Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245744 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #830 on: 30 July 2019, 18:38 »
We can guess and surmise forever here about the 48v electrics. Could be so many different things. tech issues, supply issues (bearing in mind other cars such as the ID range about to come on stream, cost (keeping in mind the R and GTI have a lot of direct competition now), saving a slot for a higher powered model to take on the A45/possible future M140i at a higher price point but still undercutting and not treading on the toes of the RS3...

I think it’s a real shame it’s been dropped for the time being, the main attraction of a mk8 R would be that 48v motor giving lightning off the line acceleration and low running costs.

Back to TCRs, I’ve now seen three!
The Pure Grey showroom car at VW Exeter, another grey I saw from time to time between Exeter and Newton Abbot on the coast road and now I’ve seen Murray VW Newton Abbot’s demo white TCR which I thought looked really nice too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #831 on: 30 July 2019, 19:14 »
We can guess and surmise forever here about the 48v electrics. Could be so many different things. tech issues, supply issues (bearing in mind other cars such as the ID range about to come on stream, cost (keeping in mind the R and GTI have a lot of direct competition now), saving a slot for a higher powered model to take on the A45/possible future M140i at a higher price point but still undercutting and not treading on the toes of the RS3...

I think it’s a real shame it’s been dropped for the time being, the main attraction of a mk8 R would be that 48v motor giving lightning off the line acceleration and low running costs.

The Pure Grey showroom car at VW Exeter, another grey I saw from time to time between Exeter and Newton Abbot on the coast road and now I’ve seen Murray VW Newton Abbot’s demo white TCR which I thought looked really nice too.

Think it’s likely a mix of all you stated and just too much to roll out at one time effectively which by passing gives them another ta da moment for let’s say the MK 8.5

Since the TCR has come out I have travelled about 2500 miles and am yet to see one off the forecourt ( not seen my pure grey car in flesh at all! That’s never happened to me so close to receiving on a newer model), which is same for the ClubSport so as much as sure a few have been sold the fact that a well established forum for the GTI only has a handful of members getting TCR it’s going to be a relatively rare sight against the many GTI PP and R see
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #832 on: 30 July 2019, 19:46 »
Spotted my first TCR yesterday in Chesterfied  :cool:

IIRC the reg ended in TCR.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 10:30 by o`Neil »

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #833 on: 31 July 2019, 00:07 »
Thinking about it I haven’t seen another on the road since getting mine a month ago and I live less than half a mile from a VW dealership (not the one I bought from), not sure if they’ve had any in, but certainly not seen any about
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #834 on: 01 August 2019, 07:36 »

I keep seeing the same one every day, usually in the morning and evening.  :grin:

I haven't read the Clarkson review, The Times paywall kept me out.

While he likes the GTI in general, I don't think he has any qualms about complaining or saying what he feels. But I must confess to being surprised that he likes it as much as he does.

Thought we'd all be talking about the Megane Trophy R at £72k and what great value the TCR is in comparison (I know it's not Apples and Apples)....

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #835 on: 01 August 2019, 08:14 »

I keep seeing the same one every day, usually in the morning and evening.  :grin:

I haven't read the Clarkson review, The Times paywall kept me out.

While he likes the GTI in general, I don't think he has any qualms about complaining or saying what he feels. But I must confess to being surprised that he likes it as much as he does.

Thought we'd all be talking about the Megane Trophy R at £72k and what great value the TCR is in comparison (I know it's not Apples and Apples)....

I am sure the Megane Trophy R is quite a drive but you could pretty much 2 x TCR on drive for the price - Its a lot of money for a hot hatch no matter how impressive the numbers - Like you said its not apples and apples, but in terms of interior and quality its not a car sitting in that feels like £72,000, imagine the stripped out ClubSport S still feels like a nice place to be and at more than half the price.

If I had £72,000 I would be looking Porsche and not sure what that would get me, but pretty sure it would feel more like the £72,000 spent when sitting in it.

Not really running the Megane down as its obviously a hard edged special thats not overly easy to make direct comparisons but more likely to be looking at the A45 or RS3 if spending that money in this segment
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #836 on: 01 August 2019, 09:59 »
A Renault Megane for £72k?
I could only think of Alan partridge’s classic quote -

With a mere ninety break-horse-power available, progress is too leisurely to be called fast, but on the motorway in fifth gear the Megane’s slow pace really becomes a pain. Uphill runs become power-sappingly mundane, while overtaking National Express coaches can become a long, drawn-out affair.” Not my words, Carol. The words of Top Gear magazine. Hello?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #837 on: 02 August 2019, 15:59 »
https://youtu.be/0YWGWoFCwlM

A good watch here from Volkswizard.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #838 on: 04 August 2019, 00:37 »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #839 on: 05 August 2019, 12:50 »
What an earth is going on here with this TCR? Think they are going to struggle to sell this, black isn't the best colour and horrendously painted non-TCR wheels.  Very odd for a nearly new car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907069779547?sort=sponsored&model=GOLF&make=VOLKSWAGEN&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20TCR&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=s37bh&radius=1500&page=1
« Last Edit: 05 August 2019, 13:20 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey