to what make and type of bulbs across the Main, Side, DRL and Fog, should be looking at for most optimised experience.

Hi Hertsman, in my Mk6 I currently use Osram Night Breaker Laser (H7) for low beam. Osram Cool Blue Intense (H15) for high beam and Osram Cool Blue Intense for the parking lights (W5W).  Fog lamps are still the original VW ones - don't use my front fogs all that much.  I personally have found the Osrams fine for my commute on dark country roads and main A-roads.

When I was doing about 30k miles a year I'd find the Night Break Laser H7s would last about 12 months before they popped and needed replacing, same with the parking lights.

For the puddle lights on the door mirrors I replaced those W5W type (think they're W5W, was a while ago) with Philips X-tremeVision LED 6000K lamps. Though this does cause a error to show on a VCDS scan as the LEDs don't draw enough current, so the car thinks there is a fault in the door mirror's lamp circuit.  Doesn't cause an error on the dash though. 

Interior wise I have replaced all the interior VW lamps with Philips 6000K LED ones.  For the footwell lighting a quick tweak on VCDS to tell the car it has LED lights in the footwell, so not to bother monitoring those. Boot, cabin and glove box lights aren't monitored by the car (well not on my 2009 Mk6) so no VCDS sorcery required there.  Tried the OEM VW LED rear licence plate lights but they caused a light out error on the dash that I couldn't code out with VCDS.  Though as you have a 2012 model I expect you have LEDs already illuminating your rear number plate.  :grin:

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors