Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245722 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1210 on: 22 January 2020, 13:10 »
I collected mine at the weekend, tornado red with sunroof, Dynaudio, 19" Wheels and ahem the hexagonal graphics.
After being slow with ordering a factory build I settled on 90% of my options on a stock car, therefore the graphics (Wouldnt have been my choice) are staying for now to see if they grow on me, but are getting a few negative jokey comments.

I took advantage of the 0% finance on new and a 4k discount which swung it for me....Generally a pleasant experience with the dealership not so impressed with the level of clean of the car on collection. It had been in the showroom for a while so dusty in places inside and grey spots on the front that come off with a nail underneath so will need a claybar next wash.

It came included with the TCR lights under the doors that came up as a cost option on the configurator...Im 200 miles in and love it so far, feels sharp to turn in and the akrapovic exhaust already sounds like its getting louder, nice smooth gearbox. the digital dash seemed a little busy to start with but getting used to that now, the car just feels so right.

Sounds great, I'd love to see a few piccies! I was looking at a 19 plate Oryx with a similar spec but then I discovered it had been a VW press car and had been used for journo test drives including one video of it being raced around a track timed against a Megane! The killer though was it was clearly north of £40k new and I'm not prepared to pay the higher tax rate.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1211 on: 22 January 2020, 13:25 »
Lookers Walton have a grey 69 plate TCR for £21999...

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline turnipandchips

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1212 on: 22 January 2020, 13:28 »
I collected mine at the weekend, tornado red with sunroof, Dynaudio, 19" Wheels and ahem the hexagonal graphics.
After being slow with ordering a factory build I settled on 90% of my options on a stock car, therefore the graphics (Wouldnt have been my choice) are staying for now to see if they grow on me, but are getting a few negative jokey comments.

I took advantage of the 0% finance on new and a 4k discount which swung it for me....Generally a pleasant experience with the dealership not so impressed with the level of clean of the car on collection. It had been in the showroom for a while so dusty in places inside and grey spots on the front that come off with a nail underneath so will need a claybar next wash.

It came included with the TCR lights under the doors that came up as a cost option on the configurator...Im 200 miles in and love it so far, feels sharp to turn in and the akrapovic exhaust already sounds like its getting louder, nice smooth gearbox. the digital dash seemed a little busy to start with but getting used to that now, the car just feels so right.

Sounds great, I'd love to see a few piccies! I was looking at a 19 plate Oryx with a similar spec but then I discovered it had been a VW press car and had been used for journo test drives including one video of it being raced around a track timed against a Megane! The killer though was it was clearly north of £40k new and I'm not prepared to pay the higher tax rate.

Will try to get some photos after the next clean...
Funnily enough I enquired about the same Oynx white one as well but didn't offer much on my part exchange, At the time I was debating what actually would be better an ex demo or an ex press car...But with the deal I got on new with finance it made sense to buy new.
I looked at the options available on a factory build and it didn't take much to take it over 40K so though screw it lifes too short. I bought a nearly new Mk6 GTD a few years ago and jumped into the deal abit too quick and although I loved the car it annoyed me that it was a pretty basic spec, but everyone is different.
Tornado Red 2020 Golf TCR, Westfield with Vauxhall power!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1213 on: 22 January 2020, 14:14 »
Will try to get some photos after the next clean...
Funnily enough I enquired about the same Oynx white one as well but didn't offer much on my part exchange, At the time I was debating what actually would be better an ex demo or an ex press car...But with the deal I got on new with finance it made sense to buy new.
I looked at the options available on a factory build and it didn't take much to take it over 40K so though screw it lifes too short. I bought a nearly new Mk6 GTD a few years ago and jumped into the deal abit too quick and although I loved the car it annoyed me that it was a pretty basic spec, but everyone is different.

Around £30k is as much as I'm prepared to go to so new is out of the question for me. I looked at an Oryx at the weekend which although presented rather badly, is a good spec and tempting so I might get a test drive soon. I do love the TR but a metallic would be rather good too and the contrasts between the black trim and the white does look good.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline RJH GTi

• Just got here
« Reply #1214 on: 22 January 2020, 18:45 »
There's a 19 plate one listed at Listers for £28750
With 5k miles

https://listers.co.uk/used/cars/volkswagen/golf/2.0_tsi_290_gti_tcr/301924

Rob.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1215 on: 22 January 2020, 23:18 »
Just in case anyone is interested the Akrapovic exhaust on the TCR is rear section only as in resonator, rear mufflers and tail pipes. Downpipes stay stock. Had this confirmed by Akrapovic themselves. Not entirely sure if the exhaust is worth the extra money that VW have charged 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1216 on: 23 January 2020, 08:39 »
Just in case anyone is interested the Akrapovic exhaust on the TCR is rear section only as in resonator, rear mufflers and tail pipes. Downpipes stay stock. Had this confirmed by Akrapovic themselves. Not entirely sure if the exhaust is worth the extra money that VW have charged 🤷‍♂️

Without looking back through the posts of the time when MY 20 and prices were announced but think the lift was £2500 which took the TCR from lying between the standard GTI PP and the standard R to the most expensive Golf Performance - However if you did option the Akrapovic on the R for £3000 the gap would increase by £500

https://m.facebook.com/akrapovic/posts/10156962523547971 

This link indicates that the TCR exhaust was a bespoke unit for the TCR

Having the Akrapovic gives you the concept car that was unveiled at Worthsee which is quite a cool thing as the concept is rarely what you you get at sale, and also the exhaust does make some nice noises, a deep steady tone on the move, and some nice cracks and pops on changes and the overrun, and thats definitely increased over the 3000 miles

This is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUtiULmtAc

Not sure any exhaust is worth the retail price but it is what it is, but thats the plusses when you do send the money
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1217 on: 23 January 2020, 09:11 »

https://www.awesomegti.com/parts/akrapovic-slip-on-line-titanium-exhaust-system-vw-golf-mk7-gti/

Essentially, you are paying full price and a bit more although you do get the centre res section so perhaps it's about right. This one is £1700 for the GTI.

Whichever way you look at it, the Akrapovic is a serious piece of engineering excellence and is a nice addition to the TCR. Whether you think it's worth the money is up to the buyer. There's plenty of choice of used cars without the Akra so you can pay your money and take your pick.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1218 on: 23 January 2020, 14:44 »

Many, many moons ago I worked as a Development Engineer for Magnex and Micron exhausts and we got hold of one of the Akrapovic systems as at the time they were our main competition, just for testing purposes and to dismantle and see what they were up to..... I agree the Akrapovic systems are beautifully finished but besides the material costs, the use of a CNC mandrel bender and a welding plant and the big one of paying for the name you'd be amazed at how little is actually in those systems!! each box will contain a length of perforated tube and then packed with wire wool and you'd like me to pay how much for the system?!?!? :shocked:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1219 on: 26 January 2020, 22:50 »
So Today I had a 45 Minute test drive of a 5 door GTi TCR with DCC, I managed some dual carriageway a fair amount of Scottish A and B roads - car was on  19” Pirellis rather than Cups.

Here are my very subjective thoughts

What I liked

- The Performance, the car builds speed brilliantly and you can feel the albeit modest performance advantage over the Performance Pack.
- The brakes are really crisp, even allowing for the 8k difference between my own and the new TCR, for me these were the biggest performance difference.
- The Exhaust cracks on the overrun, I found the exhaust well judged other than at Motorway Speed where I did notice more of a drone.
- I liked the Pure Grey Paint, the front splitter and lip spoiler.
- I’d imagine the TCR would be a much better track car than the PP

What I didn’t like

- I couldn’t get a DCC setting  on the country roads that I really liked..and found I was switching modes a lot, why VW didn’t move it’s location for the RHD car?
- I missed the lack of Manual, although less than I did in the Std PP ( I’m not against autos the A110 is auto)
- The Matte Wing Mirrors - they just seem poorly executed particularly when in the drivers seat and don’t match the other gloss black accents.
- Seat Fabric Quality, the Colour is great but the fabric quality isn’t the best.

In summary if I didn’t have a Mk 7.5 GTi and at the current market prices I’d go for one as I think they are a great use everyday hot hatch, but I didn’t find enough of a difference to make me consider a swap just now.

« Last Edit: 26 January 2020, 23:02 by Zermatt »
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten