Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245805 times)

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1030 on: 30 September 2019, 11:43 »
Will try to get some photos up in due course.

Not really had enough time with it to put thoughts down yet (past the obvious) as not had much time with it but will put some down over the coming days.

Really happy with the colour and think the mirrors match the wheels nicely (Reifnitz) as someone mentioned swapping them out - just my opinion but think it looks great as is.  First petrol station I pulled in to I got a comment on the car.  Crazy as this has never happened before and I was hoping it would be fairly low key.

Akra sounds 'ok' but haven't really opened up on the revs yet so expect it to come on song at higher rpm.  However, it looks much better for having them imo.

Will take some time to get used to the nav unit.  Really miss the iDrive from the BMW and can't see me growing to prefer this, but tend to use Apple car play more and more so maybe it won't be a big deal...

I really like the AID, but wish it was slighter sharper resolution.  But to be expected from being a MK7.5 with the MK8 around the corner. 

By the way, is there a way to show fuel remaining (in miles) when using Nav on AID?  I can see the gauge but like a countdown .  I can also see it in the dials, but quite like the speed showing.  Maybe I am just hoping for too much configuration  :smiley:

Suspension is much more comfortable and it corners flatter (to my feel) than my old m135i.  Maybe an unfair comparison as it did have the DCC equivalent.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1031 on: 30 September 2019, 12:12 »
Will try to get some photos up in due course.

Not really had enough time with it to put thoughts down yet (past the obvious) as not had much time with it but will put some down over the coming days.

Really happy with the colour and think the mirrors match the wheels nicely (Reifnitz) as someone mentioned swapping them out - just my opinion but think it looks great as is.  First petrol station I pulled in to I got a comment on the car.  Crazy as this has never happened before and I was hoping it would be fairly low key.

Akra sounds 'ok' but haven't really opened up on the revs yet so expect it to come on song at higher rpm.  However, it looks much better for having them imo.

Will take some time to get used to the nav unit.  Really miss the iDrive from the BMW and can't see me growing to prefer this, but tend to use Apple car play more and more so maybe it won't be a big deal...

I really like the AID, but wish it was slighter sharper resolution.  But to be expected from being a MK7.5 with the MK8 around the corner. 

By the way, is there a way to show fuel remaining (in miles) when using Nav on AID?  I can see the gauge but like a countdown .  I can also see it in the dials, but quite like the speed showing.  Maybe I am just hoping for too much configuration  :smiley:

Suspension is much more comfortable and it corners flatter (to my feel) than my old m135i.  Maybe an unfair comparison as it did have the DCC equivalent.

I have always thought the MK 7 O/S was just ok, improved from the MIB 1 to 2 but still in need of a lot of work, and also the screen resolution (you should see how poor the early MK 7 MIB screens were in resolution)

Other than a cursory look (screen and O/S fatigue given work in IT industry and with developers, I think) not really seen the display in action so coming from dials of my MK 7 some learning will need to be done there - But imagine my thinking stay the same, in that the VW O/S is quite clean and functional but could be made so much better and so no surprise to read you say the iDrive was better as it is, though will counter that slightly by saying maybe its a little too fussy and convoluted.

However, after 6 years already in a MK 7 cabin, its still a nice place to be, good quality and the simplicity and layout is one of its positives also - The A35 AMG that looked at did initially wow but fatigue soon set in on it just being more screes and funky O/S - There was also some quality issue with switches IMO, plastic/chrome

So the MK 7.5 might not be pushing any boundaries on the interior and it maybe falls behind some of others in terms of tech but also its miles ahead of other competitors in being a nice place to be.

Once set up I tend to change little, and just drive, my main go to is just the radio and if going to do some miles its podcasts from BBC Sounds on the CarPlay which is much much better now, though wish it was bluetooth.

I am strangely looking forward to the TCR getting dirty and being a little stealthy in winter as do think it will attract more attention even if to many its still quite VW restrained - I have no idea how I would cope with a Type R if thats my thinking

Jury out on Akrapovic sound obviously as nobody had one long enough to run in, and if worth the ££ comes into that assessment too, but one thing there is no doubt, is that look pretty good :)

Is that 4 on the forum now?

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1032 on: 01 October 2019, 09:06 »
A rare English review on the TCR with a head to head with a Megane Trophy by EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwP5--0VI78

No surprise in the result as from all understand the Trophy is well set up to be great on a track but was interesting to see that TCR was only one second down on the R on same track and at reassuringly at a pace and series of bends I am highly unlikely to ever undertake on my travels the TCR was sticking like glue on the turn in, some squeal yes, but no getting out of shape at all.

The Megane Trophy however was quite lively and even in this guys capable hands he did have a minor shock moment as he backed off into a corner.

Also, that Trophy interior  :sick:

Good overall comments on the TCR on the original drive around which is more where my interest lied.

My feeling is that TCR is going to be a completely different drive to my present R and there will be some learning no matter how familiar I am with the MK 7 as the R is completely point and go and R then takes care of everything else, where maybe the TCR demands a little more from me? will know soon :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1033 on: 01 October 2019, 14:49 »
A rare English review on the TCR with a head to head with a Megane Trophy by EVO

No surprise in the result as from all understand the Trophy is well set up to be great on a track but was interesting to see that TCR was only one second down on the R on same track and at reassuringly at a pace and series of bends I am highly unlikely to ever undertake on my travels the TCR was sticking like glue on the turn in, some squeal yes, but no getting out of shape at all.

The Megane Trophy however was quite lively and even in this guys capable hands he did have a minor shock moment as he backed off into a corner.

Good overall comments on the TCR on the original drive around which is more where my interest lied.

My feeling is that TCR is going to be a completely different drive to my present R and there will be some learning no matter how familiar I am with the MK 7 as the R is completely point and go and R then takes care of everything else, where maybe the TCR demands a little more from me? will know soon :)

This head to head test was in the evo magazine a few months ago and made for an interesting read. In the article, essentially the TCR was a little better but he still chose the Megane. Which isn't a reflection on the real world as factor in day to day liveability and then re-saleabiity/depreciation and suddenly the Golf has got to be the one.

The more interesting thing was when I read what tyres were fitted to this high performance, track and fast road-oriented Megane.. Yes, the dreaded S001! Funny that Renault chooses to fit what most of us think of as an outdated tyre.

Apart from special edition, lightweight 19-inch alloys shod with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres, there’s little to differentiate the Trophy from the regular RS but, unlike the overly familiar, sober-suited Golf (or, indeed, the absurdly addended Civic Type-R), the Megane nails the sweet spot between tasteful muscularity and conspicuous circuit ambition and simply looks the biz.

But at speed on these roads with Sport selected, massive grip, quick and feel-full steering, a completely nailed down front end and the neutral/edge-of-oversteer balance (with ultimate ESC safety net) is more engaging than anything the Golf can muster. It will force you to tap into levels of concentration you probably didn’t realise you had.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1034 on: 01 October 2019, 19:55 »
I'm just waiting for the replies saying Renault and VW haven't a clue what they are doing with tyres :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1035 on: 01 October 2019, 20:53 »
I'm just waiting for the replies saying Renault and VW haven't a clue what they are doing with tyres :whistle:

They know what they are doing, just what they are doing isn't necessarily what owners want.

The things they are doing are:

1) Trying to get some sort of gamed CO2 figures.
2) Getting the cheapest tyres they can get away with through some sort of huge mega buy that lasts multiple years.

In these criteria, I am sure they are perfectly happy with the result.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1036 on: 02 October 2019, 06:22 »

They know what they are doing, just what they are doing isn't necessarily what owners want.

The things they are doing are:

1) Trying to get some sort of gamed CO2 figures.
2) Getting the cheapest tyres they can get away with through some sort of huge mega buy that lasts multiple years.

In these criteria, I am sure they are perfectly happy with the result.
How about both cars were developed with that particular tyre because the characteristics of the tyre suited what they wanted the car to drive like?  :wink: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1037 on: 02 October 2019, 17:50 »

Noted on another forum that the intake sounds are different and maybe just mic placement but the TCR was making some nice sounds (never picked it up as just watched from phone, but on a PC with headphones you hear everything)

Still not established whether there is a Soundaktor or whether everything is native? any of new owners confirm, and thoughts on sounds in this video, the opinion was its not stock with the intake noises it was making? 

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1038 on: 03 October 2019, 07:13 »
It’s how the car sounds, nothing artificial at all and no Sondaktor. I haven’t ragged mine to the same extent as in the Evo track test by any means but when given the beans it makes some very nice noises and there is noticeable intake sound but I would say overall you hear more engine noise than my previous PP so perhaps there’s less, or a different approach to, engine bay / firewall sound insulation.

Do you have a date yet Hertsman?
« Last Edit: 03 October 2019, 07:21 by Philip »
TCR 3 door

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1039 on: 03 October 2019, 09:28 »
It’s how the car sounds, nothing artificial at all and no Sondaktor. I haven’t ragged mine to the same extent as in the Evo track test by any means but when given the beans it makes some very nice noises and there is noticeable intake sound but I would say overall you hear more engine noise than my previous PP so perhaps there’s less, or a different approach to, engine bay / firewall sound insulation.

Do you have a date yet Hertsman?

Thats good to read as tend to stay in individual just to have the soundaktor turned to ECO (basically off)

I would rather less noise than artificial noise - The R cabin is pretty well insulated but do enjoy the natural deep tones and overruns that do hear and from what you saying it seems that there is an increased natural element to the drive, but not onerous, so hopefully the right balance

Had my registration confirmed and that the car which arrived a couple of weeks ago has now been moved to the dealer, presumably for its PDI, so just awaiting the call to agree delivery :)

Had a spell of really enjoying my R again after ordering the TCR, including an 800 mile round trip around Jurassic coast, then settled back into a period of just driving it, but last week or so been appreciating its virtues again, and kinda sad its going as feel so at one with it, - TCR has a lot to live up to.