Author Topic: any one know out about diesels?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Glen

• Here all the time
Re:any one know out about diesels?
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2003, 01:00 »
Jeez 15inches I was only jokin chap! as I'm sure Clarkson was when he said it!
Thats the problem with peoples sense of humour not everybody is tuned to the same wavelength!!!
Dont be so defensive I'm a nice bloke really!! ;D
Oh and the 8valva sounds mint! Lighten up!

Offline bigkev750

• Not said much yet
Re:any one know out about diesels?
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2003, 01:09 »
if your engine has only been stopped for an hour or so it shouldnt need glow plugs(whats your mileage/engine condition)but it sounds like your glow relay/timer ???

Offline DieselMonkey

• Just got here
Your door could be the problem !!
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2003, 15:28 »
As you may know, when cold (engine temp below 60), the glow plugs will automatically come on as soon as the door is unlocked and opened (although no light comes on the dash)..... this feature is only on the TD and TDi's, not simply D... but should be on your TD.

So check the wiring that concerns this feature. Other than this, the plugs wont come on if the engine is up to temperature, so if it wont start in this instance i would suspect an injection problem.... when cold the inj. pump has a cold start boost device as well as the plugs to aid starting. So it could be this as well, depending on its age, this device is operated automatically by a sensor but pulled / released by a seloniod at the back of the pump, just above glow plug no. 1...... check this also. If the engine has 100K +, pull the injectors and have them tested.

It might start ok in cold because the heater plugs help starting (if an injector problem), but when warmed up and they dont come on, injection pressure alone might not be enough to start.. this would be a problem with the injectors, not electrics at all.

If there is an injector leaking, i.e, wetting the cylinder - only dribbling the fuel in and not cracking to the correct pressure then there would be a bit of black smoke on acceleration and your oil would degrade sooner. Would also cause carbon build up on the cylinder head and piston tops quickly. If this has occured, fix injectors (?100 max for 4 Bosch inj.) and then add Millers Diesel power plus to the fuel system to help remove some of the carbon build up.

Check these things and let me know what you discover. ;)