Author Topic: New Mk8 GTI owner  (Read 1578 times)

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
New Mk8 GTI owner
« on: 30 August 2023, 09:00 »
Morning all,

Well, nearly 40 years after a trip to a local cricket match in a friends Mk1 red GTI, I finally bit the bullet and bought my own - a Mk8 in white.  I’m the 2nd owner.

I’m only 10 days into ownership and already encountered software issues and the dreaded bong from something not working - Perhaps I should have visited this forum before buying 🤔😁

The dealer fitted brand new (but unbranded tyres), so looking for replacement recommendations - although I usually go Michelin PS4/5 or Goodyear ASYM.

Other issues encountered so far are as follows:

Climate control not remembering previous setting - although this seems to have resolved itself and it now only doesn’t remember the ‘sync’ setting?

A message every time I start the car saying ‘changing user settings’, this disappears after about a minute.

When unlocking the car the other night (as the main user) all functions/settings were disabled, and I received an email to tell me. After about 5 minutes they all came back.  VW customer service says the car thought I was a guest driver 🤷‍♂️

Driving to work yesterday (in the rain) the car continually bonged, disabling and re-enabling Travel Assist and SOS calling.  This worked perfectly in the dry on the way home?

Anyway, other than these issues the car has been fantastic to drive.  Hopefully 🤞, the other issues will be resolved - hopefully………

Cheers
Gavin

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: New Mk8 GTI owner
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2023, 21:41 »
Welcome Gavin  :smiley:

And welcome to mk8 weirdness!
They do some odd things, most will settle down as the car learns, there are probably OTA software downloads going on in the background that will confuse the car’s memory in random settings.

The SOS faults need reporting to a dealer so they can log the faults and start the process that invariably ends up with a new steering wheel.
Rain, mist and dew do cause the warning systems go flash up error messages spuriously, just wait until the colder weather returns when it really gets going!

Oh, and your tyre choices are all good ones, you can’t go far wrong with any of those suggestions.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2023, 09:22 »
Thanks.

Seems I should have researched my car choice a bit better  :grin:

I’ve already had a few emails back and forth with VW customer services, but despite asking several times, they have not confirmed what the latest software my car should be running - currently 1803.

I’m going to call my local VW branch this morning to get it booked in.  Mainly for a software update and to log the TA and SOS warnings.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2023, 22:19 »
What year & month was your car registered Gavin?

Mine was relatively fine for two years until I had 1896 installed at the second service. Then it went nuts. You’ve seen my rather long running thread. It’s been all quiet bong wise over the summer for me so I’ll see how things develop as the weather gets cooler.

Your software is a bit older than mine so your dealer will update it to the latest. They might want the car overnight. Following that, the more recent versions have been over the air updates.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2023, 09:01 »
Year and month I would assume (not sure how I find out for certain) is May 2021, as May 2024 is when the manufacturer warranty runs out.

The car is now booked into my local VW dealer on September 25th to be looked at.  I have also asked them to update the software to the latest available version.

I’m also going to get the soundaktor coded off.  Not sure if it’s easier to find someone local to do it or invest in an OBDEleven?

Cheers

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2023, 22:09 »
Yes, May 2021 sounds right then. I wondered as some of the very recent cars seem to be bong free. We’ll have to assume they have different hardware to go with the revised software.

OBDeleven would be a really good investment for you. You’d be able to switch off the annoying Soundaktor and lane assist permanently plus keep an eye on fault codes generated by the travel and SOS assist.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner