Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245741 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1180 on: 18 January 2020, 21:39 »

When you put it like that, I do feel a bit stupid, but...

We had a good look over the 5 door Oryx TCR today. It was sunny which showed off the colour to good effect, quite impressed and my OH liked it too. The black trim parts and wheels looked great against the white. I prefer the Oryx to Pure Grey, so TR or Oryx seem to be the favourites. The seats and cabin materials were as nice as I remembered but not 100% liking the gloss black dash panels and the digital dash but if I get one I'm sure I'll soon get used to it.

Being a 5 door was okay actually, I suppose the only thing I noticed from the inside was just how close the B pillar was and therefore a little in my field of vision but as a positive I can see it being much easier getting in and out of the car in a tight space plus with my elderly mum being less than nimble on her feet these days, she'll get in and out easier too.

So, very positive, I shall have another look through the ads and a ponder and consider booking a test drive :smiley:

I know it’s a massive purchase. But I think you’re overthinking it. My thoughts is that the TCR is a car you buy with your heart. It probably won’t make any financial sense against your existing car or even a new GTI Performance.

But if you want to own one, you just do it! Really feel like I’ll get one next in June. There will certainly be plenty to choose from that’s for sure!

But this ^^^. Thanks Jim, you're 100% right and well voiced, perhaps that's what I've been struggling with as there is no logical reason for changing. My man maths justification was doubtful at best :laugh: Still, my OH was sold on it, she was spot on in saying it had real presence, and I was impressed so I think I'm getting there :rolleyes:

Two recent scenarios that make me think that.

My boss just sold his 981 GT4. And replaced it with a brand new 600LT!

A mate just upgraded his 1199 Panigale to a V4 Speciale - £25k on a bike.

So when all said and done, a £30k 5 door hatch is probably fairly sensible   :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1181 on: 18 January 2020, 22:58 »
Two recent scenarios that make me think that.

My boss just sold his 981 GT4. And replaced it with a brand new 600LT!

A mate just upgraded his 1199 Panigale to a V4 Speciale - £25k on a bike.

So when all said and done, a £30k 5 door hatch is probably fairly sensible   :grin:

Their pockets do sound a bit more capacious than mine :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1182 on: 18 January 2020, 23:38 »
The red one looks nice Watts, ;)

Have you driven one yet?

I think the first thing is deciding if the Dsg box is for you, before you get creative with the man maths. :)

It’s my first owned car without a manual, but it’s a fantastic daily, love it. It’s also the fastest car I’ve owned, it can go faster than I can currently for sure.

That said, took my Corrado VR6 out today for the first time since October, despite all the faults it’s still as enjoyable as the tcr. Guess I like the old and new! The VR6 and Mk2 are no good in winter commute though, I’m not going back to the days of scraping ice from the inside of the windscreen 🤣
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1183 on: 18 January 2020, 23:53 »
Interesting to see your thoughts on the Oryx TCR, Watts.

I had a 3 door GTI before moving back to a series of five door mk7’s and aside from a very slight penalty in aesthetics by moving to five doors I can think of nothing but positive things in having a five door Golf.
I don’t think the 5 door looks that much worse:

True, a *real* GTI should perhaps have three doors and that was my thinking when I ordered my GTI back in 2013, but the extra doors and just as importantly the shorter front doors make motoring life so much more convenient.
I do agree about the better visibility with the three door though, that was another deciding factor when I ordered mine. Eventually that was outweighed by so many other practical advantages of the five door with minimal aesthetic penalty.
Oh, and I was never as impressed with the slide tilt of the mk7 three door compared to other models I’d owned. The slide was too limited in travel on my car.

Colour is a very personal thing.
Personally I love white GTI’s!

Any trepidation about moving to the digital AID was quickly dispelled in my own experience. I’d been quite rude about it on here (nothing unusual there) before experiencing it properly but grew to really like it very quickly. 

Jim is spot on about cost and justification.
A ‘normal’ GTI Performance or an R have plenty of things you could use as justification over and above a cheaper variant.
A TCR is more of an indulgence, you buy it purely for what it is and what it offers, or you reject it for any number of reasons be they looks, lack of 4wd at the price point or whatever.

I’ll be the last person to make any recommendations as I’ve done some pretty daft things as far as buying and selling various cars are concerned. Some I have slight regret over and some absolutely no regrets.

« Last Edit: 18 January 2020, 23:55 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #1184 on: 19 January 2020, 08:31 »
On that basis, you could end up with a white. 5 door, Dsg, GTi for considerable additional cost.

Where did it all go wrong? :)

When you put it like that, I do feel a bit stupid, but...

I was jesting, if slightly taken back as you have been such an advocate of the red "crew", pure 3 door, manual GTi :)

As we are posting car pics, let me help you stay on the right track?! :)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #1185 on: 19 January 2020, 09:17 »
Interesting to see your thoughts on the Oryx TCR, Watts.

I had a 3 door GTI before moving back to a series of five door mk7’s and aside from a very slight penalty in aesthetics by moving to five doors I can think of nothing but positive things in having a five door Golf.
I don’t think the 5 door looks that much worse:

True, a *real* GTI should perhaps have three doors and that was my thinking when I ordered my GTI back in 2013, but the extra doors and just as importantly the shorter front doors make motoring life so much more convenient.
I do agree about the better visibility with the three door though, that was another deciding factor when I ordered mine. Eventually that was outweighed by so many other practical advantages of the five door with minimal aesthetic penalty.
Oh, and I was never as impressed with the slide tilt of the mk7 three door compared to other models I’d owned. The slide was too limited in travel on my car.

Colour is a very personal thing.
Personally I love white GTI’s!

Any trepidation about moving to the digital AID was quickly dispelled in my own experience. I’d been quite rude about it on here (nothing unusual there) before experiencing it properly but grew to really like it very quickly. 

Jim is spot on about cost and justification.
A ‘normal’ GTI Performance or an R have plenty of things you could use as justification over and above a cheaper variant.
A TCR is more of an indulgence, you buy it purely for what it is and what it offers, or you reject it for any number of reasons be they looks, lack of 4wd at the price point or whatever.

I’ll be the last person to make any recommendations as I’ve done some pretty daft things as far as buying and selling various cars are concerned. Some I have slight regret over and some absolutely no regrets.

As the golf has got longer with each successive generation, it's debatable as to whether it looks better as 3 or 5 door. The mk5 gti definitely looks better with 3, I'm not so sure with the mk7.
I think also that colour and wheels make a difference. A white or red car on 19s looks better with 3drs.
I don't think I've seen an Isaac Blue car on standard wheels in 3 door- I suspect it wouldn't suit the colour or style of the car.
The other point about mk7- unlike previous generations- is that the 5dr car (from the figures I've see) is no more heavier than the 3dr. Not sure if the extra weight in previous generations made a difference to the drive, but it is another reason as to why 5dr suits the mk7
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1186 on: 19 January 2020, 09:26 »
Some more food for thought Watts  :smiley:

TCR 3 door

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1187 on: 19 January 2020, 09:56 »
I was jesting, if slightly taken back as you have been such an advocate of the red "crew", pure 3 door, manual GTi :)

As we are posting car pics, let me help you stay on the right track?! :)

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :laugh: I had to pop out to pick up some bits for tea last night and as I was returning to my car, seeing the lovely red under the forecourt lights I was thinking "what on earth am I doing?". And it really does drive great, I've no complaints bar the odd occasion when you hit that flat spot as the small turbo runs out of puff. But owning and loving your cars is like that, it doesn't always make sense and it is all about enjoying them. Obviously there are some practical constraints unless you're rich (I'm not!), but with a performance Golf it's difficult to go wrong!

Some more food for thought Watts  :smiley:

Lovely :smiley:

Thanks everybody for such good advice and very helpful comments, all of them, I'm very grateful. I'm going to shut up about this now and go curl up in a ball in a corner. Buying my house was a hell of a lot easier than this!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1188 on: 19 January 2020, 10:20 »
You’ve hit the nail on the head Watts. You can’t go wrong with any performance Golf. From what I saw yesterday the TCRs look very very nice indeed. Is it worth the premium over a PP? I’m not so sure just because it’s such a big difference. However, they are exceptionally cool. I paid a premium for my Ed35 years ago and the only thing I ever regretted was selling it. Good luck with the search!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1189 on: 19 January 2020, 11:14 »
Love the 3 Door White TCR which looks a pretty rare spec as most 3 doors seem to be Grey.

From the one I saw at Frankfurt in Tornado Red, I thought the interior was better
matched  to the white and grey exterior.

I’m in a similar place trying to justify a TCR over my PP.

The positives on my 3 door; Art Velour interior, Manual , Refined on long journeys and being Isaac Blue can blend in when required to.

The positives for a TCR: More of an enthusiasts choice, rare, increased performance.

I think I need a test drive

2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten