Author Topic: When life gives you lemons........? Help  (Read 30203 times)

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
  • Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining!
Re: When life gives you lemons........? Help
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2014, 12:41 »
You've already been given lots of good advice but most of it means spending money..

Whip the spark plugs out and look into the chamber of each gap - any liquid?
spark plugs in good condition?

I'll go and do that in 10 thanks :)

Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Head and turbo rebuild, jom coilovers, s200 induction, forge 007, anniversary body kit, 18" RS4 reps, Rtech remap stage1, turbo back stainless and miltek cat back

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2014, 13:37 »
You've already been given lots of good advice but most of it means spending money..

Whip the spark plugs out and look into the chamber of each gap - any liquid?
spark plugs in good condition?

I'll go and do that in 10 thanks :)

Done that mate, all plugs look okay and the chambers are all clear and dry, I did check the levels again and they were all fine but something strikes me as add? It had brand new fresh oil in it but the filter plugs and air filter were not changed? I did notice when I took the air filter out that the cone on the inside of the air box MAF was very oily and looks oily inside?

Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Head and turbo rebuild, jom coilovers, s200 induction, forge 007, anniversary body kit, 18" RS4 reps, Rtech remap stage1, turbo back stainless and miltek cat back

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2014, 13:39 »
You might have a dodgy temp sender causing it under or overfuel

Oil being replaced suggests something to hide

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2014, 13:41 »
Sounds like the guy knew the head gasket is on its way or has already gone and done a oil change & flush and filled it with new oil. Take it for a long drive and check the oil cap for mayo also i would get a sniffer test done on the coolant. Also i would touch the inside of the coolant bottle above the water for some mayo type
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2014, 13:42 »
Or it could be the breather system badly blocked up and the guy thought the head gasket has gone.
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 21 March 2014, 13:45 »
You might have a dodgy temp sender causing it under or overfuel

Oil being replaced suggests something to hide

The temp sensor is lazy and I have ordered new temp sensor and thermostat but it can't under or over fuel as it passed mot emissions this morning?
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 21 March 2014, 13:48 »
Sounds like the guy knew the head gasket is on its way or has already gone and done a oil change & flush and filled it with new oil. Take it for a long drive and check the oil cap for mayo also i would get a sniffer test done on the coolant. Also i would touch the inside of the coolant bottle above the water for some mayo type

It's done about 150 miles on that oil and there is no suggestion "yet" that there is a head gasket issue as no mayo, coolant is ok although the oil change without plugs and filters does concern me.

One mechanic said it smells of oil out the exhaust yet it's not burnt any so far, not that's visible on the dipstick anyway?

Can't get a comp test anywhere until late last week and I don't know if I do someone won't just say it's the head to rip me off! I still got a co*k up my arse from yesterday so don't want to get screwed anymore :(
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 21 March 2014, 13:54 »
If the head was loosing water than the water lever would drop right? 150 miles and it's still the same?
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 21 March 2014, 16:17 »
yes it would show a drop in coolant
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #29 on: 21 March 2014, 16:23 »
Listen before you go spending money on things you aint sure off please run a diagnostic on the car. If you was close to me in bham i would do it for you and check everything out fully.
*****MK4 GTI T*****