Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245721 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1230 on: 27 January 2020, 21:05 »
err yes it does Fred. In comfort the suspension is softer and you feel the body roll, in sport the suspension is stiffer with less body roll than normal mode. Not sure what you mean by its dynamic and doesn't affect the ride of the car?
[/quote]

It doesn't actually effect the performance of the car because its the dynamic - you just set the initial preload (or something)... which is why when Top Gear thrashed one with the Stig, the lap times were identical.

If it was a simple overall firmness, the softer ride would have resulted in different performance....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1231 on: 27 January 2020, 21:33 »
It was left in comfort suspension mode so it rode the curbs better, same as the clubsport s ring record car. It does change the driving dynamics of the car though but just because it has a sport mode doesn't make it faster, so from that aspect you're right.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1232 on: 28 January 2020, 10:13 »
Isn't the TCR lower and stiffer than the GTI PP and would therefore surely ride a bit harsher?

Having driven a GTD with DCC for 3 years, then an R on DCC for 3 years, can confirm my present TCR is definitely no firmer than some reports seemed to indicate (quite a few reports, what car being one, that said ride was really compliant and good) - my understanding is that the TCR is a further 5 mm lower than GTI PP and the DCC has some software tweaks unique to the TCR (Its the same DCC tech as all the rest)

But forget all of that, the experience is that the TCR rides without any crashing at all in all of the modes and personally find comfort a little too bouncy and cossetted and my main setting is the normal in the Individual menu - But I have placed it in Sport many times, and its nice firm and flat as you would hope but even then bumps are not intrusive, its more the car jiggles on them than any feeling of crash

When carried a full car over Christmas the Comfort setting made the moving around of 5 adults (2 x elderly) a comfortable experience for all, with not even a whisper to any inconvenience felt

Imagine its quite firm on the standard non DCC set up, but there is no such thing as ruined ride on the MK 7 series

With 19" rims like I have in the Reifnitz and previously the R I would always select the DCC - personally feel its a great piece of tech that gives you noticeably difference experiences.

But as say to everyone, do not take my word, when spending the money we do on these cars, go to dealer and test drive one and see how feel for yourselves.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1233 on: 28 January 2020, 11:30 »
It was left in comfort suspension mode so it rode the curbs better, same as the clubsport s ring record car. It does change the driving dynamics of the car though but just because it has a sport mode doesn't make it faster, so from that aspect you're right.

No its truly dynamic, the bump and rebound rates are adjusted in real time on a per wheel basis (unlike previous incarnations that were per axle or not even dynamic at all) based on an array of sensors on the vehicle.

The range of adjustment it runs is set by the profile, but its perfectly possible to hold any given corner speed pretty much equally in comfort (wide profile) or sport (narrow profile), in fact if anything, there are advantages of softer suspension unless you are relying on ride height/aero (like a F1 car does) - DCC is still a relatively subtle adjustment, in comfort you still aren't going to bottom out on the road.

The absolute details are in here:

http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

It's main function is to give the driver the *feel* of harder or softer suspension without compromising safety or even road performance.

As such its a fop much like the soundaktor or even a different throttle mapping. Its about your driver experience.

This is a road car we are talking about, they aren't going to give you anything truly crazy or actual race performance boosting.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1234 on: 28 January 2020, 12:47 »

No its truly dynamic, the bump and rebound rates are adjusted in real time on a per wheel basis (unlike previous incarnations that were per axle or not even dynamic at all) based on an array of sensors on the vehicle.

The range of adjustment it runs is set by the profile, but its perfectly possible to hold any given corner speed pretty much equally in comfort (wide profile) or sport (narrow profile), in fact if anything, there are advantages of softer suspension unless you are relying on ride height/aero (like a F1 car does) - DCC is still a relatively subtle adjustment, in comfort you still aren't going to bottom out on the road.

http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

It's main function is to give the driver the *feel* of harder or softer suspension without compromising safety or even road performance.

As such its a fop much like the soundaktor or even a different throttle mapping. Its about your driver experience.

This is a road car we are talking about, they aren't going to give you anything truly crazy or actual race performance boosting.

The  Scirocco that drove on the previous MWB platform had the version 1 DCC passive tech and it was all a little meh really, a little softer maybe when in comfort, but nothing that you really appreciated as making a huge difference, however the version 2 DCC on the new MQB platform is dynamic and as you rightly state adjust independently to the road - the version 2 tech is night and day to the version 1 tech.

From my post above, had to transport 5 adults to relatives over Christmas, my TCR converted itself to a standard Golf and did that job superbly, pressing comfort for Miss Daisy mode, soft steering, ride, gears and sound - next day, went out for a cross country trip to bring some presents back from other relatives on own, and some smiles were had as stayed in Sport throughout.

We all accept there is cars out there that have harder performance edges, but not many, if any would be any use to me for when doing the day to day
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1235 on: 28 January 2020, 14:03 »
The  Scirocco that drove on the previous MWB platform had the version 1 DCC passive tech and it was all a little meh really, a little softer maybe when in comfort, but nothing that you really appreciated as making a huge difference, however the version 2 DCC on the new MQB platform is dynamic and as you rightly state adjust independently to the road - the version 2 tech is night and day to the version 1 tech.

I don't know if the Mk8 is going to get the Mk 3 version the Passat (can have) that does things like pre-emptive adjustments for corners (GPS based) or speed bump detection... but that is all out there as Bosch modules ready for integration.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1236 on: 28 January 2020, 14:09 »
Oh and wasn't the Mk1 version "ACC" (confusing when you get to the Mk7 with automatic cruise control) - (probably) adaptable chasis control as opposed to Dynamic.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1237 on: 28 January 2020, 19:09 »

I already fully understand how the entire system works Fred 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1238 on: 28 January 2020, 20:18 »
I'd be interested in someone who isn't a car reviewer, but an actual Mk7.5 GTI owner to drive it and tell you the answer.

In fact, I think our friend Exonian has that knowledge... I'm sure he'll be along soon.

I’ve been following the thread with interest but trying not to bore everyone even further with my own experiences and opinions too often.

Obviously I can’t give financial advice on whether the TCR would make a sound purchase if someone already has a perfectly good mk7 or 7.5 because everyone is different and has different circumstances. Generally I’d advise against but that removes the emotion which is what these cars are about.
Just like some people like to try different cleaning products or tuning options I have ended up putting my money where my mouth is and tried out different versions of mk7 because that’s my one little long standing indulgence in life, and I find it easier to do a few small jumps than an occasional leap financially speaking.
However needs, uses and finances can vary massively over a period of time.

My experience of a mk7 GTI PP ended around May 2015 and my R parted company with me in December 2016 after I’d barely used it for four months. So any opinions of ride quality to compare directly are watered down by the mists of time, but I’m quite good at remembering specifics of cars unlike trying to remember relatives birthdays and such like which I can never manage.

I don’t know specific part numbers but I’d imagine the non DCC shares very very similar suspension components and settings to a non DCC Clubsport Ed40.
Therefore the same ride height as a regular GTI but slightly more performance tuned springs that are slightly knobblier in ride quality but give a real light footed athletic feel to handling.
To my uneducated eye I’d say the Reifnitz (and therefore likely the Pretoria) Pack TCR’s have some trick little bits up their sleeve akin to the Cupras that had the sports package or maybe even a few bits learned from the CSS development. On my car it definitely looks to be running a bit of negative camber that the Ed40 lacked, it definitely sits lower and in ‘Normal’ DCC mode it rides a fraction better over the worst irregularities, but being “dynamic” it tends to feel slightly inert and mushy at times in regular slowish driving yet transforms if you load it up a bit, and can be truly impressive if you take it by the scruff whilst not requiring illegal speeds to offer a very rewarding experience on the sort of roads GTI’s come into their own.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1239 on: 30 January 2020, 16:03 »
So today I've been back for a second look and a test drive of a 5 door Oryx white TCR. Even though the weather wasn't great and, considering it's on a main dealer forecourt, it's not really being presented as I would expect (it clearly hasn't had more than a cursory wash for some time), it still looked really good. Sounded good on start up, not as loud as I feared, and the Reifnitz really suit it (last time I saw it it was in a tight parking space so I couldn't stand back for a better view). The interior is great, especially with the extra light from the sunroof. Then we went out for a drive, as a passenger then driver. As a passenger it was very comfortable, rides very well and takes the bumps without crashing. Pulls well and goes through the gears quickly. First thing I noticed taking the wheel was how dead the go pedal was :rolleyes:, pulling out of junctions was a bit of a pain and you don't want to give an unfamiliar car a heavy boot so if I go for it I think my pedalbox will be coming with me. I've read others saying to put it in sport to get it going but surely you shouldn't have to bugger about with all that? 1 up to a manual.. DSG was great on the move though and it was nice being back in an auto. With my preference for a 3 door I didn't think I'd consider a 5 door but it did look good and there's the added practicality I suppose, so not too big an issue.

We did some figures including a trade in on mine and it's about where I expected. The big thing though was how I'd feel getting back in my own car, older and manual, I have to say it's still great! I prefer the simplicity of the dials and the textured black trim rather than the gloss black. In fairness I didn't give the TCR a workout but mine gets down the road pretty sharpish, probably helped by the pedalbox giving that lively feel, and the manual gear change is really good.

So, am I going to change? That's the £17k question... I'm going to sleep on it...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.