Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245816 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #720 on: 07 June 2019, 12:55 »
At least they’re honest. When they say “take” they mean “take “ rather than “ buy and actually use”
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #721 on: 07 June 2019, 15:25 »

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. It was an off the cuff review as I know what it’s like waiting a long time for a car and also how much I appreciated these type of little ‘fixes’ until my own car arrived.

If people like reading them, I’m happy to keep doing them but don’t want to be a forum wind bag!  :shocked:

Definitely keep it coming. The more the better. Really interesting reading for those of us with similar but different models to relate to and inspiring for those with TCR’s coming. Great reference points, no matter how unstructured, for those who will never get to drive a CSS (self included) and are interested in the TCR.
Not just that, but your wealth of other experience with sports cars gives it all a reference point of how the sporty Golfs hold their own place against these as daily drivers.

To be honest, I have never strayed from a diet of VW and Porsche (in terms of purchasing) so I think many would accuse me of being a fan boy. I don’t think I am in the blinkered way that many people use the term and am honest about shortcomings or irritations where they exist.

I have tried to wander off the reservation a couple of times and add something else to the garage (Mercedes SLS, Audi RS4, Suzuki Jimny, GWagen Professional) but in every single case, the dealer experience was so poor or where they were able to organise themselves to get me a car to test drive, I was left unimpressed with the vehicle itself. The Suzuki Jimny that everyone has been raving about has the roughest engine outside of a Soviet era Lada (actually, the Lada is smoother) and the ‘its only £18k argument’ doesn’t wash as there are cars with better engines and which have higher NCAP scores at and below this price point. The RS4 had zero steering feel. It was ballistic and beautiful inside but the steering was so disconnected from the car, I might as well have been holding on to one of those child toy steering wheels that you connect to the back of a seat. Its unfathomable that a car at that price with an RS badge could have such a fundamental flaw relating to the driving experience.

My dealer lent me the 992 911 (latest generation if you don’t speak Porsche nerd) the other week and I had it for a few days. The car I had was £118k and looking at the 3 year residual on their finance offer to get an idea of depreciation, expected to lose 50% of that value in that term. I don’t buy on finance (other than using it to get discount contribution initially) and if I am spending that sort of money, I am not taking a 50% hit notwithstanding running costs but to spend that and hand it back after 3 years makes no sense to me as an ownership experience. The 992 was an incredible piece of engineering and considered I had one up from the base model in two wheel drive, being able to do 0-60 in just over 3 secs is quite something in a two wheel drive car. No doubt the GT and Turbo S will be significantly under 3 secs. Without going into specifics of which I could write a very long post, the 911 is not a sports car anymore, it has turned into a luxurious tech rich and highly civilised grand tourer which feels heavy when you throw it around. Phenomenal engineering but is it worth 3.5 TCRs? No.

My point via the examples above is that the GTI is a superb car on so many levels and against cars at much much higher price points. Which is why I will always have a GTI in the garage.

Without wishing to clog the thread up further with a long reply it’s really interesting to read your opinions there on some very highly regarded machinery.
With the proliferation of electronics it’s easy to dial in a certain feel to a car from the factory so it surprises me about the Porsche with its pedigree. They obviously know their market though!

At vastly different price points I think there are quite a lot of us here (aside from those on their first Golf and those on possibly their last as they move on to other things) who can be accused of being VW group fans to the exclusion of all else. The thing is most of us do consider carefully other marques only to find the products aren’t any better or more affordable (and a mixture of both) so end up back sat behind a VW group steering wheel once again...

I have a friend I’ve known for very many years who has worked since leaving school in a hire and leasing company. He’s a sales manager and gets to drive just about everything. He’s a totally no nonsense, warts and all type person if you ask him about any car. One week it’s an i8, a 911, a Fiat 500, a 3 series... he gets to pick up the keys to whatever is lying around in their large compound. Yet his own car of choice will always be a Golf GTI if he can nab one. He always says they’re at least as good as cars several price brackets above and can do it all. He’s no fan of the R funnily enough. They have a bad name in the trade as VW products go (which is still above most things!)

As for the points here about throttle pedal feel. It’s the same actual accelerator pedal used across the range so I’ll assume the electronics in it are the same.
The engines are definitely programmed differently. The R far more eager than the original mk7 GTI in response and the CS40 has a fractionally more pronounced keenness again when on boost.
Engine/throttle responses in all these models are good but only once past that initial lag that’s obviously there for some political reason. Most modern vehicles now seem to have that lag from my limited experiences so I assume journalists are conditioned to it. They also probably drive the cars far harder than an average owner does in day to day use as they have limited time to suss out characteristics and limits, plus performance testing. Maybe if journos actually moaned about the dead travel the manufacturers would more or less remove it in “Sport” mode.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #722 on: 07 June 2019, 17:53 »
Not sure if anyone saw the latest EVO? Comparison of a TCR to a Megane Trophy. After praising the TCR throughout and drawing parallels to the CSS, the journo then goes on to say they’d have the Trophy every time! Everything he wrote about the Trophy confirms why I would never look at a Renault so slightly odd outcome I thought.

Also notice a 5 door TCR with 1k miles for sale at £32,995 on PH.

Evo take their “ thrill of driving” theme to the extreme- they only ever consider the dynamic qualities of a car ( and usually on a smooth track) in judging how good a car is.
A car designed primarily for everyday road use is never going to be their winner in these head to heads.
I read evo for entertainment rather than information.
That said, I think i’ll go out and get a copy!! Thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean but people like Dan Prosser and Henry Catchpole I find myself in agreement with an awful lot. So while I agree that they’re always going to favour something a little ‘hairy’, I think they in particular balance pragmatism with the ethos of EVO. I also rate Stuart Gallagher who is ex Editor of GT Porsche and now EVO editor.

It’s the latest with a Ferrari Pista on the cover. If you miss it, I have Readly and happy to email you the article. Also worth reading is the CSS vs TCR vs MKV review they did two issues ago.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 18:00 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #723 on: 07 June 2019, 17:59 »
Not sure if anyone saw the latest EVO? Comparison of a TCR to a Megane Trophy. After praising the TCR throughout and drawing parallels to the CSS, the journo then goes on to say they’d have the Trophy every time! Everything he wrote about the Trophy confirms why I would never look at a Renault so slightly odd outcome I thought.

I read that and they said on points the TCR is better but they'd take the Megane. Of which the only people who would do that are the people who aren't paying for it themselves!

I know. Thank god they don’t umpire sport with that approach! Whenever a journalist says they like a car with character and summarises the failures of a car as such, it just makes me think they have been cosseted in too many luxury cars for a spell. It’s hard to buy a bad car on a functional level these days so sometimes I feel that journalists have to come up with some sort of contrary view or angle to make their reviews interesting or stand out.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #724 on: 07 June 2019, 18:37 »

Without wishing to clog the thread up further with a long reply it’s really interesting to read your opinions there on some very highly regarded machinery.
With the proliferation of electronics it’s easy to dial in a certain feel to a car from the factory so it surprises me about the Porsche with its pedigree. They obviously know their market though!

At vastly different price points I think there are quite a lot of us here (aside from those on their first Golf and those on possibly their last as they move on to other things) who can be accused of being VW group fans to the exclusion of all else. The thing is most of us do consider carefully other marques only to find the products aren’t any better or more affordable (and a mixture of both) so end up back sat behind a VW group steering wheel once again...

I have a friend I’ve known for very many years who has worked since leaving school in a hire and leasing company. He’s a sales manager and gets to drive just about everything. He’s a totally no nonsense, warts and all type person if you ask him about any car. One week it’s an i8, a 911, a Fiat 500, a 3 series... he gets to pick up the keys to whatever is lying around in their large compound. Yet his own car of choice will always be a Golf GTI if he can nab one. He always says they’re at least as good as cars several price brackets above and can do it all. He’s no fan of the R funnily enough. They have a bad name in the trade as VW products go (which is still above most things!)

As for the points here about throttle pedal feel. It’s the same actual accelerator pedal used across the range so I’ll assume the electronics in it are the same.
The engines are definitely programmed differently. The R far more eager than the original mk7 GTI in response and the CS40 has a fractionally more pronounced keenness again when on boost.
Engine/throttle responses in all these models are good but only once past that initial lag that’s obviously there for some political reason. Most modern vehicles now seem to have that lag from my limited experiences so I assume journalists are conditioned to it. They also probably drive the cars far harder than an average owner does in day to day use as they have limited time to suss out characteristics and limits, plus performance testing. Maybe if journos actually moaned about the dead travel the manufacturers would more or less remove it in “Sport” mode.

I wouldn’t say you’re clogging the thread, it’s affirming to know that other people agree as I sometimes feel like I am the only one who thinks like this. I have mentioned TCR a few times despite the slight diversion so have not derailed the thread too much I hope.  :laugh:

I have to confess to only really liking NA engines and the CSS and TCR are the only exceptions I have ever made on this. I had a 911 (991.2) last summer and it had a horrible lag. I kept putting it into boost mode or whatever stupid acronym Porsche gave it as it was the only way I could get the feel I loved. That hesitation and pedal lag doesn’t exist in the CSS and I can’t say I noticed it in the TCR but don’t know the car as well yet as I have not spent as much time with it. Pedal weights and feel in the CSS are very different to a manual MKVII GTI though.

I’d get on with your friend, I’ve never really been a fan of the R either. I chuckled when I saw mention of the i8. That’s responsible for some of the worst back pain I have ever had - supplies with the worst seats I have ever tried in any car in my entire life. But journalists never ever mention that.

YouTubers and Car Bloggers are in a better position to offer honest, credible reviews and I think Thomas of Autogefuhl is excellent at approximating the experience of poking around a car in detail. He tends to offer a fair review with a buyer’s consideration but without being on the manufacturer payroll. So many YouTubers are so excited by the free junkets that they give glowing reviews when they’ve ‘made it’ and are invited by manufacturers.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #725 on: 07 June 2019, 21:25 »

Evo take their “ thrill of driving” theme to the extreme- they only ever consider the dynamic qualities of a car ( and usually on a smooth track) in judging how good a car is.
A car designed primarily for everyday road use is never going to be their winner in these head to heads.
I read evo for entertainment rather than information.
That said, I think i’ll go out and get a copy!! Thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean but people like Dan Prosser and Henry Catchpole I find myself in agreement with an awful lot. So while I agree that they’re always going to favour something a little ‘hairy’, I think they in particular balance pragmatism with the ethos of EVO. I also rate Stuart Gallagher who is ex Editor of GT Porsche and now EVO editor.

It’s the latest with a Ferrari Pista on the cover. If you miss it, I have Readly and happy to email you the article. Also worth reading is the CSS vs TCR vs MKV review they did two issues ago.

Yes, I’m being a little cynical-they are good journalists.
The CSs v mk5 piece was particularly interesting- I don’t think there has been a CSS v TCR direct comparison as yet, it was good to read your experience.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #726 on: 07 June 2019, 22:17 »
I'm thinking of trying to order a TCR to replace my 7 GTi PP if I can get the figures right. If it's as good as my GTi then I'll be keeping it for a good while so I'm thinking of DCC, nav pro, dynaudio and climate screen. I've got all those options on my current GTi apart from climate screen but am thinking do I need all of them. I like the fact with the nav pro you can show the maps on both screens but then I'm thinking is that really necessary? My current car is also a manual as I didn't like the dsg Tiguan I had previously so is the dsg petrol much better? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #727 on: 07 June 2019, 23:23 »
I'm thinking of trying to order a TCR to replace my 7 GTi PP if I can get the figures right. If it's as good as my GTi then I'll be keeping it for a good while so I'm thinking of DCC, nav pro, dynaudio and climate screen. I've got all those options on my current GTi apart from climate screen but am thinking do I need all of them. I like the fact with the nav pro you can show the maps on both screens but then I'm thinking is that really necessary? My current car is also a manual as I didn't like the dsg Tiguan I had previously so is the dsg petrol much better? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So why not keep the 7 gti if it has all you need? The TCR does sound like an excellent car, but you’d be paying a lot and losing the manual box- which it seems you prefer

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #728 on: 07 June 2019, 23:31 »
I suppose it's the wondering if something newer and quicker in the TCRs case will be that much better than what I've got. Mines not perfect but it's still a great car. Front suspension knocks like buggery for the first 5 to 10 mins from cold for example. I do like the manual but the 7dsg intrigues me.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #729 on: 08 June 2019, 08:53 »

I personally wouldn’t bother with a Nav Pro, the way it works in the instrument cluster isn’t like Audi (where it fills the entire instrumentation screen) so it’s not that much of an advantage for the premium. I think the standard screen is sufficient personally and I actually like having control knobs instead of trying to hit a target area on the screen. Particularly when driving.

Think DCC is a good option although if Sport mode is anything to go by, the car will be just fine on standard damper setup. We don’t have the greatest roads in Suffolk and despite this and on 19 inch wheels, it’s not a harsh ride.

My wife had a Tiguan, it was the second generation bought in 2012 and I disliked the accelerator and the way that worked with DSG so if the same generation, totally understand your feelings. The accelerator was floor mounted versus being hung and I could never pivot my heel on the floor and get a smooth take off unless I pivoted higher up the pedal and took my foot off the floor. A really unnatural movement. They changed it in the next generation. Anyway, that’s not an issue on the TCR.