Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245722 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1010 on: 18 September 2019, 09:13 »
Yes, think it's likely to be low miles on the 69 plate press car. Would hope it would sound better as the miles increase.

But yes the tips look great and suit the car perfectly.

It is annoying that VW haven't done a bit more with the performance Golfs. I'm sure they would be a great market for some performance-related, warranty-approved accessories such as different wheels, exhausts, intakes, remaps etc. Almost sure they would be a market for these things.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #1011 on: 18 September 2019, 13:03 »
Those looks great. Helped by a very clean R and big brake kit  :cool:

Agree. I've spent a bit of time on the racing line website and am thinking of some upgrades to the CSS. I feel I need to do a back to back comparison so might head over to MK where they're based and try their demonstrator.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1012 on: 18 September 2019, 13:18 »
Those looks great. Helped by a very clean R and big brake kit  :cool:

So Andrew @ Volkswizard has done a short sound comparison between a TCR with the new Akra and one without. Got to say, disappointed to hear there is hardly any difference between the 2 and possibly to me the one without sounds better. Guessing it could be that the latest Akra equipped one is literally brand new so would think would start to sound better once it’s fully run. But it you’d just stumped up £3k don’t think you’d be overly impressed.

What do others think?

https://youtu.be/J__kY5Jl7Ps

Both exhausts have to meet the noise regulations so I suppose there’s not too much the actual volume can be turned up by VW/Akra but the titanium system does sound more aggressive and has a proper bark to it.
It’s not a £3k better noise though!
The standard system actually sounds quite good, but the Akra just sounds that bit more motorsport.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1013 on: 18 September 2019, 16:00 »
Having now watched the clips a couple times on my TV with sub-woofer turned on as this obviously mimics real life in the same way as Audi advertise their RS models in heavy bass surround sound cinemas  :whistle:

I actually prefer the sound of the pre-Akra exhaust but do appreciate as above that exhausts take time to bed in. The Akra definitely has a more aggressive snarl at certain points but I like the deep toned original too.
How different they sound from inside the car though?

Anyway, VW have taken the choice away so maybe that’s a good thing. It’ll be interesting to see how much £££ difference in retained values between 19 and 20 MY’s in a couple years.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1014 on: 23 September 2019, 13:38 »
As my GTI TCR is arriving soon been thinking what feel could have added to the R that would have been of benefit over its time and the two items that think would be useful are a decent boot liner and some clear bumper protection (as it does scratch pretty easily).

Before start searching thought best to ask here where folk have found the best solutions either OEM or next best product?

Have allowed myself a small GTI indulgence and ordered 2 x genuine GTI silicone key covers

Now think the caps suit the Reifnitz wheels and abandoned switching them, not anything else that can think of that would really desire and be beneficial other than these 2 items, though open to some must have GTI accessory suggestions as this is my first GTI having danced around it for many years.

« Last Edit: 23 September 2019, 13:56 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1015 on: 23 September 2019, 13:57 »

Have allowed myself a small GTI indulgence and ordered 2 x genuine GTI silicone key covers

though open to some must have GTI accessory suggestions as this is my first GTI having danced around it for many years.

2 silicone covers, you've gone wild then?!

I'm not sure there are any must-have GTI accessories, to be honest. T-Shirt and cap if you want to resemble Joey from Friends! Some would probably say rubber mats and mudflaps!  :grin:

A nice keyring is always as far as I go with accessories.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1016 on: 23 September 2019, 14:14 »

though open to some must have GTI accessory suggestions as this is my first GTI having danced around it for many years.

2 silicone covers, you've gone wild then?!

I'm not sure there are any must-have GTI accessories, to be honest. T-Shirt and cap if you want to resemble Joey from Friends! Some would probably say rubber mats and mudflaps!  :grin:

A nice keyring is always as far as I go with accessories.

The covers not much of an investment so see how much like them, and do like that 'Clark' patterned key ring - Though the TCR is understated to some when thinking performance cars its actually a little on the edge for me! and that carries into other areas so there be no GTi Baseball caps etc :grin:

One thing lived without but am now mulling is dashcam, which have looked at the nextbase 522 G with rear view but my issue is that they are a little intrusive (in size and fitting) sitting up there - not really looked at before so need to go see them in flesh and see just how big/small etc they actually are - parking mode is one of the useful features given how many times the R was dinked
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1017 on: 23 September 2019, 16:19 »
Yes, agreed with the dashcam. Bought a Nextbase 212 to try for my first GTI and had it hardwired in by Halfords and have installed in my current one. So many idiots it just gives you a bit more peace of mind but wouldn't call it a GTI accessory as such! Would prefer one with a better parking mode than mine though.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1018 on: 26 September 2019, 21:14 »
Nice spec - Prets, Akra, Nav Pro, 2k Miles

£35.5k

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #1019 on: 27 September 2019, 00:59 »
As my GTI TCR is arriving soon been thinking what feel could have added to the R that would have been of benefit over its time and the two items that think would be useful are a decent boot liner and some clear bumper protection (as it does scratch pretty easily).

Before start searching thought best to ask here where folk have found the best solutions either OEM or next best product?

Now think the caps suit the Reifnitz wheels and abandoned switching them, not anything else that can think of that would really desire and be beneficial other than these 2 items, though open to some must have GTI accessory suggestions as this is my first GTI having danced around it for many years.

Don't buy a VW boot liner, they're not worth the money and they're not that great a product. I bought a Weather Tech liner and it's so much more durable and better made. You also get a heavy duty roll out matt to cover the lip and rear bumper to prevent it scratching the tailgate. It's affixed with press studs and tucks out the way neatly. It's also useful in winter if you need to lean into the car as it means you don't get any of the muck that will be sucked up the back of your car on your trousers. Unclip the studs and wipe down or rinse. I was sceptical but believe it's the best solution to the problem.

I looked at PPF - the cutting pattern is a waste of time, it doesn't provide enough coverage and the standard cutting patterns that you get with Xpel have similar shortcomings.

£96 might seem a lot but you've got a better product on both counts and you can take it into your next car. I'll post up some pictures as I've actually got the TCR this week. Went for grey to complement the Pure Grey of the TCR and I must confess to liking the lift it gives the black on black on black on black of the standard boot.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR