Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245722 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #760 on: 18 June 2019, 21:23 »
The last TCR’s will likely be just like the GTI Pirelli, less tech and very slightly outmoded by the incoming new model but a great car in its own right with lots of unique touches.

I think something that goes in favour of the tech is Apple Car Play. A lot of the older models end up with a truly antiquated head unit but at least with Android/Apple, you can retain modernity as it were. The screen on the TCR will still look good in 5 years whereas the screen I had in my MKVI GTI looked ancient when it was delivered and I saw a MKVI the other day, was really surprised at how small the old screens were compared to modern equivalents. You sort of forget.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #761 on: 19 June 2019, 08:36 »
If not want to pay for the decals from VW due to cost but quite liked them, then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-TCR-Honeycomb-Side-decals-graphics-Kit-3-DOOR-KIT-Mk7-MK7-5-Mk8-GTI-GTD/123700139345?hash=item1ccd1a5551:g:-4EAAOSwRFNcp2vX&frcectupt=true

If I was to do this, I would go for a more subtle carbon opposed to the black

Colleague does Le Mans every year and gets his RS3 bedecked in different decals each time and they always look really good,

Anyone ever added any aftermarket decals to any of their cars
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #762 on: 19 June 2019, 09:00 »
The last TCR’s will likely be just like the GTI Pirelli, less tech and very slightly outmoded by the incoming new model but a great car in its own right with lots of unique touches.

I think something that goes in favour of the tech is Apple Car Play. A lot of the older models end up with a truly antiquated head unit but at least with Android/Apple, you can retain modernity as it were. The screen on the TCR will still look good in 5 years whereas the screen I had in my MKVI GTI looked ancient when it was delivered and I saw a MKVI the other day, was really surprised at how small the old screens were compared to modern equivalents. You sort of forget.

I think you are about to be shown how wrong that statement is.... all of the new vehicles currently slated for 2020 release have massive amounts of display areas and tech. Huge dashboard wide panoramic wrap around displays. The idea of a single display area is about to be as obsolete as a LCD cassette radio display... Oh and all of the mechanical switches are history too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #763 on: 19 June 2019, 09:23 »

I think you are about to be shown how wrong that statement is.... all of the new vehicles currently slated for 2020 release have massive amounts of display areas and tech. Huge dashboard wide panoramic wrap around displays. The idea of a single display area is about to be as obsolete as a LCD cassette radio display... Oh and all of the mechanical switches are history too.

Seriously looked at the A35 AMG as an R replacement so had a good play with the tech and with its twin 10" high definition displays and sharp, sometimes funky graphics there was definitely an initial wow factor, but returned a few times to see the car and each time that wow level dissipated to point I actually began to dislike it as it was a little too playstation and disengaging, and just another set of screens in my life!

Know its the way its going but just having flat or sweeping screens is a step backwards and even the base manufacturers can compete - Not opposed to digital, some of the digital dials are as good as some well engineered analogue its just the swathes of screen that include the driving details is not something ever going to take to.

What would like is actual digital dials (round) and then really large HD media screen in same place it is now with physical switches retained as gesture control is another meh

This of course is just me, and accept nothing is going to change the way its going, but advancement is not always for the best
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #764 on: 19 June 2019, 09:58 »

Seriously looked at the A35 AMG as an R replacement so had a good play with the tech and with its twin 10" high definition displays and sharp, sometimes funky graphics there was definitely an initial wow factor, but returned a few times to see the car and each time that wow level dissipated to point I actually began to dislike it as it was a little too playstation and disengaging, and just another set of screens in my life!

Know its the way its going but just having flat or sweeping screens is a step backwards and even the base manufacturers can compete - Not opposed to digital, some of the digital dials are as good as some well engineered analogue its just the swathes of screen that include the driving details is not something ever going to take to.

What would like is actual digital dials (round) and then really large HD media screen in same place it is now with physical switches retained as gesture control is another meh

This of course is just me, and accept nothing is going to change the way its going, but advancement is not always for the best

Never mind the fact that the "Tesla approach" massively reduces usability when driving along

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #765 on: 19 June 2019, 10:00 »

Agreed, no matter how modern your current car always feels, a new model soon puts paid to that. Just take a look inside a 2012 Audi or BMW and it'll be same looking inside a 2019 TCR in 2-3 years time. Dated. Doesn't stop it being a great car and my thoughts are that this Mk7.5 is one of the best out there but there's no getting away from the tech that's coming our way.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #766 on: 19 June 2019, 10:34 »
Aside from the integrated widescreen display, what "tech" and fucntionality are you talking about?

I've heard so much about how the MK8 is going to be a tech revolution etc, but there's nothing out there apart from the form/function of the AID that indicates it will be any different to what a 7.5can do.

:huh:
« Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 12:31 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #767 on: 19 June 2019, 12:17 »

I know, everything is going to be piano black, gloss, haptic surfaces. I'm talking about the usability of them not the aesthetic. The units in the MKVI are doorstops but at least you can extend the useful life of them to a degree with a phone interface. Providing the connections / wireless protocols remain supported of course.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #768 on: 19 June 2019, 12:21 »

I agree and think they've gone too far the other direction. That 992 911 I spent time with recently showed the failings of a pure digital approach. Everything was through touch interface and menus and when you're driving, reaching for a button or control knob is safer and more convenient. Shows up every spec of dust on the screens and haptic surfaces. Hugely responsive and fast interface though so impressive from that stand point but I like the relief and aesthetic of the old dials.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #769 on: 19 June 2019, 14:35 »
Obviously I don’t have a crystal ball and much of the “tech for tech’s sake” has been discussed to death in the mk8 thread, but looking at the main rivals for the mk8 GTI/R then dynamically they’ve not moved the game on despite being recently released models (A class and 1 series). The insides are much of a muchness with screens and option packs to make the screens even more like an XBOX fest so people can spend even less time concentrating on the actual job in hand - driving!
With the mk8 we will get 1 series and A Class rivalling screens surrounding us and full cinema mode in all of the options are ticked. All lovely and embraced by many on here I’m sure who will deem it all “essential”.
The success of the Mk7 R has made it such that instead of a middle ground super competent Golf R versus an expensive A45 or a charismatic M140i being massively different in character, all our choices will be circa 300bhp 4WD tech fests at the upper end of the performance 4cyl hatch bracket, with the proper hot hatches (FWD) being similar variations on a theme with less power and off the line traction (Focus ST, Golf GTI, i30N, Civic). It’ll actually be the FWD hatches that will be more diverse in character. And I’m glad of that, I’d swap fun for a few BHP.

Point being the TCR and Ed40 (plus of course the CSS in a much greater sense) are limited run cars for enthusiasts so I think the tech on these cars (which dates so quickly anyway, even the new VW i car thingies seem to be named like iPhones to demonstrate how quickly the tech moves on) will be less important down the line when owned as second or third cars by GTI enthusiasts, but the tech on them is quite sufficient right now and the Golf seems to be in good demand still.
Maybe it’s just as likely the prevalence of SUV’s and the incoming i type electric cars will mean the venerable old Golf platform itself will soon be seen as archaic.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner