Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245717 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #840 on: 05 August 2019, 13:14 »
Feel VW have missed a trick on not going straight into 48 v with the MK 8 as that is revolution and sure they could have told a good story to the performance benefits in terms of the GTI and R.

I do too - there has to be a reason why this didn't happen though and it has to be something quite significant because every OEM needs to be showing their green credentials.

However, it was only ever going to be a 48v mild hybrid, not a "true" hybrid providing electric boost.

The proposed system is the same as the Passat *did* get - 48v electric start (with engine off coasting), electric turbo, all electric systems run from the 48v battery pack and charging from brake recovery.

All of that is about scraping arguably very small amounts of CO2 output back. The theory being that a million Golf's on the road all produce a few Kg less CO2 per year adding up to a fair old amount across the world.

The Mk8 does bring in theory less weight (which would be offset by the 48v system ironically), a larger boot and what we all seem to currently believe is an uglier shape :-/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #841 on: 05 August 2019, 13:38 »
Feel VW have missed a trick on not going straight into 48 v with the MK 8 as that is revolution and sure they could have told a good story to the performance benefits in terms of the GTI and R.

I do too - there has to be a reason why this didn't happen though and it has to be something quite significant because every OEM needs to be showing their green credentials.

However, it was only ever going to be a 48v mild hybrid, not a "true" hybrid providing electric boost.

The proposed system is the same as the Passat *did* get - 48v electric start (with engine off coasting), electric turbo, all electric systems run from the 48v battery pack and charging from brake recovery.

All of that is about scraping arguably very small amounts of CO2 output back. The theory being that a million Golf's on the road all produce a few Kg less CO2 per year adding up to a fair old amount across the world.

The Mk8 does bring in theory less weight (which would be offset by the 48v system ironically), a larger boot and what we all seem to currently believe is an uglier shape :-/

Latest evo article with the GTI camo pictures suggests the use of a 12v system still?

Despite the threat of widespread mass-hybridisation within the Volkswagen Group, the Mk8 Golf GTI will likely retain its 2-litre turbocharged petrol engine, and instead include possible mild-hybrid assistance, perhaps in the form of the 12V system as seen in the recent Audi A4 TFSI with which it shares its engine. This system is designed to ‘trim’ the petrol engine’s outputs, by recuperating energy and deploying it back into the electrical systems rather than directly assisting drive as in other mild-hybrids.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-2020-mk8-volkswagen-golf-gti-spied-for-the-first-time
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #842 on: 05 August 2019, 13:46 »

IMO - VW are treading very carefully with their GTI brand that is established and is currently as good as it’s ever been. I think they have tried it but are not satisfied with how the tech works/feels in the GTI’s ethos. If they get it wrong it could be £catastrophic, so they are being cautious and rolling out to other brands (Skoda) first.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #843 on: 05 August 2019, 13:46 »
https://youtu.be/0YWGWoFCwlM

A good watch here from Volkswizard.

Bit of a bold statement as being the best GTI ever! - been enjoying my R as clock ticks down on its ownership but must admit starting to look at October with some anticipation now, :) My first GTI
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #844 on: 05 August 2019, 16:09 »
What an earth is going on here with this TCR? Think they are going to struggle to sell this, black isn't the best colour and horrendously painted non-TCR wheels.  Very odd for a nearly new car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907069779547?sort=sponsored&model=GOLF&make=VOLKSWAGEN&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20TCR&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=s37bh&radius=1500&page=1

I noticed that one trawling through the VW used car search at work last week.
A few question marks over the colour scheme!  :grin:

They obviously wanted to make a statement in their showroom!

Bit of a bold statement as being the best GTI ever! - been enjoying my R as clock ticks down on its ownership but must admit starting to look at October with some anticipation now, :) My first GTI

He’s got a bit of experience in the area!
Plus I’m sure he didn’t get any financial assistance from JKM...

I’d agree with his assessment though.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #845 on: 05 August 2019, 20:04 »
Saw one for the first time today when picking up mine from service, looked nice

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #846 on: 06 August 2019, 09:14 »
What an earth is going on here with this TCR? Think they are going to struggle to sell this, black isn't the best colour and horrendously painted non-TCR wheels.  Very odd for a nearly new car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907069779547?sort=sponsored&model=GOLF&make=VOLKSWAGEN&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20TCR&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=s37bh&radius=1500&page=1

I noticed that one trawling through the VW used car search at work last week.
A few question marks over the colour scheme!  :grin:

They obviously wanted to make a statement in their showroom!

He’s got a bit of experience in the area!
Plus I’m sure he didn’t get any financial assistance from JKM...

I’d agree with his assessment though.

Thats a ruined TCR right there! Black is not a great colour for the MK 7.5 anyway given the increased body features that get lost and thats more so on the TCR and there is more than enough red accents without adding them to the wheels! Less is more sometimes and this proves that adage  :grin:

I am a subscriber to Andrew YouTube and like his style of presentation as its easy on the eyes and ears, just like talking to someone who shares your interests over a beer and he is of course knowledgeable as he has been hands on with these cars for years. His opinion on the previous TCR video he did allayed some of the nervousness had of choosing the TCR over the R and this latest video in comparison to the clubsport has only strengthened that.

Been enjoying my R, appreciating it more now know its going but must admit at the tipping point now and want to get behind the wheel on the TCR - about 8 weeks wait now.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #847 on: 06 August 2019, 09:26 »

Technically though, he is probably right. As Andrew points out, The CSS loses what makes the GTI what it is - a practical hot hatch and therefore limits the appeal. The CS is probably the perfect one, with buckets but the TCR has the added appeal of all the power all the time and the modern feel of the 7.5. It's a massive shame the TCR can't be spec'd with buckets though as that would have made it very special. It's on my list for possible replacements next year. But it does need a different spoiler, the more I see pictures the more the diffuser looks too big for the tiny excuse of a spoiler.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #848 on: 06 August 2019, 09:41 »
It's on my list for possible replacements next year.

Where are you going to find one next year? If you haven't ordered one now, you won't get one will you? Mk7.5 production will end with the summer shutdown and Mk8 begin...

There is still a lot of speculation about the naming of the two new GTI Mk8's. Most stories suggest two versions, like the Mk7. Some say the new PP will be "TCR" and some say its "club" or "cup". Who knows!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #849 on: 06 August 2019, 10:08 »

Technically though, he is probably right. As Andrew points out, The CSS loses what makes the GTI what it is - a practical hot hatch and therefore limits the appeal. The CS is probably the perfect one, with buckets but the TCR has the added appeal of all the power all the time and the modern feel of the 7.5. It's a massive shame the TCR can't be spec'd with buckets though as that would have made it very special. It's on my list for possible replacements next year. But it does need a different spoiler, the more I see pictures the more the diffuser looks too big for the tiny excuse of a spoiler.

The changes I would make -

Get the bucket seats but not essential for me
definitely the Alcantara Steering Wheel
Definitely the CS Spoiler
Definitely Black Gloss Caps (Will have these ready to go on when receive)

That would make it as close to how would want to see it - however, in reality small items and not really going to taint it too much as a daily experience)