Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245748 times)

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #870 on: 11 August 2019, 10:04 »
I went to stage 3 on 29th of June (build week confirmed) but no movement since. I thought VW worked on a 4 week plan so was expecting to move to stage 4 by now. Anyone seeing the same?

Mine was also confirmed on 26th but build week was for 33(this week), seems most TCR is for build this week so maybe they’ll all come off the production line togerther.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #871 on: 11 August 2019, 19:13 »
The only thing I am going to change on the TCR is the Caps, from that rubbish Matte finish to the Gloss, and might get a clear boot/bumper protector as my R has got a few minor scrapes there.

Hold off on changing the caps till you see the car, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. There are sufficient matt plastics on the bumpers and if you take the reifnitz wheels, they are a matt finish which ties them in. If you've gone for gloss Pretoria in black, I think then I'd change the mirror caps. Personally, I think gloss would be too shiny and the designers got it right. Which is entirely different to my view prior to getting the car.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #872 on: 12 August 2019, 09:19 »
The only thing I am going to change on the TCR is the Caps, from that rubbish Matte finish to the Gloss, and might get a clear boot/bumper protector as my R has got a few minor scrapes there.

Hold off on changing the caps till you see the car, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. There are sufficient matt plastics on the bumpers and if you take the reifnitz wheels, they are a matt finish which ties them in. If you've gone for gloss Pretoria in black, I think then I'd change the mirror caps. Personally, I think gloss would be too shiny and the designers got it right. Which is entirely different to my view prior to getting the car.

Have selected a new model before there has been any on the forecourts before but this is the first time that not seen what selected since! Not on a forecourt or on the road. Maybe they are more dense in other areas but not in my surround.

Surely yours must be getting increased look overs? especially from those who know their cars?

The TCR that did actually see close up were in Black and White but neither really gave me a feel for the caps being right on the Pure Grey.

The white was on Pretoria and I would 100% change them on that to the Gloss to match the wheel though think the gentleman with the Oryx White TCR got it right by colour matching the caps

The DBP was on Reifnitz so any chance of getting a feeling for the caps was quite lost. Black is not a great colour for the TCR.

You stated quite clearly prior that the fitted caps would go for the gloss caps, so if thats your thinking now from actual ownership then I would be wise to listen and just hold fire, receive and live with for a while and see if thinking aligns to yours or if its still a niggle to address - But thanks for thoughts as likely would have had replacements sitting here in a box ready to go.

Done nearly 1500 miles in the R in last month as toured some beauty areas which have paid much more attention to the drive knowing the TCR is close and should be able to give a pretty good R vs TCR comparison once put the obligatory 1000 miles on the TCR
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #873 on: 12 August 2019, 10:00 »

Done nearly 1500 miles in the R in last month as toured some beauty areas which have paid much more attention to the drive knowing the TCR is close and should be able to give a pretty good R vs TCR comparison once put the obligatory 1000 miles on the TCR

As a current R owner who really considered the TCR this will be interesting to read. Took my R done to Norfolk from Manchester and the car has been faultless. It has such a breadth of talent as every Mk7 has.  Hope you love the car. How long now?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #874 on: 12 August 2019, 11:12 »

As a current R owner who really considered the TCR this will be interesting to read. Took my R done to Norfolk from Manchester and the car has been faultless. It has such a breadth of talent as every Mk7 has.  Hope you love the car. How long now?

Had a real moment of self doubt once made the order of "have I done the right thing?!"

The R is so capable, so good to drive as a daily with genuine performance that I had already dismissed the latest on the block of the A35 AMG and was pretty much pressing the button on an Indium Grey R with Black Pretoria - Having done the Jurassic Coast, the Cotswolds and into Snowdonia in last month on a variety of roads the R has excelled itself, effortless and comfort when at set speed and crunching the miles and with some added smiles as moved around some of the better driving roads

Going to exclude Bournemouth and Poole from this as there is a camera and 20 MPH zone on every bend :)

I have a certain demographic of car can look at with ££ can spend and out of all the cars driven in that sphere the R has proven to be far and away the best - some of the compromises made over the years for comfort vs performance have not had to be made

My only knock on the R is that it can feel too capable, little heavy and the TCR I hope gives me R pace that so used to now with some more agility that used to on a more diluted level with wife Audi 180 BHP A1 - which is quite a fun drive for a town car.

Get the TCR in October, so not long now, probably just having parts screwed to the chassis as we speak - Cannot make any real worthwhile comparison till the 1000 miles is done and can drive in same manner as the R but as much as there is some narrative out there to R vs TCR there is none that seen on direct swap so I am as interested as anyone else to see how feel and if made the right decision.

My thoughts now is that I will come back and just say its a different flavour of great. 

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #875 on: 12 August 2019, 12:12 »
I see what folk are saying here....

But it strikes me as a bit weird...

The GTI was not as powerful and even at its power levels struggled for grip with FWD.

I still say it, the extra weight from the 4WD of the R over the rear makes it feel more stable over typical british roads too.

So those are the gripes and the R fixes both of those problems.... and now some folk are wishing for it to be less good?

If you had a whatever supercar, would you really be saying "yeah its ok but less power and less grip would be better"?? I know I'd be saying "more bootspace and not as close to the ground please", but comparing an R to a GTI isn't that.

Could what you seek be even better if you had a 2.0 TSI R line? Less, power, less grip.... less everything really?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #876 on: 12 August 2019, 13:07 »

The GTI was not as powerful and even at its power levels struggled for grip with FWD.

I still say it, the extra weight from the 4WD of the R over the rear makes it feel more stable over typical british roads too.

So those are the gripes and the R fixes both of those problems.... and now some folk are wishing for it to be less good?

If you had a whatever supercar, would you really be saying "yeah its ok but less power and less grip would be better"?? I know I'd be saying "more bootspace and not as close to the ground please", but comparing an R to a GTI isn't that.

Could what you seek be even better if you had a 2.0 TSI R line? Less, power, less grip.... less everything really?

And that is the reason why I have second guessed myself a load of times since.

Drove the GTD for 3 years (did a lot more mileage then) before selecting the R and stated many times its all the car you will ever need, decent performance and excellent economy and comfort when started to crunch the miles, but the R is one you want.

My only gripe on the GTD was the getaway traction which was painful till 13,000 miles until put decent tyres on it and from that point on it was just an initial scrabble when floored it, but even though light flickered you were still moving and got away.

Use my wife's A1 as a lite comparison to what mean by different experience as 185 BHP is decent amount of power in such a small car and it does feel lighter and more engaging, and the slight scrabble you get is part of it, not a detraction - standing there, and tramping, now thats rubbish, but its not a complaint seen on any TCR review read or seen

There was never once a feeling of any loss of on the move stability no matter the condition in the GTD and that understanding played a part in selecting the TCR, yes the AWD gives you total assurance, but the MK 7 (GTD +GTI) is pretty assured also,

Colleagues have GTI also, done many a mile in one, and never once did it feel compromised at pace in dry or wet and you not really feel the difference at all, as the R is mainly FWD until until need is there for some back wheel assistance.

My history prior to the GTD was back to back Audi A3 Quattro > GTD > R so well versed in benefits and the feeling of driving AWD.

So it was not a decision took lightly, pondered it loads, and had real doubts when ordered but from what seen of the TCR on all the reviews and some in the very wet it is coming across as being quite capable in all areas with that VAQ differential dragging the car around bends supremely well. everyone stating its a great drivers car.

Been on this forum a while now and not many GTI owners feel anything but love for their ride and sure if that was not the case, this is the place you would hear the moans.

Another tug for me was the heritage, always wanted a GTI since a kid and there was definitely the thinking that if passed on this version then it will never happen.

So, I too understand what you are saying as its been in my own head and the proof will only be in the driving and living with and we shall see how feel about the switching then in terms of drive - Of course there is some other adds for me as get the MK 7.5 lifts as well as the TCR trimmings and now it seems the Akrapovich - It will be a nice place to sit and live with for 3 years, now quite excited to be getting it and have something different.

So for me its not a competition with the R, I am its biggest fan, just been eulogising about an amazing drive around the some of the best parts of this country, I am just open to seeing what experience there is for me in the TCR

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #877 on: 12 August 2019, 14:35 »

And that is the reason why I have second guessed myself a load of times since.

Drove the GTD for 3 years (did a lot more mileage then) before selecting the R and stated many times its all the car you will ever need, decent performance and excellent economy and comfort when started to crunch the miles, but the R is one you want.

My only gripe on the GTD was the getaway traction which was painful till 13,000 miles until put decent tyres on it and from that point on it was just an initial scrabble when floored it, but even though light flickered you were still moving and got away.

Use my wife's A1 as a lite comparison to what mean by different experience as 185 BHP is decent amount of power in such a small car and it does feel lighter and more engaging, and the slight scrabble you get is part of it, not a detraction - standing there, and tramping, now thats rubbish, but its not a complaint seen on any TCR review read or seen

There was never once a feeling of any loss of on the move stability no matter the condition in the GTD and that understanding played a part in selecting the TCR, yes the AWD gives you total assurance, but the MK 7 (GTD +GTI) is pretty assured also,

Colleagues have GTI also, done many a mile in one, and never once did it feel compromised at pace in dry or wet and you not really feel the difference at all, as the R is mainly FWD until until need is there for some back wheel assistance.

My history prior to the GTD was back to back Audi A3 Quattro > GTD > R so well versed in benefits and the feeling of driving AWD.

So it was not a decision took lightly, pondered it loads, and had real doubts when ordered but from what seen of the TCR on all the reviews and some in the very wet it is coming across as being quite capable in all areas with that VAQ differential dragging the car around bends supremely well. everyone stating its a great drivers car.

Been on this forum a while now and not many GTI owners feel anything but love for their ride and sure if that was not the case, this is the place you would hear the moans.

Another tug for me was the heritage, always wanted a GTI since a kid and there was definitely the thinking that if passed on this version then it will never happen.

So, I too understand what you are saying as its been in my own head and the proof will only be in the driving and living with and we shall see how feel about the switching then in terms of drive - Of course there is some other adds for me as get the MK 7.5 lifts as well as the TCR trimmings and now it seems the Akrapovich - It will be a nice place to sit and live with for 3 years, now quite excited to be getting it and have something different.

So for me its not a competition with the R, I am its biggest fan, just been eulogising about an amazing drive around the some of the best parts of this country, I am just open to seeing what experience there is for me in the TCR

I think you'll love it.

As a 7.5 GTI owner, yes there are times where AWD would be useful, but as you say, that slight scrabbling adds to the character of the car. Never driven an R, but I had the chance to test drive one when I tested the GTI, and didn't feel the need. Fell in love with the GTI immediately.

Again, never driven an R, but I think if I did I'd find it a bit lacking in the charm that the GTI has, that's what I always imagine. There's a little bit of "the little car that could", the underdog, with the GTI, I feel. It's in a class of it's own, and I bet the TCR is brilliant. Bit jealous of the extra power the TCR has, which is why I'm considering a remap!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #878 on: 12 August 2019, 14:56 »
As I’ve said before, the Mk7 in any performance form is a great car (obviously I’m going to exclude the gtd then as it’s not a performance golf 😉).

Yes the Gti’s I’ve owned will scrabble a lot more than an R would as you’d expect, but that diff does a great job. It’s just a different experience in the R. The only car I’d happily swap my R for is a gti. That says it all.
There’s a perception that the R lacks character. I really don’t agree with that. It’s just so good at everything like all fast Golfs. It’s surprising how different it is to a gti if you get a chance to drive one. I honestly think that if the R was rebranded as a gti plus type model some people would be falling all over it, saying it’s phenomenal.

If you have to choose between any performance golf you’ve got a tough job ahead of you, just as I did. First world problems eh?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #879 on: 12 August 2019, 15:06 »
When purchasing my GTI PP in 2016 I had a 30 minute test drive in an R before doing the same in the GTI and my take away was that the R felt more planted and "grown up" if that makes sense, but wasn't as fun as the GTI which seemed somehow more eager despite the power deficit.

Some of that may be the different feel to the interior as the GTI is more colourful and to me special which is a theme that's certainly been carried through to the TCR.  And of course there's that red GTI badge on the boot and grill which sealed the deal  :smiley:
TCR 3 door