Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245746 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #810 on: 04 July 2019, 10:47 »
Cars don't beep now on reverse so why would electric cars need to??

My wife's Auris Hyrbid does - it's so fecking annoying!! Hard to tell what the sensors are doing with the beeping.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #811 on: 04 July 2019, 12:02 »
One question had for a while, is there a sound aktuator? I read there was not and sound is completely native (you can check in the menu under individual as if its there, there is a setting to reduce the cabin fakery)

There isn't a sound actuator. I've said this, it's in the product literature too and several reviews have mentioned it. You can make your own broom broom noises if you want to but that's not an option on the menu system.  :grin: :tongue:

Try to read through everything but its now a long thread so apologies if missed it, but thanks for confirming again.

Its one of my major annoyances on the R hence been seeking the answer and though you can deselect it in individual or unplug it, its a definite plus its been completely removed.

On this subject did read there will be legislation coming for electric cars to have external fakery to imitate engine noise so as to warn pedestrians, which could be a ridiculous state of affairs - Would a Primus have a sport pack ferrari sound option  :grin:

Also every electric car will have to emit a beep on reversing!

Not sure how true this article was, but pollution will be replaced by noise pollution.

I was teasing, not having a go, no need to apologise. I know it's a major irritation.  :grin:

I think it's a really valid consideration to have an electric car emit sound but the implementation is what's key. The i8 I had produced an electro mechanical whir which did sound very sci-fi and I quite liked it but in the hubbub of London, it was lost. The amount of times people nearly stepped out on me was noticeable. If they'd look around instead of at their f&*@*! phones, it would help but still.... I'm trying out an e-Golf at the moment and I'm getting the same thing and I'm driving it in Bury St Edmunds which is considerably less congested.

But also think about people with visual impairment or those who are blind. Silent cars are a serious hazard, particularly under the shared access schemes that have been promoted. Tyre noise is your only way of really hearing a car unless there is a sound emission. It could be of variable output and be metered - the car adjusting for environment in a similar fashion to how your audio level increases to compensate for the increased noise at speed.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #812 on: 04 July 2019, 12:20 »
One question had for a while, is there a sound aktuator? I read there was not and sound is completely native (you can check in the menu under individual as if its there, there is a setting to reduce the cabin fakery)

There isn't a sound actuator. I've said this, it's in the product literature too and several reviews have mentioned it. You can make your own broom broom noises if you want to but that's not an option on the menu system.  :grin: :tongue:

Try to read through everything but its now a long thread so apologies if missed it, but thanks for confirming again.

Its one of my major annoyances on the R hence been seeking the answer and though you can deselect it in individual or unplug it, its a definite plus its been completely removed.

On this subject did read there will be legislation coming for electric cars to have external fakery to imitate engine noise so as to warn pedestrians, which could be a ridiculous state of affairs - Would a Primus have a sport pack ferrari sound option  :grin:

Not sure how true this article was, but pollution will be replaced by noise pollution.

I was teasing, not having a go, no need to apologise. I know it's a major irritation.  :grin:

I think it's a really valid consideration to have an electric car emit sound but the implementation is what's key. The i8 I had produced an electro mechanical whir which did sound very sci-fi and I quite liked it but in the hubbub of London, it was lost. The amount of times people nearly stepped out on me was noticeable. If they'd look around instead of at their f&*@*! phones, it would help but still.... I'm trying out an e-Golf at the moment and I'm getting the same thing and I'm driving it in Bury St Edmunds which is considerably less congested.

But also think about people with visual impairment or those who are blind. Silent cars are a serious hazard, particularly under the shared access schemes that have been promoted. Tyre noise is your only way of really hearing a car unless there is a sound emission. It could be of variable output and be metered - the car adjusting for environment in a similar fashion to how your audio level increases to compensate for the increased noise at speed.

Totally agree, nearly got ran over by a lexus in an underground car park and while actually paying attention and not looking at phone (share you angst on this, #1 on my pet hate list) the lexus was just upon me before sensed it.

There definitely does need to be some audio indication, but it would need to be an agreed standard of noise type and DB leveling otherwise it would be chaotic.

This is the Audi solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcbXplAvSc

The Jaguar one is this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JwfssNI3I

All very star wars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D3yGwubAcE

Not entirely sure they have it right yet, with all the different synthesized sounds out there it will sound like a Kraftwerk concert on the roads, dare I say Autobahn  :grin:

This is the ridiculous that would hope to avoid! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJR3FldQo88

Personally I would much prefer a produced electric sound that aligns with the electric motor than some petrol engine fakery, so lets make it sounds sport electric, a deeper winding up tone as accelerate.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 12:40 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #813 on: 04 July 2019, 15:28 »
I had to get a tyre repaired today due to a big screw! One thing I didn’t expect to see was a spare tyre that’s 18 inch as I’ve got the reifnitz sport pack with 19 inch wheels.

What do others have?
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #814 on: 04 July 2019, 15:58 »

Totally agree, nearly got ran over by a lexus in an underground car park and while actually paying attention and not looking at phone (share you angst on this, #1 on my pet hate list) the lexus was just upon me before sensed it.

There definitely does need to be some audio indication, but it would need to be an agreed standard of noise type and DB leveling otherwise it would be chaotic.

Not entirely sure they have it right yet, with all the different synthesized sounds out there it will sound like a Kraftwerk concert on the roads, dare I say Autobahn  :grin:

This is the ridiculous that would hope to avoid! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJR3FldQo88

Personally I would much prefer a produced electric sound that aligns with the electric motor than some petrol engine fakery, so lets make it sounds sport electric, a deeper winding up tone as accelerate.

If I had to get an electric car, and had to decide what running noise it had, to be heard by pedestrians, I'd pick the howl of a Tie Fighter. :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #815 on: 04 July 2019, 16:17 »

If I had to get an electric car, and had to decide what running noise it had, to be heard by pedestrians, I'd pick the howl of a Tie Fighter. :grin:

That would definitely be heard and have someone jump out of the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZm4oYpLCc

Lets hope you cannot choose your own noise like your ringtone, the roads sound like a film at an Imax
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #816 on: 04 July 2019, 16:19 »
I had to get a tyre repaired today due to a big screw! One thing I didn’t expect to see was a spare tyre that’s 18 inch as I’ve got the reifnitz sport pack with 19 inch wheels.

What do others have?

It should be a spacesaver wheel - are you saying its a full size 18" or a skinny spacesaver?

My wife has the pump/inflate system on her A1, and what a pain that would be, rather change a wheel everytime, even to a space saver, so happy it has a real tyre in the boot

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #817 on: 04 July 2019, 16:51 »

What do others have?

It should be a spacesaver wheel - are you saying its a full size 18" or a skinny spacesaver?

My wife has the pump/inflate system on her A1, and what a pain that would be, rather change a wheel everytime, even to a space saver, so happy it has a real tyre in the boot

Yes, definitely prefer a spare wheel but I’m sure I’d read that if you get the 19 inch wheels you only get the repair spray stuff. All good though
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #818 on: 05 July 2019, 10:58 »

What do others have?

Yes, definitely prefer a spare wheel but I’m sure I’d read that if you get the 19 inch wheels you only get the repair spray stuff. All good though

I've got 19" wheels, and a space saver. Not sure how big it is, and I've used it! Didn't even think. GTI PP, MY2018

Offline graham9883

• Not said much yet
« Reply #819 on: 06 July 2019, 12:46 »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182462456@N07/48204439507/in/dateposted-public/

Here my tcr had it a few weeks now. Love it so far.